MP 1,1-5,1 What you need to do to make Catalina work with MacPro5,1

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tsialex, Jun 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. tsialex thread starter macrumors 603

tsialex

Why on earth you want to disable binary signature checking?

2. startergo macrumors 65816

startergo

This is probably more appropriate:
    Code:
    nvram -p | grep boot-args

3. Fangio macrumors 6502

It's required by mySIMBL and colorfulSidebar which I'm using in Mojave and previous macOS versions.

MySIMBL.png

4. tsialex thread starter macrumors 603

tsialex

I would never use that with a internet facing Mac. :eek:
    --- Post Merged, Jul 5, 2019 ---
    Why pipe two commands when you can just use nvram boot-args?

5. Fangio macrumors 6502

I'm aware of the risk, have been using this since Mavericks w/o probs. ;) The author @w0lf is a member here.

6. tsialex thread starter macrumors 603

tsialex

The app itself is not the problem, the problem is disabling binary signature checking system wide. Anything will be executed.

7. donluca macrumors regular

donluca

I had to do the exact same thing not only for MySIMBL but something else I can't quite recall. This was... uh, many years ago, all still running strong. You just have to be careful about what you do.

8. tpivette89 macrumors 6502

tpivette89

Wow, that did the trick! Can’t believe I missed that small detail. Thanks!

9. startergo macrumors 65816

startergo

I just upgraded to the DP3 with the dosdude's installer over DP2. I only attended it in the beginning when I pointed where to install it. After I came back to the computer it was already upgraded and the wifi was working. So I guess it automatically patched it based on the hardware.

10. tpivette89 macrumors 6502

tpivette89

Damn... anyone else notice Catalina uses a helluva lot of RAM?

In Mojave, my usage was around 9-10GB... in Catalina it's 15GB or more. Good thing I upgraded to 24GB recently!

11. tsialex thread starter macrumors 603

tsialex

Yes, but Catalina has every debug and logging option enabled by default, so memory and CPU usage will be greater. For now it's useless to compare Catalina with Mojave, revisit this after the GM when both will be comparable.

12. tpivette89 macrumors 6502

tpivette89

Some users are reporting higher Geekbench scores in Catalina... I, however, am not noticing this. Things have stayed the same between versions so far. Hopefully things will be different in the Beta vs GM... assuming in the next 3 months Apple still allows the -no_compat_check input and doesn't change anything.

13. tsialex thread starter macrumors 603

tsialex

Apple uses -no_compat_check boot arg for debug purpuoses since Yosemite, it will be probably easier to start compiling things for AVX support than removing it from the kernel.

14. tpivette89 macrumors 6502

tpivette89

It's weird that they even allow it. Something as simple as that bypasses their "impassable" walls...

15. tsialex, Jul 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019

tsialex thread starter macrumors 603

tsialex

They need it, that's why it exists.

Apple don't care with tinkering Mac owners trying to squeeze more years from old Macs or even hackintoshers. The day that this two categories start to bite the bottom line it will change, but for now…

16. blocker1 macrumors newbie

Ya! truly agree with you the old macbook user and the hakinshores, the day when they both get clashed together a revolution will be noticed.

17. mike.101, Jul 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019

mike.101 macrumors newbie

I installed Catalina on a Mac Pro 5,1 disk using a supported mac, then used Catalina Loader. I have a Broadcom
    BCM43xx and Nvidia GTX 680. Everything worked fine. The only obstacle is Apple! It seems their decision to exclude MBP 5,1 is arbitrary. Instead of blocking a mac that can be upgraded, like the MBP, they should check for hardware requirements as they did with Mojave and Metal capable GPUs, then allow or disallow the install.
    I am hoping that they will reconsider the block and let us use these great machines.

18. Ludacrisvp macrumors 6502

Free ram is wasted ram...

19. The Spirit macrumors member

The Spirit

20. h9826790 macrumors G5

h9826790

I agree, but assume that high memory usage is not due to memory leak, or unnecessary system monitoring / log (for beta OS).
    --- Post Merged, Jul 8, 2019 ---
    This is an earlier beta OS, this kind of bug is quite normal indeed. You better report to Apple.

21. Louis Vox macrumors newbie

I have a BCM943602CDP card which I installed last year in my 5,1 supporting BT4.2 and 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac. However I have no wifi recognised and BT Handoff and Instant Hotspot = No. I used the dosdude installation, have tried toggling WiFi fixes in the post install. Any ideas?

22. tsialex thread starter macrumors 603

tsialex

You should report/ask directly on the thread macOS 10.15 Catalina on Unsupported Macs. Using a supported Mac or VM to install, it's recognised perfectly, Wi-Fi at least since BT Handoff and Instant Hotspot more effort, so I suppose it's a collateral effect of the dosdude patching process.

23. Hunterkillz123 macrumors newbie

Anyone having issues with this running on a Mac 3,1?
    --- Post Merged, Jul 10, 2019 ---
    Sorry, should have stated, getting this on a 3,1 Mac Pro. I can’t seem to get it pushed through.

24. tsialex, Jul 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2019

tsialex thread starter macrumors 603

tsialex

MP3,1 needs a lot more effort than a MP5,1:
    • You need to patch the BootROM for APFS support. This is risky, be warned, but doable.
    • The Telemetry plugin,
      /System/Library/UserEventPlugins/com.apple.telemetry.plugin, don't work with any C2D based processor, your MP3,1 Xeon is a C2D Penryn based processor and can't be upgraded to one that the plugin works, so you need to remove it or your boot process will hang.
    • Only NVIDIA GPUs work with MP3,1, Netkas patch for AMD cards works for 10.14.5 at the moment.
    • Probably more tweaks are needed, like the install of BCM94321MC/94322MC drivers and etc.
    You probably should ask on the macOS 10.15 Catalina on Unsupported Macs thread, there are more people with MP3,1 there.

25. Hunterkillz123 macrumors newbie

I also asked in there. Thanks for the response. I understood all but the Xeon part of that. Are you saying I have to upgrade the chipset to get it to run? Or something else. Thanks

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.