All iPads What would you rather have, 16gb iPad Air or 64gb 3rd Gen iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HappyDude20, Dec 5, 2013.

1. HappyDude20, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013

HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Title says it all. Bought a 64gb 3rd gen iPad on eBay for $300. Has a pretty bad dent on the bottom right corner but fully functional. Could use the gigs, I've never had anything more than 16gbs. And I'm sure a myriad of replies here will ask it all depends on what I do on my day to day. Truth is the majority of my gbs' will go to photos and videos either filmed or transferred into the device. I'm not a gamer, just the occasional person who downloads new apps to try them out. Dropbox, iBooks and omnifocus would be my go to main apps with YouTube browsing as well.

I guess I'm just interested as to what others would choose considering the circumstances.

Attached Files:

2. JGWolven macrumors regular

16 GB Air. I couldn't give you a detailed reason why. Just a gut move.

3. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Air all the way. As much as I lived my iPad 2 it felt like a slab of concrete after getting my Air. The new processor and performance upgrades are well worth it. Plus, the 3 was always the shakiest version of the iPad. Retina was great but it was lacking in hardware otherwise.

4. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

i would never spend a penny for a damaged product even if it is just cosmetic

no matter if it is 10 bucks or 300, it better has to be in good condition or nothing, i always stick to this principle

same applies when i sell my devices, i would be ashamed of myself if i ever asked 300 bucks from a buyer for an iPad i damaged

5. jojoba macrumors 68000

I would take the 3gen, because I need/want the space. I have a 3gen 64GB now where I've used 41GB and I'd never exchange it for a 16GB Air. But it really comes down to whether you think you'll need the storage or not.

6. pocketpenguin macrumors regular

I've got both, an air and a 64 gig ipad3. I prefer the air based on size, though I do occasionally steal back my 3 from my daughter when I get really tired of safari crashes. They seem less frequent on the 3 running iOS 6.

If your 3 is still running iOS 6, then I'd say it is almost a wash if you can handle extra size and weight of the 3.

7. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

I'd be inclined to get an Air and get a dropbox account or some similar online storage service. That is unless for some reason i needed to have that data locally, for example if I lived in an area with poor Wifi coverage.

8. JoeRito macrumors 6502a

JoeRito

I'd take the newer device and manage my memory use closely... 10 times out of 10!

9. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

I'd get the Air and a $20 photo card dongle. The dents are an eyesore, and possibly indicative of the care it received. New Air comes with a warranty. ;)

10. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

It's all about the Gee Bees, but I would take the Air myself.

11. eggersj macrumors 6502

eggersj

THIS!!! Air all the way...

I would never buy a damaged iPad regardless of the discount. With my luck, it would end up costing me extra in the end.

12. quamsi macrumors regular

What is this photo card dongle? Can you save images onto it from your ipad? Video? Like an SD card?

13. luckylisp macrumors 6502

14. Rodster macrumors 68040

15. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Air, my iPad 3 was a heater. A case on the 3 would hide the dint though.

16. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

From Apple's site:
    "With the Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader, it's easy to download photos and videos from your digital camera to your iPad or iPad mini so you can view them on the gorgeous iPad display and share them with family and friends.
    After you insert the SD card into the reader, your iPad automatically opens the Photos app, which lets you choose which photos and videos to import, then organizes them into albums. When you sync iPad or iPad mini to your PC or Mac, the photos and videos on your iPad are added to your computer's photo library.
    The Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader supports standard photo formats, including JPEG and RAW, along with SD and HD video formats, including H.264 and MPEG-4."

I don't see why you couldn't load photos and videos from your computer onto the SD card, and then view them on the iPad. We had one right before buying a rMBP, and then we used that to put pics on and off our iPads. The SD Card Reader does work.....

17. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Ipad Air.

Actually, I would skip drinking for a week so I could get at least 32gb. Or stop something else and get 64 if I really needed, wanted it.

Ipad air deals last week were awesome - $379 at Target for 16gb. (479-100) Was tempted to buy another for some reason....

18. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

16GB Air by a long way.

All the new features just make it so much better.

Besides, you can always stick movies etc to watch on something like this if you really need more storage.

19. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Your reply made me all warm inside. :D

I want the air now.

Everyone's reply was AIR.

Crazy.

20. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

I would choose the iPad 3, and I did. The iPad air wouldn't have nearly enough space since I am using about 28 gigs on my iPod touch and 47 gigs on my iPad.

21. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Is it mainly apps? The convenience factor is appealing, especially considering it doesn't seem like an iOS 7 JB is coming anytime soon for my iPhone so as to tether my unlimited Verizon data.

22. Jantelagen macrumors regular

Jantelagen

I would also choose the air, and since you said you would use the extra storage space of the iPad 3 for photos, I would recommend you to upload them all to Flickr instead, they now allow for a massive 1TB personal uploads! I did this with my 16GB iPad mini 1st gen, and it loaded the photos pretty fast over WiFi with a Flickr browser app (can't remember which one though), and since the iPad air has dual WiFi bands, I can't imagine it being much slower to view them over a good network than stored on your device.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

16gb air, thinner, lighter, better CPU, better GPU.

There was a reason apple replaced the 3rd gen iPad with the iPad 4 9 months later, it was too underpowered. Its not a bad iPad but I think I'd rather have a brand new iPad air

24. nabwong macrumors regular

I'd go for storage but that's because I need it. I too bought my ipad 3 64gb for $300 with a little dent. Works perfectly. If I were to get an air 64gb, it would be $400 more. That's too much

25. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

On the iPod it is mostly apps, but my iPad has movies too