What'd be a better choice for iPhone 5 Black, Clear Snap Incase or Apple Leather Case

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by amplify, Feb 17, 2014.

1. amplify, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014

amplify macrumors newbie

Hey!

I've received a new iPhone 5 from Apple, of course Black & Slate. In the previous one, I got some scratches, because of my impudence.
    I'd like to protect sides of the iPhone, especially painted edges.

I think about 3 types:

Black Apple Leather Case.

I think too about this Snap Case Clear by incase
    http://goincase.com/shop/incase-snap-case-for-iphone-5

This case is transparent, I see Apple logo and beauty of the slate color, but I think that plastic material will scratch edges of the phone..
    This is black & slate, so I'm careful.

The other option is Pro Snap Case by insane
    It's like Snap Clear Case but with silicone sides.
    http://goincase.com/shop/incase-pro-snap-case-for-iphone-5#color/122/view/1

What'd You choose?
    1) Apple Black Leather Case
    2) Insane Clear Snap Case (all plastic clear)
    3) Insane Pro Snap Case (clear plastic with black silicone sides)

I want to know, if I would not overpay for the Apple Leather Case? Is it worth that money?

What would You pick?

Thanks for all your suggestions!

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

There are many similar cases which are much cheaper on Amazon. That depends on where you are from however. I like the Apple Leather Case but if you want a more natural look the Puro or its similar counterparts are a good bet. I have never used a Puro case so I cannot comment on their quality.

3. amplify, Feb 17, 2014

amplify thread starter macrumors newbie

I've to be sure that Apple Leather Case will not have negative consequenses for the painted black edges on the iPhone.

I want something classy for the iPhone.
    Really like the look of the Apple Leather Case. I read all thread about it here, but anyone says nothing how it effects on the corners in iPhone. Like I mentioned before I don't want to overpay, if it's not worth 39$.

What think the others?

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If you want scratch protection and minor chips and ding protection, then the Apple leather case is fantastic. If you plan on dropping your phone down a flight of stairs, backing over it with a truck, and maybe putting it through a round of iPhone frisbee then neither case is what you want. I would say AppleCare + is the best case money can buy, but in the case of a physical case for ultimate protection, I do like Lifeproof and Otterbox. Just make sure you clean the phone no matter the case to prevent debris from butchering your phone.

5. amplify, Feb 17, 2014

I'd really like to purchase AppleCare+, but in my country - Poland I can't do that.
    I don't like look of the Lifeproof and Otterbox cases. I know they PROTECT fantastic, but they break all beauty of the phone.

Should I shut mouth, skip this discussion and order Apple Case?

I think too about this Snap Case Clear by incase
    http://goincase.com/shop/incase-snap-case-for-iphone-5

This case is transparent, I see Apple logo and beauty of the slate color, but I think that plastic material will scratch edges of the phone..
    This is black & slate, so I'm careful.

The other option is Pro Snap Case by insane
    It's like Snap Clear Case but with silicone sides.
    http://goincase.com/shop/incase-pro-snap-case-for-iphone-5#color/122/view/1

What'd You choose?
    1) Apple Black Leather Case
    2) Insane Clear Snap Case (all plastic clear)
    3) Insane Pro Snap Case (clear plastic with black silicone sides)

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Of those three I would do the Apple case. I am a big fan of Otterbox cases if you can tolerate the added thickness. The second case I really do not like the design, and the first looks cheap. Apple makes a quality leather case however.

7. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Looks like you are going with something thin?

I have the Spigen Slim Armor S and Ultra Hybrid that switch back and forth with.

What I've noticed with any case is if there is a lift between the case and iPhone, you may run into getting dirt underneath it. So far I haven't seen any scratches on my iPhone. What you can do is find a case that covers the entire back and not those snap cases.

8. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Get the Apple leather, i have tried heaps and always go back to it, have a Black and Brown one coming:)

9. amplify, Feb 17, 2014

I thought about that. Clearly, I would be fool to choose this.
    Completely impractical.

Yes, Black color seems reasonably.
    I saw some pics of brown case after couple of weeks. I won't say it's ugly, because that's leather "vintage" effect, but I don't think it suits good hi-tech smartphone.

How about iPhone in this case? Does it have any negative effects for sides, edges, especially when You push or push out the iPhone?

10. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Why impractical? The Spigen cases are not too bad.

Black apple leather case isn't too bad. No matter what you do, don't get the clear snap incase. That thing is fugly and will probably get scratched up over time.

11. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Got my brown one today, looks sweet on the space grey 5S. See how it goes.

12. amplify, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014

13. amplify thread starter macrumors newbie

14. ddotmason macrumors member

Have a look at mujjo mate there products are fantastic.

15. misieksss macrumors newbie

I have similar problem and I am from Poland also. Black Apple Leather Case from beginning was my number one choice but later I found other like SGP Neo Hybrid, SGP Slim Armor, SGP Ultra Thin Air, Incipio Snap Case, Power Support Air Jacket even Mujjo wallet, Caudabe The Veil, SGP Saturn, Moshi SenseCover, dbramante1928 Leather folio, Pad & Quill Luxury Pocket Book which I was considering but ultimately decided that the most practical and premium feeling is

Apple Leather Case but I am still considering the SGP Ultra Thin Air

I think that for corners the safest is Apple Case

16. benoit85 macrumors member

I have to say the Apple case, been using the black one for a while now and i love it! i do take the phone out of the case once a week or so to clear out any dust or bits that have found their way in. I've not noticed any damage done to the phone or case by doing this. My only small complaint about the case is that bits and dust do find their way around the edge of the case because it doesn't come up over the screen. It is a minor complaint though and everything else about the case is awesome! gives it a fantastic feel, i think the phone feels a lot nicer in the hand when in the case instead of naked, just my personal preference though. I think i will get myself a brown one soon too, looks really smart on the space grey models.

17. RafixPhoenix macrumors regular