Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What would give me the best bang for the buck?

• A new 21.5" iMac from Amazon/Macmall for $1150

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • A refurbished newer model 21.5" for _____ from _____

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A refurbished older model 27" for _____ from ______

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Other (please explain your choice your below with a reply)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

iPad 2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
First, are there rumors that a huge major update for all Macs is in the pipeline in 2012 that I should wait for. Or is that mostly just hogwash?

I want to get an older 27" i3/i5 iMac for ~1200 if possible. Otherwise I'll have to settle for a mere 21" one.

Also, is there any possible way to connect a PS3 to an iMac (I really want to play blu rays on it somehow)?

Is it possible to swap out the hdd for a SSD on the older iMacs or the newer ones?

Any recommendations on what would give me the best bang for the buck in terms of iMacs (older or newer) is very welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Apple's refurb store is your best option. You can connect PS3 to 27" iMac using HDMI to mDP adapter, they go for ~150$. SSDs use the same SATA interface so you can replace the HD with an SSD if you want to.

iPad 2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
Thank you for the quick response. I take it the Apple refurbished store offers better prices than any other online refurbished store?

You can connect PS3 to 27" iMac using HDMI to mDP adapter, they go for ~150$.

Yikes!? Any chance I might be able to find a cheap generic HDMI to mDP adapter from ebay/meritline for under $50?

SSDs use the same SATA interface so you can replace the HD with an SSD if you want to.

Awesome. Thank you. Is the procedure to swap the hdd more complicated on the newer iMacs than the older iMacs? Is it really tough swap left for professionals or is it doable even for someone who isn't super experienced?

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
My mdp to hdmi solution cost $9 at mono price. Mdp dongle and hdmi cable. Not sure why anyone would pay $150 for that solution.

iPad 2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
My mdp to hdmi solution cost $9 at mono price. Mdp dongle and hdmi cable. Not sure why anyone would pay $150 for that solution.

Awesome.

Can you post a link to the dongle by any chance. A search for mdp on monoprice is turning up nothing for me.

andrew8404

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
Loma Linda, Ca

Because your dongle can't input anything only output. The 150 dollar solution is the only way to hook up a ps3 to your 27 iMac. And the 27 is the only iMac or Pro that has a input mdp.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Thank you for the quick response. I take it the Apple refurbished store offers better prices than any other online refurbished store?

I haven't seen many stores selling refurbs and if they do, the quality may not be as good as Apple's (and possibly not as good warranty). Apple's prices are pretty good too.

Yikes!? Any chance I might be able to find a cheap generic HDMI to mDP adapter from ebay/meritline for under $50?

All adapters I've seen are around 150$. It has to be HDMI to mDP, not other way around (those could be had for 5$).

Awesome. Thank you. Is the procedure to swap the hdd more complicated on the newer iMacs than the older iMacs? Is it really tough swap left for professionals or is it doable even for someone who isn't super experienced?

It's not the easiest but there are good guides and as long as you're patient and know what you're doing, it should be doable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.