Whatimpact could the earthquake in Japan have on shipping?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by CAWjr, Mar 11, 2011.

1. CAWjr macrumors 6502

CAWjr

I was up at 4AM this morning waiting to place my order until I saw the "ships in 3-5 business days" statement & decided to try & pick one up over the weekend & if I have no luck, I will order online.

But as I was up & had the laptop open, I saw all the devastation coming out of the earthquake & tsunami in Japan. While initial reports are that there was no damage done to China, it made me wonder how or if the supply lines & distribution channels were affected by this. I believe that if the shipments take a direct route from China to the US, the impact is nill, there still could be a ripple effect if any resources are diverted to Japan or were somehow impacted.

Does anyone think that the events from this morning will have any impact on the logistics of fulfilling orders?

*** And for the record, I am not trying to diminish the devastation. The lives that have been impacted or lost are thousands of times more important ahan a new iPad. That said, this is an Apple forum, so take it for what it's worth. ***

2. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

If it does, just put things into perspective.

3. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I know you aren't trying to diminish anything, but regardless of this being an Apple forum it still sounds pretty self absorbed to say "So do you think that event that has devestated thousands (or maybe hundreds of thousands) of innocent people will delay my personal luxury item by a day or two?"

But for what it's worth I don't expect it would cause any delay. Maybe a day or so.

4. Prolif1k macrumors 6502

1. It probably won't affect anything at all.
    2. Seriously, wtf? Just because you finish by saying you're not trying to diminish anything doesn't exonerate your post. It's like saying "Hey I don't mean to sound racist or anything, but I hate minorities"
    3. I hope your iPad gets delayed because of this post.

5. iAmLegend macrumors regular

iAmLegend

This thread should be framed and displayed in museums as a symbol of our culture.

6. WoodrowCall macrumors 6502

WoodrowCall

Yeah, I don't feel like I can discuss this without automatically becoming a terrible person.

7. racer1441 macrumors 68000

i have no issue with the OPs question. Think about it. We're all unhappy and worried about Japan, but it's not a direct impact on us daily. It'll be 5 minutes on the local news, maybe one article in the local paper, and that will be that.

It's just human nature.

8. CAWjr, Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011

CAWjr thread starter macrumors 6502

CAWjr

First, if you had read the first sentence of my post, you would have seen that I never ordered one this morning, so I am simply posing the question in general, not for personal reasaons.

Second, exactly how is this situation any different than people complaining that oil & gas prices are soaring way too high as a result of people revolting in the middle east & dictators are killing their own people? It is the discussion of how there is a chain reaction of events as a result of an unfortunate or tragic situation.

You can have empathy & still wonder about the business implications of a catastrophe at the same time. We as humans possess the mental capacity to do both.

9. JeffLebowski41 macrumors regular

10. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

Another one of these threads?

Really?

My friend who lives in Osaka has a sister who lives in Sendai that he can't get ahold of.....this is friend I have known for a long time, I also know his sister Kaori, this is just unbelievable lack of tact folks, you and the mods ought to be ashamed...:(

11. iAmLegend macrumors regular

iAmLegend

Time and place dude...

Time and place.

12. TheAppleGeek macrumors 6502a

LOL!

I wouldn't be too worried, to be quite honest. Let's just hope the tsunami coming into the West Coast isn't too major.

13. RCGMac macrumors regular

The fact you are still asking about a personal luxury toy when a disaster is unfolding is pretty revolting. 60,000 to 70,000 people may be homeless because of this earthquake. You may have thought your question was innocent, but it shows a real lack of tact right now. Sure life goes on here, but worrying if the iPad will be delayed because of this earthquake is pretty short-sighted.

14. CAWjr thread starter macrumors 6502

CAWjr

I bet there are millions of people in the US alone that know someone in Japan. Does that mean that we are all not allowed to discuss the situation? I bet there are millions of people who know someone in Egypt, Libya, Yemen, etc. Does that mean that we are not allowed to discuss the situation?

15. mac jones macrumors 68040

no impact. It's Japan not China most effected.

Japan is not a hub they go through, or at least they don't need to. (I don't think)

16. CAWjr thread starter macrumors 6502

CAWjr

Funny because I thought that the time was 3/11 & this place was Mac Rumors, where the discussion revolved around Apple products on a major release day. Are you saying that we should stop all discussions because of this? How about we tell all the retail stores to box those iPads back up because selling them at 5PM would be disrespectful?

If you want to discuss the tragedy itself, I am sure there are other sites to do that, but this is still an Apple discussion forum, not the Red Cross.

17. Prolif1k macrumors 6502

Yeah, we can discuss the situation in Japan. But only people with a lack of connection to the real world are thinking, "Gee, I wonder if iPad shipments from Asia are going to be delayed because of this." Do you honestly not realize how idiotic and careless that sounds?

And your previous post saying that humans can think about two things at once is ridiculous. Nobody questioned the capacity of the human mind to handle multiple subjects. It has nothing to do with what you brought up.

18. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

You really can't be surprised though. Sadly, I'm not. :(

19. racer1441 macrumors 68000

And those people will be receiving massive aid and support from the US, as they should. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of those big televised fund drives with President Clinton and Bush, bunch of celebs, ect. And I'm sure the people who buy iPads will also give money.

These are not mutually exclusive concepts.

20. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

+1, this is a really distasteful thread. Who cares about your stupid iPad and if its delayed.

21. jdminpdx macrumors 6502

I picture this as to what the OP looked like after placing his Apple order, only to find out about the tsunami...

[​IMG]

22. RCGMac macrumors regular

I never stated they were mutually exclusive. As another poster said, it's all about time and place. It's great to be excited about the release of the new iPad today and nobody is saying those discussions should be stopped. I do take issue with the real disconnect of wondering how the precious iPad will be affected because of the earthquake, it is pretty tasteless.

23. gtmac macrumors 6502a

It's human nature to have quick passing thoughts of meaningless things like this but man you need a filter!!!!

You just let it go and wish good thoughts for all of those impacted by this tragedy! Not when is my iPad coming!

24. OptyCT macrumors 6502

The implication of the question is that you hope that a national tragedy doesn't delay the shipment of your iPad 2. Is it wrong to ask the question? No. Is is insensitive? Yes.

That being said, I see this question as no different than the thousands of stock market analysts who are pouring over the reports coming out of Japan and trying to decide what businesses and industries will be most affected. With every tragedy, there is a human and non-human toll. Some will ask, how many people were killed, while others will ask how many flights will be delayed. It all depends on what your connection to the affected area or region is. Does anyone believe that an iPad is more important than a human life? Of course not.

25. stevensr123 macrumors 6502

lad have ****in word with yourself , "owners of the iPad will help". Pathetic.

Mods need to pull there finger and delete this classless thread.