Whatever Steve Jobs unveils at MWSF better be spectacular.

uv23

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2003
Calgary, AB
Pretty much. Doesn't help that we've whipped ourselves up into a mad frenzy of expectation with the last few months' worth of rumors.

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
Stella said:
Prediction:We will all be very disappointed.
While a lot of understandable enthusiasm has been generated for the upcoming event, I am inclined to agree with Stella and have lowered my expectations. There have been prior letdowns and this may be no exception ... MWSF may turn out to be AFCT (Another Forgettable California Tuesday).

BenRoethig

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Dubuque, Iowa
My prediction: this is going to be the most memorable Macworld in history. It's either going to be remembered for the insane amount of new products or the riot that happens after the keynote.

Bad Beaver

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2003
Yet another totally relevant piece of information from Boston. Didn't I complain about this Brett Arends guy just a few days ago? Just another superfluos piece of fluff clogging precious bandwidth.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
I've learned not to expect too much that way I can get excited when the news comes. It's not like Apple disappoints very often, just can't expect them to satisfy all the rumors that have passed through here.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
Stella said:
Prediction:

We will all be very disappointed.
No kidding. If you believe all the stuff people have been writing, Apple will be shipping something that will create world peace, eliminate crime, and be given away for free in every bag of potato chips.

And, of course the press believes their own rhetoric, so they'll be the first to scream "unfair" when reality fails to live up to their wishful thinking.

stoid

macrumors 601
shamino said:
No kidding. If you believe all the stuff people have been writing, Apple will be shipping something that will create world peace, eliminate crime, and be given away for free in every bag of potato chips.

And, of course the press believes their own rhetoric, so they'll be the first to scream "unfair" when reality fails to live up to their wishful thinking.
Actually, Apple's new plan is to create world peace and eliminate crime by giving out free bags of potato ships! :eek:

And as Father Dewis tells Shelly in Sam Shepard's play "Buried Child":
"Well you can hardly blame others for not fulfilling your hallucinations."

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
You guys are absolutely right! A lot of people will be bitching up a storm after the keynote because they didn't announce this, or that as was strongly predicted. This is what I don't like about rumor sites. They get everyone's hopes up for disappointment after an Apple Event, or Keynote Address.

What if Apple doesn't announce any Intel Macs? Does that automatically make the keynote a disappointment? IMO, no it doesn't! Apple never said they would intro new Intel Macs at MWSF, the rumor sites did. Apple said you would see the first Intel Mac in the summer of 2006. Most of the time, the rumors get to people's heads and they take it for granted.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
I'm sure I will be happy with whatever Jobs announces this upcoming Tuesday. There may be disappointments... but there will definitely be some good products unveiled. So either way, I know I'll be happy. :)

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I'm with everyone else. I'm sure there will be some cool stuff, but I'm also sure some here will be disappointed. There will be pages and pages of complaining. You get your hopes up over something that doesn't exist, and you will be disappointed. Those of us who love Apple are their harshest critics. This is one of the reasons Apple hates rumor sites.

And yes, I get the irony that I just said that on a rumor site... but I try not to get my hopes up too much.

24C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2004
People are bound to be disappointed, and it's odds on the share price will drop during the keynote/expo, but I didn't realise...
"Apple, even more than most other companies, needs to keep attracting and retaining the best talent. To do that, it relies on giving them generous stock option grants."... :rolleyes: lame article.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Let it be know far and wide that 30 seconds after the keynote if a dual core PowerBook isn't launched, doesn't NEED to be released, those in Bloomington, MN around the 494 hwy 100 area, where I work, will hear a piercing scream of anguish coming from me. Remember catwoman in Batman Returns in the rose garden where she broke every window around with her scream? Kinda like that but more intense and louder.

Just an early public service announcement for those who will be wondering what the hell that was all about. :(

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
This reminds me of the link floating around (too lazy to look) about the Apple Product Cycle. In the same way, it seems that-- perhaps out of self-preservation-- mac zealots start to backtrack a bit near the eve of a keynote.

That said, I also think we'll be disappointed. I'm expecting some kind of intel portable (my money's on a Powerbook), updated shuffles, and either an amazing mac mini or a face-melting "one more thing" product.

I guess that's why I'll be disappointed, too. :(

Squire

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
This is the downside to being a rabid Mac user. I think I'll switch to a PC, so I don't have to put up with all this crap!

:mad:

Here's to the Crazy Ones

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
Lacero said:
This is the downside to being a rabid Mac user. I think I'll switch to a PC, so I don't have to put up with all this crap!
The PC crowd has one big advantage - multiple hardware suppliers.

When Intel announces a new chip (CPU, core-logic, whatever), they don't have to wait for Dell (or HP, or whatever) to sell a system with it. Those who want it immediately can buy their own parts (motherboard, CPU, etc.) from a web site and install it in a generic case. (And Intel will be selling motherboards even if nobody else has one ready yet.)

Mac users can't do this because Apple is the only source for all the key parts of a Mac (motherboard, case, power supply, CPU module, etc.) Even if the rumor about Intel making the motherboard ends up being true, and there's nothing special other than some TPM programming, that board will still not be available except through Apple. So new processor tech can't be used in a Mac until Apple decides to sell it, however long that may end up taking.

(Of course, PC laptop users have almost the same problem. It's usually not possible to build your own laptop from generic parts. But at least there are multiple companies selling PC laptops, and they all tend to rush to get the latest tech to market, in order to gain/keep market share.)

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Lacero said:
I don't know, I mean, they just got done with that whole CES thing with Bill Gates' keynote. The next version of Windows is... exciting. To some people. Um, I hear GateWay is coming out with a new case! And... well... AMD has a new chip that's going to be 15% faster. Aren't you just on the edge of your zzzzzzzzzz.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
This will be the one super-mega-hyped-up MacWorld that won't actually disappoint. We'll get Intel Macs of some sort, and we'll get a new app of some sort, and probably an upgrade of an existing app (probably part of iLife). If they give us that, there won't be THAT much to complain about, other than Airport Express not allowing for video streaming.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
SiliconAddict said:
Let it be know far and wide that 30 seconds after the keynote if a dual core PowerBook isn't launched, doesn't NEED to be released, those in Bloomington, MN around the 494 hwy 100 area, where I work, will hear a piercing scream of anguish coming from me. Remember catwoman in Batman Returns in the rose garden where she broke every window around with her scream? Kinda like that but more intense and louder.

Just an early public service announcement for those who will be wondering what the hell that was all about. :(
Pwned.

Though I see the iBooks more than the PBs, though you never know. ;)

They're both in bad shape IMO.

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
Squire said:
This reminds me of the link floating around (too lazy to look) about the Apple Product Cycle. In the same way, it seems that-- perhaps out of self-preservation-- mac zealots start to backtrack a bit near the eve of a keynote.
You mean this one?
It's so true.