What's a good LCD monitor?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by superspiffy, Mar 29, 2008.

1. superspiffy macrumors 6502a

I'm looking to buy an LCD monitor for my MBP. I'm not sure yet about what size, but I think at least a 20''. I'm going to use it for some video editing and gaming (especially shooters). I don't know much about monitors, so what kinds of specs are considered good? How are the ACDs? Or can anybody recommend anything good?

2. canucks-17 macrumors regular

canucks-17

Considering this is a mac bias forum, I would say the ACD. Now as size is concerned, the 20 enough but you should just buy as big as you can afford. As for specs, response time is important, as well as contrast ratio.

3. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

4. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Yep, I'd go with an ACD or a Dell. A few notes, though. ACD's big advantage is that they have excellent color representation.. They aren't necessarily "gaming" monitors. Dell is more in that field.

5. gothamm macrumors 6502a

jesus r. christ, whatever you do, don't get an ACD.

Ridiculously outdated, and doesn't even support hdcp.

I picked up a 24" westinghouse monitor from sam's club for $330. Awesome, just awesome. It uses an Mp-v panel instead of the cheap TN panels you will find in most computer monitors (way better viewing angles)

6. bradbowl macrumors member

Samsung or Dell (which are usually Samsung panels) are great high quality monitors. They are less than half the price of the equivalent ACD and just as good. Unless you want then to match the aluminum color.

7. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

i agree with bradbowl, there are some good prices out there for the Samsung and Dell 24" monitors, both good especially when calibrated with a spyder ;)

never install samsungs supplied software, makes skintones appear orange,just invest in a good calibration kit :)

8. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I've been quite happy with my old Dell 2405WFP and 3007WFP-HC. If choosing a Dell monitor, keep in mind that the "Ultrasharp" line uses higher quality panels than the non-Ultrasharp models. Most (if not all) of the Ultrasharps use S-IPS panels which are regarded by many as the best type of panel.

Another thing to consider when shopping for a monitor is to make sure that they are 8 bit rather than 6 bit panels (also known as 24 bit and 18 bit panels, respectively). 6 bit panels can only display about 262,144 colors while an 8 bit panel can display 16,777,216 colors.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

And Apple uses S-IPS panels, which are better than "MVA" panels (not "Mp-V).

Dell's 20" 2007 WFP models use S-IPS or S-PVA panels. Which one you get is based on luck. All Dell 24" monitors use S-PVA, which is in the middle in terms of colour accuracy, and response time. It may be a good compromise for those who want to play games AND do colour-accurate photo editing. All Dell 30" use S-IPS panels, just like Apples. This is where Apple's 30" LCD may not be as good as Dells. I haven't looked into it, though.

There's no such thing as the "best" LCD monitor. "Best" for what? If your big desire is to play games, the Apple and Dell I mentioned aren't the best. The cheapest TN panel LCDs with the super-fast response time and the over-saturated colours is likely the best. Everything looks bad-ass. However, the LCDs with the slowest response times are typically S-IPS, and they're most colour accurate, and they don't shift with time. The colours also don't shift with viewing angle (or not as much).

That's not to say you can't edit colours with any monitor. You can. You only need to worry about this "colour accuracy" BS if you calibrate your monitor with a Spyder, Gretag-MacBeth, etc, and you also print your photos at a decent place. Most people don't, and so most people don't benefit from having an S-IPS panel LCD.

10. superspiffy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can't find anything about the ACDs having the S-IPS panels in the tech page nor the Dells and their S-IPS or S-PVA panels. The sites just say they're both TFTs whatever that means.

11. superspiffy thread starter macrumors 6502a

What's hdcp and why do I need it? Do the Dells support whereas the ACDs don't?

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

They won't tell you on their sites. There are several websites that will tell you the type of LCD panel used in pretty much every monitor in existence, and tell you the manufacturer of that LCD panel.

13. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

You can try this one...

http://www.flatpanels.dk/panels.php

14. joeybagadonutz macrumors member

Still images vs. video

What is your main focus? Still images or video? If still images, photography, viewing angle or color accuracy, then get a S-IPS. What you gain in accuracy, you give up in speed.

Your post says video and gaming. Consider looking toward better response times in cheaper (but faster) non-IPS panels.

Size and price is also an issue. S-IPS are $$$ above 20".

15. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

TFT - Thin Film Transistor - The technology for LCD display
    S-IPS = Super In-Plane Switching

Info from Graphic Design Forum: (http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-16680.html)
    TN = Fast response times, poor viewing angle, poor colour, cheap. Perfect choice for gamers
    MVA = Good viewing angle, high contrast, lower response times, less brightness, poor colour. Perhaps best for watching movies?
    IPS (and S-IPS) = Much slower response times, high cost, poorer contrast and brightness, but the best colour reproduction.

I searched the web for a good 30 minutes and cannot confirm that Apple uses the S-IPS panel. However, it seems to be generally accepted by most reviews and technical sites. I don't know where they are getting their info though.

16. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

All ACDs use S-IPS panels.

17. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

HDCP stands for high-bandwidth digital content protection. Basically, it allows you to use your monitor to play content such as Blu-ray through the DVI port, (or if it comes with an HDMI port). Some people attach their PS3 or Xbox 360 to a monitor rather than a TV for example. If you plan on using your monitor to watch HD movies, then making sure it's HDCP enabled is important. I don't think ACD's are, but most other recent monitor are. Just look on the box or in the description/title.

From the uses you described, I would get a Samsung monitor, or something similar, since you won't be needing the color accuracy required for print work. A calibrator will tweak the less expensive monitors fine for video. Check out Newegg.com. They have a good review system, and excellent service/prices. Also, go to Best Buy or whatever you have local to you that is similar and check out a few options. For gaming, you'll want to consider the response time (lower is better for gaming). Good luck to you. :)

18. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

Yes, that is not disputed. The interesting part is that I can't find an Apple source that indicates that spec. As indicated, many reviewers and tech sites indicate that ACDs use S-IPS, I'd just like to verify it for myself.

19. superspiffy thread starter macrumors 6502a