MP 1,1-5,1 What you need to do to make Catalina work with MacPro5,1

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tsialex, Jun 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. agejon macrumors member

https://clonezilla.org/downloads.php

I had a spare usb stick with clonezilla that i used to clone the internal vmware drive to the raw disk.... disk-to-disk clone

2. tsialex thread starter macrumors 601

tsialex

Ah, ok, I thought that someone did a tutorial showing a easier to do it.

I personally don't like to do this way because you have VMWareTools and everything that Fusion changes cloned to the rawdisk. The way I did is practically bare metal without any Fusion mods and VMWareTools.

My intention is to have a standard install without any patches whatsoever. Other people will prefer easier ways with patched installs.

3. agejon macrumors member

Probably you are right... I will try to install again with the “vanilla” method...

I had already a crash... I forgot to uninstall VMware tools ... now I hope it will be stable!!!

4. crjackson2134 macrumors 601

crjackson2134

It’s DP1... Just how stable do you think it is anyway? I expect it crashes even on some supported installs.

5. lxmeta macrumors newbie

lxmeta

Agreed! Very early beta! On cMP5.1 with EFI 680 screen wont come back after it went to sleep. But I have a spare machine for playing. I’d keep the early very far away from any production device...

6. TheStork macrumors 6502

TheStork

Where did you get your BCM943602CD? Link? TIA.

7. startergo macrumors 65816

startergo

8. TheStork macrumors 6502

TheStork

9. Boardley macrumors newbie

Boardley

I spent alot of money keeping my MP51 up to date. I believe all of my hardware is supported by Catalina so I am very thankful to everyone here for sharing their experience with the upcoming OS.

10. gugy macrumors 68040

gugy

It will be great to check this thread once Catalina is released. Hopefully we can run it on 5,1 despite the fact Apple is saying otherwise.

11. tsialex thread starter macrumors 601

tsialex

I redid the process sometimes and took screenshots of each step needed, I'll write up and post it in the weekend. It's very easy once you get everything setup.

12. Demigod Mac macrumors 6502a

Well, the Fusion method sounds like an interesting workaround. How's the VM performance compared to a native install?

13. tsialex thread starter macrumors 601

tsialex

It’s a native install onto a real disk, Fusion is used just to overcome the Catalina installer block of MP5,1

14. dlwg, Jun 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2019

dlwg macrumors member

1. Format your real disk as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with GUID Partition Map (most likely it will be called Untitled)

2. Note its ID, i.e. diskX, that represents the whole disk and not diskXsZ

3. Go to VMWare > File > New and drop Install macOS 10.15 Beta.app right there in that window

4. Create your new VM

5. Shut down this VM

6. Go to Terminal and enter the following command, but replace diskX with the right ID:
    /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-rawdiskCreator create /dev/diskX fullDevice ~/Virtual\ Machines.localized/rawDiskFile ide

7. Unmount Untitled disk in Disk Utility or in Terminal: diskutil unmountDisk /dev/diskXs2

7. Within the Virtual Machines folder found in your Home folder – find the file called rawDiskFile.vmdk

8. Put that file inside the created VMBundle found within the same Virtual Machines folder (if you did not change the name it would be macOS 10.14 > right click and Show Package Content)

9. Once the file is there alongside Temporary Installation Source Disk.vmdk, go and edit .vmx file (most likely macOS 10.14.vmx)

10. Find these lines:
    sata0:2.fileName = "Temporary Installation Source Disk.vmdk"
    sata0:2.present = "TRUE"

11. Add these 3 lines after the lines shown above:
    sata0:0.fileName = "rawDiskFile.vmdk"
    sata0:0.present = "TRUE"
    sata0:0.deviceType = "rawDisk"

12. Go to the settings of your newly created VM in VMWare and change the following:
    In General > OS: Windows 10 64bit
    In Mouse & Keyboard > Windows 10 Profile

13. Start the VM and once the Installer is loaded, proceed with installation by choosing Untitled as your disk

14. Wait until it reboots and finished loading the bar (takes around 15-20 mins)

15. Turn off the VM and go back to the settings of your newly created VM in VMWare and change the following:
    In General > OS: macOS 10.14
    In Mouse & Keyboard > Mac Profile

16. Unmount Untitled disk in Disk Utility or in Terminal: diskutil unmountDisk /dev/diskXs2

17. Start your VM and you will be able to see macOS 10.5 loaded in VMWare.

15. dlwg macrumors member

It is interesting to see that MacPro5,1 is actually listed as a Supported Model within PlatformSupport.plist found in Recovery partition of Catalina.

16. tsialex thread starter macrumors 601

tsialex

Sidecar framework blocks MacPro5,1, why the need to actively block a unsupported Mac from it ;)

Seems Apple was gonna support MP5,1 with Catalina, maybe the lack of Intel microcode corrections for MDS vulnerabilities made them change it.

17. startergo macrumors 65816

startergo

Plus the WFI. Don't forget the forced obsolescence to increase the demand for the cMP-Tesla (similar to price with Tesla if maxed out).

18. dlwg macrumors member

Yes, it was a great find of yours! We still hope for the best :)

19. tsialex thread starter macrumors 601

tsialex

Catalina misses some things for correct Mac Pro support, like:

1. Firmware upgrade method, firmware folder in Resources.
    2. Support for BCM94322MC, the original AirPort Extreme for mid-2010 and mid-2012
    I bet that the list will be bigger as more people install Catalina with MP5,1 and test things.

20. trifero macrumors 6502

trifero

Can´t believe it...

21. startergo macrumors 65816

startergo

Alex can we replace the chip say in a MATT card with a bigger one and manually add modules as needed patch microcode if possible etc?

22. tsialex thread starter macrumors 601

tsialex

Not needed. MP5,1 BootROM has probably around 1/4 to 1/3 of free space.

Only Intel can patch microcodes, it's a totally proprietary format.

23. dlwg macrumors member

I noticed another interesting thing. When attempting a clean install of 10.14.5, it asked me to do a Firmware update (Turn Off, Hold the Power button until flashes). I am not sure if this is connected to this Firmware update, but now in 10.14.5 my PCIe disks show up as Internal (at least their graphical representations on the Desktop). Did you notice any of this? Maybe just an minor macOS update in this case, as Catalina still shows these as External.

24. tsialex thread starter macrumors 601

tsialex

144.0.0.0.0 and it's a bug on the detection, later will show as external as always.

25. j4k3 macrumors newbie

j4k3

Just a quick question, I've been reading a lot of Catalina on unsupported Macs threads and I'm not sure if i summarize them correctly.

I am on a Mac Pro 5.1. If I upgrade my GPU to a RX 580, will I be able to *hackily* run Catalina?

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.