What's a good external monitor for rMBP

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by alsec, Sep 5, 2012.

1. alsec macrumors newbie

I recently acquired the rMBP, having tons of fun with the machine btw, and am wondering what's a good external display hook up for it. Currently there is no indication of when apple will come out with an updated Thunderbolt Display, and I need something to tide me over until they do. My last external was an apple cinema display from 2005 and is now near unusable. So if anyone has any recommendations, I'm all ears. Thanks!!

2. mawyatt macrumors member

Apple Display

I am new the the Mac world and just got a MBPr also. Last Friday I went into a local Best Buy and saw the new 27" Thunderbolt IPS display. I had my MBPr with me so I hooked it up and all I can say is WOW!! They had a sale on for $950 and also had an open box for another $95 off. I got the open box.

This display has built in MBP power connector from a pigtail off the Thunderbolt connector. You need the $10 Mag 2 power adapter to work with the MBPr. The display also has Thunderbolt, Firewire, Ethernet, and 3 USB ports, plus a mike, speakers and a camera. It's really a docking station. It even works with my Microsoft USB wireless mouse and keyboard, so the MBPr just stay closed under the display.

Everything with this display just works as you would expect, and the image is exceptional.

3. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Yea I think Thunderbolt Display would be a really good investment :)

However, you should have a look at it in store or buy one and make sure you got 14 days to return it. Because your standard changed after the Retina display :D

I'm still thinking whether I should get a Thunderbolt display + MacBook Air, because I really want a big screen but I don't want to give up the Retina lol

4. chaseychasem macrumors regular

Can anybody comment on font crispness when an MBP or rMBP is connected to a Cinema or TB display? Recently acquired an HP ZR2440w but now fear that the antiglare coating is interacting with OS X font rendering to produce eyestrain. The fonts are readable but just fuzzy enough to become annoying after more than a few minutes.

5. markp99 macrumors member

You really should get that looked at:

[​IMG]