Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I remember playing this game on the Apple II back in the day. Then I had this product on my Mac LC III which still resides on my HD but it wont work because Apple dumped classic mode. I wish I could buy this game for the Mac but its no longer available.

Reactions: jpn

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
I remember playing this game on the Apple II back in the day. Then I had this product on my Mac LC III which still resides on my HD but it wont work because Apple dumped classic mode. I wish I could buy this game for the Mac but its no longer available.
Not sure about the exact title you quoted, but you'll find Where in the world is Carmen Santiego in the Macintoshgarden.

Last edited:

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
But it won't run on a modern Mac.
You didn't mention you were on an Intel Mac.
In keeping with this Apple Collectors forum, to be honest some of these early games seem much more 'authentic' when running on period hardware.
Suggest you find a cheap ppc Powerbook. Even better a ppc G4 iMac, preferably the 1GHz or 1.25GHz (USB2 models) with upgraded RAM. Not only should it run well, but they are marvellous, beautifully engineered machines, and - icing on the cake - with all components easily user replaceable.
I guarantee that my SSD retrofitted G4 iMac will still be chugging along fine in 10years time, when 16" MacBookPros and some other post 2012 Macbooks will be trashed as impossible and/or non cost-effective to repair.

Last edited:

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
"Classic" has never existed on Intel Macs since it's a virtual machine that only works on PPC CPUs. I'm not a big fan of Classic mode as my experience with a lot of programs has been poor, but it's still fascinating to me that a G5 Quad built in 2006 could run a program written for the original Macintosh in 1984. In one fell swoop, that died, and even more backward compatibility went away in 2011 with Lion.

All of that aside, I agree that an old PowerBook or iBook is your best option. I like the Clamshells for old games due to their screen resolution, but that's a personal preference and have become enough of a collectors item that you may not want to spend the money.

Aside from that, there are a couple of emulators around that will let you run on an Intel Mac. Sheepsaver is one of the more popular ones.

Personally, I still have my Tandy 5 1/4" Carmen Sandiego disks...I bought a Tandy 1000 several months ago, but a friend a few states away still has it and hasn't had a chance to ship it yet. I'm looking forward to reliving some fun memories from my childhood, and that's one of the games on the list!

Reactions: MacTech68

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Still have my Apple II Where in the.... World, USA, Europe, and Time copies! Had my kid play ...Europe recently, and might have damaged his grade in Social Studies... (What do you mean "East Germany"? What are "Francs"?)

• Haha
Reactions: MacTech68
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.