What would you suggest at theme parks?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by reclusive46, Jun 19, 2012.

1. reclusive46, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012

reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Hi guys,
    I'm going on holiday to Orlando next month and was wondering what you guys would suggest when going on the water rides (Not the rides at the water parks obviously) but the log flumes and river rapids, how do you guys keep your iPhones dry? Or do you tend to leave them in the car?

Do you put it in a water proof bag or case or what? Does anything really need doing when its in the jenes of your pocket or for my wife her bag?

2. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Left my phone in a ziplock bag. Worked out for me. But I was a bit less worried since it had removable battery, and if phone did get wet, I can kill power to it right away. Not sure if ziplock would be a good solution for an iPhone.

When I go to a waterpark, I leave the phone in a car.

3. wickerman1893 macrumors 6502

wickerman1893

Locked baggy or just not bringing the phone with at all are the best options. And I mean leaving it with a family member that is not riding that ride or putting it in a shelf at the ride loading dock.

However, with my experience with disney water based rides at the 4 regular parks, if it is snug in your pocket it won't get wet at all.

4. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

For most Disney rides you would probably be fine leaving your phone in your pocket, and in a ziploc bag would obviously be a safer bet. For Universal Studio rides (especially the log flume one at Islands of Adventure), that ziploc bag is a requirement.

5. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Yeh Disney I wouldn't be worried about, you barely get wet even on splash mountain. But the actual water parks and rides at other theme parks, you can get drenched as if you jumped into a pool, but even at Universal your still going to get pretty wet. Either leave it in a locker/or with someone with you not riding, or zip lock.

6. jman240 macrumors 6502a

What they said. Or buy this http://www.lifeproof.com/

7. aneftp macrumors 68040

We live in orlando and have annual passes. I have never gotten my iPhone wet. Keep it in your pocket. You will be fine.

Even the splashy rides like splash mountain don't involve much water splash.

We are talking animal kingdom, magic kingdom, Epcot, and hollywood studios here.

Obviously put your phone in paid locker if at water parks. But for Disney theme parks you will be fine in your pocket.

FYI. Data speeds can get extremely slow after 12pm at disney theme parks with both Verizon and AT&T.

So don't try uploading facebook pics while at Disney during peak times (12pm-10pm)

8. reclusive46 thread starter macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Ah thanks guys, so as long as I put my phone in a ziploc bag in my pocket when on some of the wetter rights, I should be ok?

And I'll obviously be putting it in the paid lockers at the water parks.

9. Indy21 macrumors 6502

I used a ziplock bag at a local waterpart and got drenched on a couple of rides, phone stayed completely dry, no problem.

I was constantly checking to see if the bag had unsealed all day though, lol.

Next time I'll get a lifeproof and forget about it.

Have fun at Disney, I love that place.:D

10. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

On my trip last year to Cedar Point, I just put my phone in a locker. We chose to ride all of the water rides around the same time, and got my phone back when we were finished. Have fun in Orlando place is a blast!

11. JLemm macrumors regular

12. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

13. Lindenhurst macrumors 6502a

Ziplock bag works great. Last time I went I used a ziplock bag in another ziplock bag when I went on the water rides. Cheap and excellent protection.

Or maybe a triple bagger???:eek:

14. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

15. cruisencode macrumors member

I would NOT recommend leaving your iPhone in the car, especially if you're coming down here in the summer. The temperature in your car will be WELL over 100 degrees. This is not good for an iPhone.

Also, I would recommend something a little safer than your front pocket if you plan to ride the Kali River Rapids at Animal Kingdom. There is a good chance you will get soaked. :eek:

16. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Was too cold in Feb. when I was there to ride that, but the year before I got DRENCHED at Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges at Islands of Adventure. I've been soaked at Jurassic Park too, though mostly at the Hollywood one.

I too use the ziploc approach.

B

17. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

As a resident of Orlando and Cast Member at Disney World, I can confirm this!

Leaving your iPhone (or any electronics, for that matter) inside your car in this brutal heat/sun, is probably not a great idea. There are only two rides on Disney property that might subject your phone to water: Splash Mountain, at the Magic Kingdom, and especially Kali River Rapids, at Disney's Animal Kingdom (you will walk off this ride completely DRENCHED).

Also, if you visit Islands of Adventure (at Universal Studios) know that the Popeye's and Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges is the exact same ride as Kali River Rapids at Disney's Animal Kingdom, so you'll want to exercise the same caution.

Me, personally, I just go into one of the gift shops and ask for a small plastic bag and use that as my phone's protection during the ride and that's enough.

PS: make sure your phone/keys/wallet are secured when riding any rollercoasters -- I see a lot of park guests lose these items on a daily basis and, in most cases, they are unable to recover them until the next day, after the attraction hosts have had a chance to do a walkthrough and inspect for fallen items.

Have a fun and safe vacation! :)

18. Sunsean macrumors 6502

+1 on the lifeproof case. It's a little pricey, but it is 100% water proof, and still maintains a regular usable form factor. Also turns the iphone into an underwater camera, which is pretty slick! Don't have one, but am thinking of getting one with summer coming up. I don't think I'd use it 24/7, just for beach days, vacation, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuDerD9F3sQ

Being able to shoot underwater, IMO, makes the price of the lifeproof case totally justified, in addition to the intense protection it provides.

19. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

@Caliber26

I visit Disney on my holidays from the UK. I've always wanted to work there and soak up the atmosphere but I imagine its not as fun as it looks doing it on a daily basis?

I'm Jealous.

20. Indy21 macrumors 6502

+1

I joke around with my wife all the time about it, that if we lived anywhere near there that I would work there no matter what, she laughs although really I'm serious, lol

21. Sunsean macrumors 6502

Haha, I thought it was pretty awesome. I worked at Disneyland in So Cal (the original!) on and off for 3 years, starting my senior year of high school. It was, pretty much, the most awesome job ever. I think it depends A LOT on what you do at the park. I was on the opening cast of Innoventions, and it was a ball. It was like being at camp, it was like a big party. There are a lot of 'goody two shoe' types who grew up wanting to be Disney characters, but there are other just normal cool people who like to party and have fun, and it's an awesome atmosphere. On off days we would booze it up then go in the park and go on rides all night. That was the best perk, park access whenever you want...I miss those days sometimes...

22. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

I'm the kind of person who doesn't consider it "work" as long as you TRULY look forward to doing it each and every day. There are days when I'm not even scheduled to work and I will still come in and hang out with my friends and pick up a shift if it's available. Beats staying home doing nothing!

Granted, there are MANY, MANY people who probably think I'm insane. In fact, I know MANY, MANY people who work at Disney who absolutely hate it and only go for the paycheck. But...I guess it all depends on what role you're filling and how much you like the job.

I've been dancing professionally since I was four years old and I have worked in the Entertainment Department as a show/parade performer for the last 13 years (I'm 30 now) so, to me, it's not a job. It's getting paid to show up, hang out with awesome friends, and do what I'm most passionate about. Can't beat that.

Regardless of where you work, though, going through the whole Disney experience is pretty neat - even if just for a brief period. Seeing it all "behind the scenes" is always trip for all the first-timers. If you're really interested in coming to Orlando and working for them, you might want to look into the Disney International Program.

23. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

This ^

I have went on plenty Disney water rides and brought my previously owned iPhone 4 on the ride with me. I got wet, but my phone was completely dry when I got off the ride. When you go to Universal, I would advise leaving your phone in your car glove compartment.

24. kenziekinz09 macrumors member

As a former CP, I agree with all of this.

25. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Usually i take my backup nokia E71 with me to such venues. Saves me from the worry of damaging my primary device and can still use it to browse if something needs to be searched for whatever odd reason.

Got it for around $60 from CL too. Great phone for travelling around.