MP 1,1-5,1 What you need to do to make Catalina work with MacPro5,1

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tsialex, Jun 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. startergo macrumors 65816

startergo

Yes. All the requirements for Mojave + a hack

2. Darkvader75 macrumors newbie

Darkvader75

Minus wifi. Possibly Bluetooth. I am trying to verify with anyone if the old Bluetooth onboard chip still works.

3. zemaker macrumors regular

are there any firmware updates that come with Catalina that I could install on 5,1 Mac Pro? I don't care about the OS itself.

4. roobarb! macrumors member

Not in DP1, there's not even a firmware update framework in there for the 5,1.

5. tsialex thread starter macrumors 603

tsialex

MP5,1 Bluetooth original module works with Catalina.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 8, 2019 ---
    Don't spend money thinking that Catalina will run, that's not certain. Apple can easily enable AVX support and adios. If you want two years of Mojave security updates, go for it.

6. tsialex, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019

tsialex thread starter macrumors 603

tsialex

Another item for the Apple won't support MP5,1 with Catalina:

Screen Shot 2019-06-09 at 18.11.15.png

7. LightBulbFun macrumors 68020

LightBulbFun

I think those things have been in Mojave as well, you can see them at the end of the verbose log just before the GUI loads

I have seen it on other Macs as well so I dont think its a 5,1 thing specifically

8. tsialex thread starter macrumors 603

tsialex

Yep, you are correct. I remember seeing this with MP3,1, don't remember ever seeing this with MP5,1 until now.
    Screen Shot 2019-06-09 at 22.55.01.png

9. Darkvader75 macrumors newbie

Darkvader75

Any clue what impact this will have?

10. tsialex thread starter macrumors 603

tsialex

With Penryn CPUs the telemetry plugin make the CPU to KP, with Nehalem/Westmere seems to just warn about unsupported CPU/PCH.

11. roto1231 macrumors newbie

roto1231

Looks very similar to the way you had to hand build the installer for El Capitan on a 1,1. Once I figured out all you had to do was clone an El Cap drive and drop the appropriate files in the right places it was dead simple. I forget but I think you did the same thing with Leopard on G4’s below 700MHz. Cloned the drive and then dropped it into the machine.
    If all you need to do is drop in the board ID and get rid of the MacPro 5,1 comment on the MPKG all you’re going to need to do is edit the plist file on the MPKG. You’re going to have to do it as a root user though or as “System”.

Thoughts?

12. tsialex, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019

tsialex

Installer is not working with the edited OSInstall.mpkg, no one seems to know why yet.

The best result is obtained using VMWare Fusion, or other virtualisation solutions, to install from scratch directly to the raw disk, shutdown when InstallAssistant appears and end the install process with your MP5,1. If you upgrade over a previous install, some Mac App Store apps don't work anymore.

13. Peet_B macrumors newbie

Peet_B

I'm really really hoping that I'll be able to run Catalina on my 5,1. Bought it 3 weeks ago, and spent about $1200 in total, including a RX580. Since I read that it would be Mojave supported, but with a Metal supported GPU I thought I'd be fine... Nevertheless I'm willing to install a new airport card. (since I'm still rocking the original one), and do a bit of hacking, and im sure someone here will be providing a step by step guide to help noobs like me :)

14. Darkvader75 macrumors newbie

Darkvader75

There will be a tool to run where it’s ready to install on rebooting once we get past beta.

15. joot macrumors member

Catalina support on my 5,1 will help me determine whether a i9-9900K hackintosh build will be my next computer. The new Mac Pro is out of my league...

16. tsialex, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019

tsialex

When I have free time, I've been doing installs of Catalina DP1 with VMWare Fusion to a SATA SSD to check the pitfalls and found workarounds for every one I had.

One thing that I noticed is if you run vmware-rawdiskCreator with a disk with data, sometimes you can't boot the second stage of the install. If I remove the GPT from the disk before running vmware-rawdiskCreator, no problem. But then I have a different problem, the keyboard don't work with the installer and I can't partition the disk. Mouse works, btw.

So after running vmware-rawdiskCreator, we have to partition the the disk with one HFS+ partition and then unmount the disk before creating the VM. After that, everything works as expected.

17. melvinlusk macrumors newbie

melvinlusk

I thought I'd share my experience with this. I didn't want to start with a fresh install of Catalina, and instead opted to try to upgrade my Mojave install. I have a mid-2012 Mac Pro with Mojave installed on a NVM.2 card.

I used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the Mojave install on the M.2 card to a spare SATA SSD. I then took that SSD out of the Mac Pro and hooked it up to my MacBook Air using a USB-SATA adapter. I set that up as the startup disk, rebooted, and ran the Catalina installer. It upgraded as it should, and I then put the SATA SSD back in the Mac Pro and set it as the startup disk, and rebooted.

It booted right up, but there's a few weird things; the wi-fi issue that's already been mentioned (not that important to me), but I have these weird screen artifacts.....like these weird black boxes appearing all over the screen. I can sorta remedy this by moving open windows over them. The vid-card in the Mac Pro is an AMD RX580. I'm assuming that this is a driver issue with the Catalina beta.

I wanted to move the Catalina install from the SSD back to the NVM.2 card, but it looks like Carbon Copy Cloner doesn't fully support working with Catalina system files yet. There's a beta available, but it didn't work like I wanted.

I'll keep everyone posted as I try it out more.

18. JeffPerrin macrumors 6502

JeffPerrin

Will be watching this thread!

Since the 2019 Mac Pro is obviously way too expensive for most pros, and the 2018 Mac Mini GPU is too underwhelming for serious graphics and video work (well documented), the 2012 Mac Pro yet again remains as the pro machine for those who desire a tower-style solution for their work station.

Thanks to all those working towards bringing Catalina to the working class pro! ;)

19. seek3r macrumors 6502

The main prob is going to be for people like me with an nvidia gpu unless apple starts letting nvidia write and sign drivers again since I bet Apple will pull their drivers that allow the the older supported cards to work in the GM

20. macagain macrumors 6502

macagain

Haha! the cMP might have to be renamed the wcMP!:(

21. jonwatso macrumors newbie

jonwatso

Not adding anything new to this thread but can confirm the "install on a supported Mac and then move the drive" works fine with my Mac Pro 5,1 with the NVRAM argument stated in post 1. Was very disappointed to see it was dropped from the supported line up. But in saying that, I use to run my Mac Pro 1,1 on 10.11 without any issues for a few years.

In saying that, how likely is it that apple switches instructions sets before the final release?

22. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

It probably becomes more likely with each forum post about how to bypass the cMP blocks in the Catalina installer.

23. startergo macrumors 65816

startergo

What is your point?

24. Macschrauber, Jun 11, 2019

Macschrauber macrumors 6502

Macschrauber

Can you explain the vmware thing a little bit closer ?

I formatted my Disk in APFS

injected the rawDiskFile.vmdk

editied the .vmx file, added

ide0:0.present = "TRUE"
    ide0:0.fileName = "rawDiskFile.vmdk"
    ide0:0.deviceType = "rawDisk"
    suspend.disabled = "TRUE"

as vm machine type I selected Win 10 64 bit

Uefi (?)

Added the USB Thumb Drive with Catalina Installer to VMware

it recognises the Real Hard Drive, Boots into the thumb drive,

starts the Installer but stucks at ca. 3/4

Screenshot 2019-06-12 at 03.24.13.png

let it sit for a while but it dont gets further.

Edit: It moved, but slowly, need to get a nap, let it sit during the night, hope it moves further...

25. tsialex, Jun 11, 2019

tsialex

Did you change the keyboard and mouse settings too? Don’t install from a USB key, use the normal Fusion way.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.