What're the chances of getting a MacBook Pro Retina full specced at the Apple Store?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mykonos, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Mykonos macrumors member

If the chances are low, I'll just order it now so I don't have to wait longer

Thanks in advance!

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

What do you mean "full specced"? If you're wanting anything customized from the base options, you'll have to order it.

3. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

I'd say somewhere between 0 and 100% :D.

But seriously, like over analyzer said, generally the stores only carry the base models that are listed on the website. If you want to change any options to fully spec it out, then it's a build to order machine and you have to order it.

Although I have seen rare exceptions to this rule, I'd say your chances are small.

4. Mykonos thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. Full specced: Upgraded processor, upgraded ram, upgraded SSD to $3700 price tag.

I'm only asking because I purchased a MacBook Air for company use in October at the Apple Store, with all the upgrades. Was in stock that day

5. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Apple generally always carries the base models and the top spec model. This is supposed to be the case with the Retina as well, but not likely until stock improves.

6. Mykonos thread starter macrumors member

Top spec- as in the second tier base model, or the model I'm looking for?

7. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

In my experience, it's very uncommon for Apple stores to have upgraded spec models in stock, so I wouldn't normally expect them to have anything above the 2.6GHz/512GB/8GB in stock. That might occasionally prove untrue, but I think it's especially unlikely with limited stock right now, and particularly for the maxed out configuration of 2.7GHz/768GB/16GB.

8. Exponent macrumors regular

Up until now, the odds are nil

I'm both working with my local Apple retail outlet, as well as have an "Ultimate" model on order at the online store.

So far, nobody's been able to get ahold of a model with the 768 GB SSD. (There's one person on the forum who was claiming they had one delivered from online store in the first few days after the announcement, but I think they were just BSing for feelings of self-importance.)

As far as what this week holds? Who knows. However, since not a single soul, even ordering in the first few minutes the store came back online, has seen the maxed-out SSD, I suspect they won't get to brick & mortar retail at least for another few weeks.

9. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

What part of top spec don't you understand.

They are supposed to carry the two base models and a maxed "second tier." The latter at some point in the future, probably a month out.

Read the other threads about the "ultimate" model where this has already been covered.

10. Mykonos thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate you adding in your own ancedote :)

11. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Just order online. If you read the stories on here, it can be a brutal attempt at futility to get the retina MBPs in store. If anything, you could continue the search in store, and then cancel the online order if you find the one your looking for.

12. Mykonos thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

0, If it's BtO then then need to produce it somewhere else.

14. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

everything that i've read is that apple stores usually carry a fully upgraded model in stores, but not until stock supply stabilizes.

there have been one report of a person getting a fully upgraded model two days after launch, and another about fully upgraded models in stock in nj yesterday, but no one actually knows if these are true or not.

some 2.6ghz 768gb models are reported preparing for shipment from the online store, notably for those who ordered on the 12th. there are also a bunch of us who ordered 2.7ghz 768gb models on the 11th that are still processing.

15. ProMod macrumors 6502a

I just want the $2799 model with 16 GB RAM, totaling $2999. Has anyone seen this model at a retail store?

16. gusnyc macrumors 6502

I called all the Apple Stores in NYC

I called last week all the Apple Stores in NYC (twice). They said that it would take at least a couple of months to get the ultimate model. The first time I called they some said that they wouldn't carry that model at all. Anyway, I ordered online. Still processing. I don't think anybody got the model with 768 yet.