What would you pay for this PowerMac G5 I want to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mrzeve, Dec 11, 2008.

1. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

Mod's edit: This post is from the buyer's perspective, not a seller's.

General spec here for 1.8ghz with exceptions shown below. http://support.apple.com/kb/SP96

No keyboard or mouse included. OS/X Leopard, latest upgrade. Original disks, manual, keyboard and mouse.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Power Mac G5
    Model Identifier: PowerMac7,2
    Processor Name: PowerPC 970 (2.2)
    Processor Speed: 1.8 GHz
    Number Of CPUs: 2
    L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
    Memory: 2.5 GB
    Bus Speed: 900 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: 5.1.4f0
    Serial Number: XB3471K3QES

Disk Capacity: 149.05 GB
    Partition Map Type: APM (Apple Partition Map)
    S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200:
    Bus: AGP
    ROM Revision: 2060

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x4E)
    Wireless Card Locale: USA
    Wireless Card Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (4.170.25.8)

Bluetooth via USB included
    FireWire Bus Maximum Speed: Up to 800 Mb/sec

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-106D:

Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
    Reads DVD: Yes
    CD-Write: -R, -RW
    DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW
    Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO

2. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

i would think maybe 750... maybe?

it has a good amount of ram, and it does look just like a MacPro.

You could probably fool a few on craigslist. with honestly of course.:D

3. mrzeve thread starter macrumors 6502a

I currently use a 2.4ghz and 4gb ram intel iMac at work. What kind of speed difference am I going to see with this G5?

4. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

It'll be a fair bit slower, maybe 33-40% in my opinion. It would be a great machine if you need multiple monitors (plus you can add/upgrade the GPU), the ability to upgrade the HDs (add a lot more storage), etc. Don't expect it to be too great at number crunching though. Personally I would spring for another iMac unless I needed to drive multiple monitors from one machine.

5. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

I would think you could get 900-1100 on Ebay.

6. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

In this reality, only $500-600 if you are lucky. One thing you should mention is is this an early or late 2004? They came out with 2 versions of the 1.8 dual, the latter having 8 memory slots and I think PCI-X? The earlier one (like mine) has PCI and only 4 slots.

Oh and looking at the model identifier, it appears that yours is the same as mine or earlier as mine is 7,3. You also have the stock optical drive and video card. You mention no keyboard and mouse included but in the same line you mention the original CDs etc and keyboard and mouse are included?

7. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

Yeah, this would really mean the difference between a 500 dollar and a potentially 900 dollar machine.

Think about it, 8 RAM slots and PCI-X, a lot more expandability and potential for the future. I think there was some sort of LB defect in the earlier one too, but I'm not 100% sure. (I might be mixing it with the B&W G3s)

I would personally pay about 600 bucks for this unit. Granted I had the need for it, didnt have my other macs, and couldn't justify a brand new machine.

*edit* looked up the PowerMac7,2 designation. This is the PCI 4 slot version.

8. mrzeve thread starter macrumors 6502a

There seems to be some confusion here. I am the buyer, not the seller! Haha, thanks for the input thus far guys, keep it coming.

9. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

That woulda been nice to put that in the OP :p. Anyways I'd offer $450 for it if you are buying it locally.

10. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

I reread the specs and mistook the (2.2) as the clock speed...saw it was 1.8, I'll update my guess to 500-700.

Is this a Craigslist listing or a buddy? Make sure if you buy it to test it out before handing out cash if it's Craigs, etc...

11. Tastannin macrumors 6502

Tastannin

Yup, test, test and test! Honestly, if you are going to buy it for close to 750/so, why not go for a Macbook or even an intel iMac? Much better performance, and from previous experience, the G5 Powermac requires special brackets (if they are even still made) to install more than two (?) hard drives internally.

Still, if you are wanting the G5 for 500-600, you can get an intel Mac Mini for that price, and it'll still spank the G5. The only reason I can think you'd prefer the G5 is if you need the expansion and video card. Nothing you can get today that's considered standard for gaming (GeForce 8800 / Radeon 3870) will fit in the G5 anyways.

Save up for a Mac Pro if you can. You'll get better mileage out of it.

12. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

Yea, they do require these little black "feet" that screw into the sides and then slide in the chassis. You can get them off Ebay easily.

It's a good idea to look for an iMac or Mini, most programs being written are for Intels and aren't compatible with the PPC Macs. Also there is no real gaming on the PPCs as there weren't many games written for them.

13. mrzeve thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is an intel mini really better then the G5? I feel like the slow drives in the minis kill the speed. Unless they upgraded them, I had a mini back when it was a G4.

I'm interested in a G5 cause I would be able to dual, and upgrade if need be. Or atleast, I thought so.

14. Tastannin macrumors 6502

Tastannin

The brackets I'm actually talking about are here

[​IMG]

and here.

[​IMG]

I had the first one in my G5. Was very nice, but I think the Mac Pro's solution is more elegant (of course!).

15. Tastannin macrumors 6502

Tastannin

Dual - dual processor? Dual drive? All new intel Macs sold by Apple today are dual processor. The only intel SP mac was the low end Core Solo 1.5 mini when it first went intel. Any Mac can have dual or more drives via Firewire/USB.

Intel Mini's are pretty fast. It's simple to open up, and trival to get an SATA cable plugged into the drive port so you can run it off an external 3.5 SATA drive. Even a 3.5 firewire external is faster. I don't know if anyone has put a Velociraptor 2.5 10k rpm drive in a Mini, but that'd be fast too. :)

I was very happy with mine, but sold it to build a quad core Hackintosh, LOL

16. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

As far as video options go, certainly not. But the CPU is faster, and if Apple actually took a little interest in the Mini and upgraded the thing, I have no doubt that it would be almost completely superior to a G5... and probably cheaper.

I would consider against buying a PPC mac in general. You can probably get a decent deal, but PPC Mac's are quickly turning into dead technology, especially if the rumor holds true that Snow Leopard will be Intel only. Anything over $500 is a lot to spend on a desktop that is almost obsolete in the computing realm.

If you really want a new computer, I would suggest waiting until MacWorld and seeing if they have any good news.

And, to answer your question, I wouldn't pay a dime over $500.

17. Tastannin macrumors 6502

Tastannin

I agree with you here. I'm really hoping Apple will give us a new Mini at MWSF with the Nvidia 9400 integrated graphics and an eSATA port. Now that'd grab everyone's attention. :rolleyes: I can dream, can't I? I could go on and on ... LOL