what your thoughts on AT&T charging for facetime?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BFizzzle, Aug 21, 2012.

1. BFizzzle, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012

BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

i personally think its unethical that i am be charged yet again to use my data that i am already paid for. Whats next? being charged for imessage? netflix?

interesting article on 9to5..
    http://9to5mac.com/2012/08/21/....

hopefully other media outlets will be more vocal about it too.. hint hint macrumors...

UPDATE
    att-
    http://9to5mac.com/2012/08/22/att-responds-to-facetime-controversy-says-it-is-allowed-to-block-facetime-because-it-is-a-pre-installed-app/#more-232891

maybe apple will help us out and make facetime a downloaded app haha doubtful.. but yeah.

2. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I feel the same way I do about tethering. It's my data let me use it how I see fit. They throttle massively after 3GB's anyways so it may as well be a tiered plan anyways. Just yet another way to manipulate more money out of consumers.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

4. BFizzzle thread starter macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

5. Spectrum Abuser, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012

Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

It's nothing different than when all the carriers charged a 'special fee' for BlackBerry users who wanted a data plan. I don't personally see a problem with this because although AT&T didn't create Facetime they did create the network it would be used on. They're not exactly charging extra for Facetime, either. It's just an added on benefit for signing up for their new shared data plans. There's also so many choices to get around this; if the FCC actually investigates I will have lost some faith in our Government.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Hmmm, a quick check of the Forum Rules shows that posting links to petitions is a violation

I would suggest you use the Contact Us link at the bottom of most pages to voice your concerns about the rule to the administration and have them review it

7. BFizzzle thread starter macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

i agree it is no different then charging for "premium data".. and i have to disagree, if someone pays for 3gb of data it shouldn't make a difference how its used. Its causing the exact same "strain" no matter which way.

8. Applejuiced, Aug 21, 2012

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wow, you don't see anything wrong with this?
    What if next they charge you a fee or want you to switch to a more expensive plan in order to stream music or video or a fee for unlimited Facebook use?
    You're a carriers wet dream of a customer. :)
    Rip me off as much as you can, take my whole wallet:D

9. Spectrum Abuser, Aug 21, 2012

Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

A person could use 3GB of data over the course of a month or the course of a week. Loading hours of audio is a lot less intensive on a network than loading a live streaming video feed. Therefor it does matter how a person chooses to use their data as some ways require more bandwidth to handle. I fear that many of the posters against AT&Ts decision don't quite understand that.

I try to see the sides of these types of stories from an Executive point of view; not an OWS participant.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Who cares? Data is data period.
    If its more intensive then invest some of those billions to improve the network instead of keep limiting and charging more.
    Its funny Sprint or other carriers dont pull this bs.

What executive point of view?
    So you're on the CEO's side? :D lol

11. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Sprint isn't in a position to dictate how they want their network to necessarily run. They're the underdog right now and rightfully so will promote anything that can help them have an edge over their competitors.

AT&T is constantly performing upgrades and enhancements. I'm not saying this because I have a biased opinion towards them as a corporation, but if you visit their corporate newsroom you'd see the same information that I do.

12. BFizzzle thread starter macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

i dont think you realize how much data facetime actually uses? its a vga camera
    it uses about 3mb a min..
    http://9to5mac.com/2010/08/02/heres-how-much-data-3g-facetime-uses/

i can use my entire 3gb in a weekend streaming netflix. So you think we should be charged more to use netflix?
    netflix uses well over 3mb a min.
    http://www.theipadguide.com/faq/how-much-data-does-netflix-streaming-video-use-ipad-3g

What about spotify? if i stream my songs in best quality, or even the extreme, sometimes almost 6-7 mb a song.

what about my youtube app?
    what about downloading 50mb applications from the app store?

its not an "OWS" point of view. Its just logical. The entire point of point of them charging more by the GB as opposed to unlimited, is so they can eliminate the strain on the towers and give users the option if they dont consume large amounts of data.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Guess what? Skype and tons of other instant messengers and video calling apps work over 3G.
    What difference does it make if I use my 2GB using facetime and pay extra for overages? Data is data.
    What's next? Email over wifi only?

14. BFizzzle thread starter macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

what if i was charged more to use my electricity at home for my AC? and a different premium to use my TV?
    would you find that wrong?

15. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Ok, you don't see a problem with AT&T charging more for FaceTime. But they don't charge extra for using Skype on 3G.

So why do you say the 0's and 1's are bad on one app, but ok for another app? How is that equal, fair, or even right?

When the data is data, why are you ok with charging more for 1 app over another? Same bandwidth usage. So please help me understand your point.

Or do you work for Skype or another video chat provider?

16. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

You're not being charged extra to use Facetime at all. If you want to use it on AT&Ts cellular network you'll have to jump on to the new data plans, though.

----------

The difference is that you're not being charged more to necessarily use Facetime.

----------

Again. They aren't charging an access fee. Just a different plan.

17. BFizzzle thread starter macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

right and that plan costs me more.... i am be charged more.

18. WesCole macrumors 6502a

They may as well be charging fees because the new plans are generally more expensive than a comparable family plan...you just get unlimited talk (which I don't need) and tethering (could be worth it if you need to tether, I guess).

For me, it would end up being ~$30 more per month on the shared plan vs. my current family plan with 3 iPhones and 1 dumb phone.

Edit: On that note, I wouldn't mind moving to a shared plan if they charged a reasonable amount for my dumb phone (I know, I know...they are trying to phase them out but my grandmother doesn't need or want a smart phone). I don't see how paying $30 for that dumb phone is reasonable...if they charged $10, I would probably go with it.

19. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

If you don't want to be charged more then don't sign up for the new plans. Facetime was never a feature on AT&Ts network before so you're not losing anything by staying with your current plan.

----------

If you don't want to be charged more then don't sign up for the new plans. Facetime was never a feature on AT&Ts network before so you're not losing anything by staying with your current plan.

20. WesCole macrumors 6502a

But your rationale of them not charging more doesn't work anyway. Can I use Facetime over 3G now? No...What would I have to do to get Facetime over 3G? Upgrade to a significantly more expensive plan with features I don't need/want.

21. BFizzzle thread starter macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

i never said i was loosing a feature?
    you're right but it is now a feature on AT&Ts network.. IF you pay them for a data share plan which costs me and other users more money to do so.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

A different and more expensive text-and-voice plan.
    That’s right — AT&T will block one of the iPhones best features unless users pay more money for less data and unlimited voice minutes, none of which they need to use FaceTime.

23. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

FaceTime has never and will never be a feature of AT&T's network. It isn't a feature of A&T at all. That's what the problem is. Is Google a feature of AT&T's too? How about Pandora?

What if from here on out you couldn't get to websites brought online after this date because "they weren't there before so you aren't losing anything"? Something tells me you haven't a clue how this stuff works.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Let him continue trying to argue.
    He just makes himself look silly trying to defend this nonsense:D

25. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

I've offered my point of view and you all have taken it for what you will. The beauty of this Country is that we're allowed different opinions and choices. I'm done debating about an issue that we will never come to agreement with, though; with that I'm bugging out of this thread.