What's a fair price for my imperfect Gold iPhone 5s?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by andyACEcandy, Sep 11, 2014.

1. andyACEcandy macrumors 6502a

Yes, I have the original box and charger. It's a Gold iPhone 5s base 16gb model for T-Mobile. The IMEI is clean and all good to go.

However, my wife dropped the phone a while back and basically shattered the screen. We got the screen replaced from some 3rd party place for like $70. The fingerprint home button no longer works (I think they must have had to replace the original).
    Everything worked fine for a while, but now, she gets these weird things that happen on the screen. Sporadically, it won't be as responsive to the touch. Almost as though something happened with the digitizer? Maybe something is loose inside? Like she'll try and send a text, but it'll just type ttttttttttttttttt a bunch of times or something. She then has to restart the phone and then everything works perfectly.

Given this information, which I would make absolutely clear to the buyer, what is a good price for me to list this phone at? Aesthetically, it looks flawless. But obvious something is wrong with the insides if the screen sometimes doesn't respond.

I see they go for around $450-$500 on Craigslist and eBay, so would $300 be reasonable?

2. Tavicu macrumors regular

Tavicu

If i'm not wrong you can change the display at Apple for around 100$! Then you can sell it for more

3. andyACEcandy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Even without applecare? And honestly, I don't even know if it's a display issue... if the screen isn't responsive/delayed? Wonder if that's a digitizer problem.

4. Tavicu macrumors regular

Tavicu

Hey! I' sorry! I was wrong! It costs 269$ and yes, it's too much for a display ...

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone/repair/screen-damage/

5. wannabepcuser macrumors member

You're looking at a broken screen and a broken finger sensor. I am sure both are expensive to have Apple replace.

I personally wouldn't pay more than 150 as-is for it. There could also be other things wrong then just the screen and touch-Id.

AppleCare is definitely worth it for the phones.

6. andyACEcandy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm... maybe some shop on Craigslist will pay me since they'll know how to fix it.

But yeah I'm thinking more in the $200s now

7. bmwx12 macrumors newbie

You could try Craigslist for the whole thing, or try parting it out on ebay if you want to take the time and effort.