What you need to succeed

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sydde, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Sydde, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013

Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Article on The Independent: Beware (of the) Corporate Psychopaths:

Cut to a pleasantly warm evening in Bahrain. My companion, a senior UK investment banker and I, are discussing the most successful banking types we know and what makes them tick. I argue that they often conform to the characteristics displayed by social psychopaths. To my surprise, my friend agrees.

He then makes an astonishing confession: "At one major investment bank for which I worked, we used psychometric testing to recruit social psychopaths because their characteristics exactly suited them to senior corporate finance roles."

Here was one of the biggest investment banks in the world seeking psychopaths as recruits.…

This is the engine of economic growth: frothing crazy man-monsters. Our economic system is built upon insanity, this might help explain its somewhat distressed condition, and the fact that business just could not give a leaping splat about your issues, they just want your money and nothing else.

Is this what we would call a sustainable model, or does sustainability just not matter?

(My apologies, this article is over a year old. Perhaps it's content is no longer relevant.)

2. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Psychopathy is not a simple either-or proposition. Its more of a sliding scale (from 0 to 40), based primarily on a fundamental lack of empathy for other people. Most normal people have at least some selfish instincts. So we would score about 4 or 5.

In some circumstances a lack of empathy can be helpful: If your company needs to shed a few hundred jobs in order to stay competitive, you need a manager who can make that decision based on rational factors, rather than personal feelings.

Its also useful to understand that many "successful" psychopaths (ie. those that aren't in prison) exhibit personal characteristics that may help them get ahead in business: Superficial charm and the ability to lie glibly; while taking credit for others work; and shifting blame elsewhere. Psychopaths are good at brown-nosing authority, and equally good at belittling and terrorizing colleagues and subordinates.

We've all met people like that. I know I have. Do everything you can to get them out of your life, even if it means finding a different job.

3. Sydde thread starter macrumors 68020

Sydde

Could that be because of the current nature of our socio-economic system? If crazy is the order of the day, one would imagine that lack of the crazy is a limiting factor, in a sort of feedback loop that increases the overall level of insanity. The underlying question is whether we think it wise to continue to promote a system that encourages psychopathic (30+ or whatever) tendencies and leaves those people effectively in charge of all the non-crazies.