What's a good price for an MBP with some cosmetic damage?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mikesown, Oct 22, 2008.

1. mikesown macrumors member

Right now I have a 2.16ghz Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro 15"(120gb HDD). The laptop came with 1gb of memory but I upgraded it to the maximum of 3gb. I'm thinking about selling the laptop and getting a new 15" MBP. The only problem is that the computer has some slight cosmetic damage:

1. On the lower left of the part of the case surrounding the keyboard and trackpad, there is a dent. Basically the metal in the corner is raised up and the covering has scratched off so that it's shiny. This isn't a HUGE dent, but it is noticeable.

2. Because of (1), the paint on the top left of the case surrounding the LCD is scratched off so it's shiny. Again, not huge, but worth noting.

3. The metal above the expresscard slot(on the side of the case) is bowed outward slightly.

4. On the back left of the case, the metal is slightly malformed, since (I believe) when I was carrying the laptop home in the rain in my backpack, some got in and warped the case. This didn't cause any damage to the computer, but it slightly changed the case.

5. There are a few scratches on the bottom of the case, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Also, the computer only has Tiger(I have a Leopard family pack so I can't sell it with Leopard).

Any ideas about how much a computer in this condition would sell for?

Thanks,
    Mike

(Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum - feel free to move this post if it's not).

2. mikesown thread starter macrumors member

One thing I forgot to mention - the laptop has AppleCare which expires in December 2009.

3. mcruzader macrumors regular

It all really depends on the person. For instance I recently sold my white 2.1 macbook for way more than I was really expecting :D, enough to actually buy the new alum 2.4 macbook only paying the tax. But to note, I didn't have any cosmetic damages on it whatsoever. I guess you should really try to see if you can get apple care to fix some parts, also do install Leopard that is always a plus, are you sure you have a Core 2 Duo and not Core Duo?

4. mikesown thread starter macrumors member

Well I'd have to go out and spend the 100 bucks on leopard to install that - not really a good idea when I'm selling in the 1k-2k range, since that's 5-10% of the selling price.

Also, yes, I'm sure it's a 15" Macbook Pro 2.16ghz Core 2 duo.

Any idea on a rough ballpark fair price(if I put it on eBay, how much would I get)?

5. mcruzader macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure you can install the Leopard family pack on more than 5 computers. But besides that I guess you are looking at around a grand, give or take a few.

6. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

Yeah, with the cosmetic defects it does take the price down (since many people wouldn't buy one with obvious dents for a high price). I'd say you could likely get up to $1200 out of it, especially if you forgot ethical concerns and slapped Leopard on it.