What's Apple's Logic In Not Making It Easy To Swap Between Black and White?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by donster28, Oct 3, 2012.

1. donster28 macrumors 65816

Apart from just wanting to swap to the other colour because of a change in mind, why won't Apple Stores allow one to swap colours when exchanging a defective one?

2. Joewat64 macrumors regular

3. Coldsnow macrumors regular

I was able to swap mine through my provider (verizon) from black to white a couple months back.

4. donster28 thread starter macrumors 65816

I know there are exceptions...I'm referring to the norm. :)

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Because then everyone would be swapping phones every few months just because they know they have the option.

6. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Think about it from a BUSINESS perspective.

The phones are in short supply. Giving you one means somebody else is not going to get one right away.

You phone is now used. Has to processed, refurbed and sold as used.

Imagine if Toyota allowed you take a car back after a few days because of the color.

Silly stuff.

7. itjw macrumors 65816

Because they can

Because they can and you will still wait in line to buy another one anyway

But more likely because:

They are different SKU's and different products. They may seem the "same", but they are not (hence why you want to swap... they are in fact different products). Name anything else that allows you to swap complete products after the return period?

If you process a return within 30 days you can certainly swap colors. After that, you need to get over your choice and either sell it (usually for near what it costs anyway) and replace it with what you want, or keep it and realize that you chose it in the first place.

8. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

What? Comparing a car worth thousands to a phone worth only hundreds? Yeah makes total sense.

If they wanted to get rid of the processing of refurbs they should bring back the restocking fees. People just return to purchase another. If they allowed to swap to a different device and that device is a refurb it would make more sense.

9. donster28 thread starter macrumors 65816

Please do keep in mind that I am citing a replacement for a defective unit, not just a simple a colour preference change. I do understand why I can't exchange just for the sake of wanting the other colour instead.

10. botsmack macrumors member

I don't understand the trouble with swapping. Is the Apple store giving you a hard time or not allowing it? If it's within the 30 day window you can do whatever you want — swap it out, get a refund, etc. I just did that today at my local Apple store, in fact.

I walked in on Sunday and asked to exchange my black for the white. They told me they were sold out, but to check the evening inventory starting the next business day. Finally last night they had my right size and carrier in white. This morning they were sold out from reservations. So I just got a refund and will purchase during the 10 p.m. inventory update so I can reserve it instead of rolling the dice that there will be one in the morning.

In fact, the Apple sales lady asked me what I wanted to put for a reason and she just said "Buyer's Remorse" — quoting from their app for reason for return. I just re-activated my iPhone 4 and will try to order each evening until one is in stock.

At no time did they ever say I couldn't swap it out. They never asked why I was wanting to swap it out. In fact, they did everything they could to help me get it resolved by giving me the different scenarios I could do.

11. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Like he said though, an iPhone has been made because you put an order in for it. Therefore, the colour you chose was what was manufactured. You're taking someone else's choice when you switch colours.

12. donster28 thread starter macrumors 65816

Not allowed in my local Apple Stores. In fact, once that phone has been used for more than 30 minutes, it's considered sold for good and would just qualify for a similar colour replacement. This applies to a phone bought on contact.

I can see why you could have done that...you might have gotten an unlocked one, right?

----------

Hmmm..it does make sense to assume that both are different Apple products with different SKU's.

13. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I understood your question, but I envision all sorts of "problems" occurring with people's iPhone "all the sudden" and going in to "fix" the headphone jack and walking out with a different colored iPhone/iPad/iPod touch/iPods.

Accessories are also covered under warranty, so will people also be allowed to swap Smart Covers, Bumpers, Cases?

14. donster28 thread starter macrumors 65816

So you're suggesting Apple's reason is to simply control un-reasonable exchanges? I'm sure they already have control over that by checking phones before exchanging them. I'm more curious to know why, with a legit case, I can't just have a colour exchange after saying, "hey, could I have a white one instead, maybe I'll be lucky with a different colour this time around."

15. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

This may likely change as they become more available. But for now iPhone 5's are not exactly commonplace.

----------

As I stated before, the order you put in originally for your phone made it so they manufactured a certain colour - they were all accounted for. The two phones have different SKU's, so they aren't "just the same thing" therefore it isn't viable to exchange. If you weren't a flip-flopper and made up your mind, it wouldn't be an issue (your issue, that you're turning into Apple's fault :rolleyes:)

16. troy14 macrumors 6502a

Not really sure. I have my iPhone 5 black authorized for a warranty replacement as well and they would not switch it to white either. They cited that logistical issues with different part #s, which sort of makes sense. I believe there has to be a pretty easy way around this but I have seen very few posts on people who successfully had the swap without doing a return and rebuying... which is an issue for me because I originally bought it at Verizon... never again

17. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I had to have my iPhone 5 replaced due to it not making calls. Asked if I could swap for the white but he said they couldn't do it.

My guess is they keep replacement stock based on what the store sells, so if someone takes the other color, someone with that color may come in and have to wait for a replacement device.

18. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

well, you can do a return and repurchase and change colors that way.

I think a lot of it has to do with applecare+. If they allowed you to change colors, people would intentionally drop their phones if after 6 months they wanted the white instead of black or vice versa.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Because it is an entirely different SKU, the products are not the same.

Thats retail.

20. kalexn macrumors 6502

it also may have to do with the whole "scuffgate" issue and people who are changing their minds for white and then maybe people who had white in the beginning but had a problem with the phone are unable to get theirs replaced. Who knows. They can do what they want :)