What would you think of a scrolling button on the iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by xelaetaks, Jun 5, 2011.

1. xelaetaks macrumors member

I was thinking it could be neat to have some kind of small button for scrolling up and down. It could be a neat option to have for big webpages. Wat do you think? Would Apple ever add something like that to ios? :apple:

2. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

I'm pretty sure they're moving away from buttons and focusing on there touch screens. i.e. the rumor of them getting rid of the home button for a touch button.

3. xelaetaks thread starter macrumors member

I didnt clarify but i meant was something on touch screen, not an actual button, but maybe something small that you press on the touch screen on the side of a page to scroll quicker.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I think it's more likely that they would introduce a three fingered gesture or something like it to quickly scroll to the bottom of a page. You can already tap the status bar to quickly scroll to the top in a lot of apps.

5. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Just to make you aware, this is exactly what "Perfect Browser" offers, and once you get used to using it, not having it, feels a real loss.

What the Dev of "Perfect Browser" has done is brilliant and so simple, it's something Apple really should add to Safari.

On the right side of the screen is a faint overlay of a scrollbar about 1/2 the height of the screen. Just a narrow thing, that in no way gets in the way.

When the web page has loaded you can use the scroll bar to glide super quick up and down the whole long web page.

It's so simple, it's brilliant, and does not get in the way at all.

6. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I'd love some kind of arrow keys. They'd work for scrolling, and also make moving the cursor in text a hell of a lot easier.

7. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Agree with that also, and many have said the same.
    Cursor keys on the keyboard would make navigating text so much easier that holding your finger down, waiting for the magnifying glass to appear and then trying to move the cursor to the right spot.

It's been brought up many time here.

As would a narrow line of numbers along the top edge of the current keyboard.

The best and simplest answer would be if Apple allowed "custom keyboard layouts" like you used to get on the PALM PDA's and I believe the Pocket PC's also.
    These would rock as then you could select the design of 3rd party keyboard that suited your needs.

Choice again, but Apple does not allow it :(

8. xraytech macrumors 68020

What's wrong the way Safari scrolls now?

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Well if you read his post he feels that it is lacking a scroll button.

10. xraytech macrumors 68020

I did, that's why I quoted his post?

You need to scroll you swipe up or down on the screen. No need to find a minuscule virtual scroll bar/button.

Does the OP mean a scroll doohickey thing in the virtual keyboard?

11. Ava's Meeshee macrumors member

That's a strange, misleading way to describe lacking a feature.

12. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I think they need to incorporate a scroll area in the sides of the bezel off the screen. IMO that would be perfect, you wouldn't have to touch the screen to scroll, and it would be out of the way and they could make it invisible so it wouldn't detract from the minimalistic design.

13. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

must be you...i didn't find his post misleading or strange.

14. Carouser macrumors 65816

It's like saying "I wish I could get my Playbook in red, it's a simple thing to do. Choice again, but RIM doesn't allow it. :(" It's just this bs talking-point about how Apple in particular doesn't allow choice because it doesn't offer every conceivable option.

15. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

the poster wasn't asking if Apple offered every conceivable keyboard option, just wishing that there were others (without having go the JB route or buy an additional app).

it's a head-scratcher to me why Apple choose not to have a dedicated row of numbers added to the keyboard layout. a major brain-freeze on their part and hopefully to be addressed in iOS5.

16. Carouser macrumors 65816

Sure, I agree with you, but there's head-scratching omissions on every device; it's not like Apple is exceptional in not having features which people would like. Taking the omission of any desired feature as 'there goes Apple restricting choice again' is misleading, especially when some posters say it about every want they conjure up, not just a keyboard layout.

17. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I didn't think you understood his question. Scrolling is fine up to a point but having a handle you can grab, kind of like Android, or a scoll to bottom, much like the current scroll to top, it would be far more convenient than having to swipe ten or more times.

Why would the handle need to be miniscule? On my DroidX, once you begin scrolling the handle appears and it is large enough to grab easily. Of course this needs to be an option to turn off.

18. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

In a long web page or document, that becomes old very fast.