Whatever happened to Rudy Guliani?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stevento, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Reality happened to Rudy 9ui11ani.

The rest of America is learning what New Yorkers already knew about the guy. The fact that he's being beaten by Ron Paul is testament to how poor of a candidate Rudy is.

He's trying to run as a pro-gun control, pro-choice Republican. Not gonna get you far with the rank-and-file in the GOP.

And to think he was the frontrunner at one point...

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I think his strategy has been to skip the heavy campaigning in the early primaries and focus on Florida. If he can manage to win Florida it'll change the entire dynamic of the gop race. Its a gamble for him yes, but if he wins that state he will have a better chance during super tuesday.

4. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

the only prez campaign ads i've seen here in florida so far is rudy's. alot of people around here are from new york, so that could go for or against him depending on how they think about him. someone did suggest florida hurricanes will give him an edge as he can deal with times of chaos (we only have chaos inducing hurricanes once every decade or so). so yeah, he's campaigning florida big time.

5. MacHipster macrumors 6502

stevento, this has been explained to you in at least two other threads. His campaign strategy is to skip the early primaries and focus on FL and Super Tuesday. Do you have your answer now or is it going to take several more threads?

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

But why is that his strategy? History tells us that skipping the early primaries isn't the way to win.

So is 9ui11iani skipping the early primaries because he feels it's better strategically for him, or because he knew he didn't have a chance and didn't want to have the "loser" label applied after he tried hard and came up way short?

IOW, is this "skipping the early primaries" really a strategy, or is it simply an acknowlegement of the reality of polling poorly in Iowa, NH, Michigan, SC etc.?

7. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I think it was to save some money and allow the field to thing down a bit. Whether a front runner did or didn't emerge early, he could still see if name recognition worked for Super Tuesday to even up on big delegate states. If it works, he's got the money to continue, if not then he didn't waste a lot chasing those early states.

8. MacHipster macrumors 6502

This has been their strategy for months. They hardly set foot in IA, NH, MI, and SC and have focused on the bigger states. Is it risky? Yes. Foolish? Most likely. Can it work? Possibly. Remember, they're working with limted resources and they campaign where they can make the biggest impact.

Personally, I think it was a dumb move. However, with no clear victor yet from the early primaries, he still has a good shot at taking the states where he has been campaigning. I see the GOP side of things at a stalemate until Super Tuesday.

It's similar on the Democratics side as well. I don't think we'll have a clear victor until Super Tuesday, and even then, it may not be wrapped up until August. Is anyone else excited at the prospect of a brokered convention?

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Since when are conservatives concerned about saving money??

Besides, 9ui11iani isn't Ron Paul or Duncan Hunter. He has the ability to raise quite a bit of $$$. Maybe his Arabian clientele can help him...

10. TimJim macrumors 6502a

His strategy is to not try in New Hampshire, Ohio, and Michigan and go all out in Florida.

I dont know why.

11. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

9/11 9/11 9/11 9/11 9/11 9/11 9/11 9/11 9/11 9/11 9/11 9/11 9/11 9/11 9/11

thats what happened to him.

12. walangij macrumors 6502

LOL :D

Its kinda sickening though.

So his strategy has had the word FAIL from most political junkies, but if he pulls through and wins Florida, and there is no front runner in the GOP then maybe his gamble will pay off (but probably not if one of the winners takes both SC and NV). The reasoning for Guliani's strategy is that Florida has much more delegates than the earlier states, the biggest state that is before super-Tuesday. But we'll see, I get flustered when I hear him bash other candidates and the other party. A lot of his ideas just are illogical. So we're going to fix the deficit, cut spending, lower taxes and expand our armed forces? What?? I mean, sounds good but how exactly?

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You mean a noun, a verb, and 9/11 isn't enough to get you elected? What has become of our country...

14. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

You still need Money:D

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

9ui11iani should be able to raise plenty of it. He sure managed to make himself rich off 9/11.

16. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Yeah, but the crowding of the field and the earliness of the primaries totally change the dynamics. And while I don't know if this is going to work for Rudy, things are certainly looking as well as he could hope: No clear frontrunner and the first few states split between three candidates.

17. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Wealthy enough to live comfortably, but not finance a presidential campaign. It's tough going through the primary unless you are relatively uncontested for your own party.

18. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Rudy is a pig. He has zero redeeming qualities. He would possibly supplant Bush, as the worst President ever.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

And what sucks for him, is I think he well liked by many and possibly could've won the nomination until he started pulling this 9/11 fear mongering crap.

I liked him before that, I even said awhile back that if the election came down to him and Hillary, I'd vote for him. Not anymore....

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well if he can't raise the money, that's an indicator of a lack of support.

21. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Maybe he had to go back to Deep Space Nine?

Attached Files:

22. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

That's true. Conservatives aren't looking for a pro choice candidate. He was initially viewed as a Hillary killer and like some of the other lesser candidates will be looking to parlay his delegates at the convention.

23. stevento thread starter macrumors 6502

stevento

i see Sen Biden's attack stuck with us.

he was supposed to be the hillary-smashing conservative star to go all the way. he's come 5th place or worse in all the GOP primaries so far.....

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Not very well apparently.

Only because it seems to be true. His latest ad even actually had images of 9/11. It's all he has, and even then, when put up to scrutiny, that falls apart as well. Just ask the NYFD.

He actually spent quite a bit in NH BTW, despite what's been reported.