What's Apple's position on the matte display option? Is this the time to buy it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by swedefish, Aug 23, 2011.

1. swedefish macrumors 6502

My current lineup is in the signature. However, as I will be moving around in the year to come, I'd like to ditch my desktop setup with my beautiful matte 20-inch ACD. I often use my MBP on its own, but whenever I do I find that I desperately miss the matte display, plus, 13" isn't really enough screen real estate for me. Hence, I am sincerely considering getting a 15" base model MBP with a matte screen. However, I do know that Apple most likely will come out with a brand new line of MBPs next year, which is why I am asking what Apple's current position is on matte displays.

On the one hand, I have bad experience buying Rev. 1 Macs (hello Powerbook G4 and MacBook Air), however, on the other hand, I'd be pretty annoyed if Apple released a new MBP line with improved battery life, USB 3.0, and a matte display... but I also don't want to put myself in a position where there will no longer be a matte option.

I know the conventional logic is that if you need a computer now, buy what's available and stop fretting what may or may not be released in the future, but the point is that I technically do not NEED a computer now.

I'd appreciate insights anyone might have re Apple's position on matte displays as well as learning other perspectives on this problem of privilege :rolleyes:

Thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What does this even mean? What "position" are you talking about? Apple's "position" on matte screens is that they are a custom option you can choose to buy, or not.

3. swedefish thread starter macrumors 6502

i.e. is Apple likely to ditch this option in the next generation MBPs? I thought perhaps someone would have a general idea re this. I haven't really followed what's going on with the MBP as of late as I originally meant for my next setup to be an iMac + 11" MBA.

4. sinser macrumors 6502a

sinser

I think he wants to know if Apple will keep the matte option in the future or remove it.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Nobody has any idea.

6. swedefish thread starter macrumors 6502

What do you know? Someone might and even if they don't they might have an interest in discussing the matter. It's MacRumors, you know...

7. oiuh151 macrumors 6502

They'll probably keep the option there. They got a lot of flack for removing the option on the original unibody MacBook Pro's.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I know as much about anyone else on these forums about Apple's future plans. Anyone can make up a rumor about the next MBP having/not having a matte option and it will have the same amount of credibility as the next guy. I guess you don't really get how this site works.

9. oiuh151 macrumors 6502

You can always buy a 2011 refurb with the antiglare if they do remove the option next year for whatever reason.

10. swedefish, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011

swedefish thread starter macrumors 6502

No, I am very familiar with this site, and to my understanding one is not discouraged from posting questions or asking for input. I now know your opinion on this matter, but I would actually like to also hear what others have to say, if anything.

If you don't care to discuss the next generation MBPs, then don't.

----------

This is what I am thinking as well, but I am unfortunately unable to find a good selection of refurbs with antiglare in my domestic Apple Store. Did Apple ever reveal what proportion of sold 15 and 17 models are antiglare?

It saddens me how I cannot trust Apple to keep this feature. The company's rationalizations obviously make sense financially, but it's a bit frustrating when it comes at such a high price to loyal customers.

11. sinser macrumors 6502a

sinser

No, I think you can't trust them, they may decide to remove it. It all depends on how much matte sells (not much I think). When the unibody came out and it was glossy only I was shocked and bought a discounted prev gen. For some people glossy sucks, but unfortunately it looks like the majority want the display to be shiny and reflective. I will never understand why, but that's how it goes.

12. oiuh151 macrumors 6502

I don't believe so regarding the sales. I wouldn't be worried about finding a refurb now if you aren't buying until 2012. I dont think finding one will be an issue at all.

Personally, I don't think Apple will remove the option anyway. I believe it will stay there. The glossy MacBook Pro looks like the iMac and the antiglare MacBook Pro looks like a MacBook Air. I think both options compliment Apple's current designs.

13. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I think oiuh151 got it right.
    They did remove the matte option and changed their mind about it.
    Also if you look at the big Windows Notebook Market you can see that the matte screen have a slow come back. They are all but disappearing. Samsung X900 as an example and few other too. Manufacturers are starting to figure out that there are quite a few people that do not just go into a store and buy the shiny stuff but actually something decent.

I bet the matte option will stay with us, but it will be only an option.
    The only alternative I can think of is that they might actually figure out some decent AG coating and make something that works good enough for everyone.

@miles01110 There are so many people here always saying that you cannot know. You don't have to "know" to make a good guess. In the stock market nobody (besides some insider) can really know what way a stock turns but there are people who can make very accurate guesses that often turn out true. If you have enough information about various aspects of a product, insdustry, technology there are loads of stuff that you can assume to be very likely or very unlikely and that is enough to discuss the subject.
    Like I can say that there won't be any OLED screens coming to the new MBP, because the Tech isn't there yet, neither is TMOS (which would be awesome). I can also say that they will not remove the 13" MBA from their portfolio, because I know it sells really good and they would be fools to do so and they aren't idiots.
    You can guess your opponents moves in some games too if you assume he/she/it is somewhat reational and you have a general idea of the opponents intelligence.

14. swedefish thread starter macrumors 6502

I certainly hope we will be able to trust Apple to keep this, but as you said: they did it before and that obviously means SJ wants it gone and doesn't his will usually prevail in the end?

The thing is that I am either buying now or sticking with my current MBP 13 + ACD desktop setup for another year. In a way, I sort of want to make the jump now, but it's a bit silly as I don't require a new computer and as I don't want to spend money at this point, hence why I asked re people's perception of Apple's position on the matte display. If the consensus is that it's probably going the Apple graveyard I will buy now anyway because having a matte display is THAT important to me. Might sound silly, but I am really adamant about this.

I hope you are right and I certainly hope Apple will continue to cater to those of us who use our Macs as more than coffee shop computers which means writing and PDF markups in my case; not processor heavy work per se, but I really do need a glare free screen for those 24-hour sittings.

15. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Me too I would buy a Dell Precision M4600 or something like this if there wasn't a matte MBP. Those glass screens are an absolute no go even now that I am very used to OSX and would miss it quite a bit.
    The current matte screen is awesome outdoors and everywhere. Especially brightly lit coffeshops suck with those glass screens. Mine is always perfect. I could use even more resolution. Maybe they make 1680x1080 standard and make the optional a FullHD.
    It is kind of doubtful considering the volume they want to sell and that high res screens are still such a high markup on Windows stuff that they probably cost quite a lot more and Apple wants money more than anything.

16. Dhelsdon, Aug 23, 2011

Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I wonder if anyone offers a 'screen protector' of sorts for the glossy display to reduce the glare on the screen. This would be another ideal solution, if they do decide to get rid of the matte display.

Edit: After a bit of searching, I found an article from MacWorld. It's a review of the PowerSupport Anti-Glare Film specifically for the glossy displays. Looks pretty good to me judging by the review. I am going to buy one for my glossy display if I get fed up with the glare.

17. dusk007, Aug 23, 2011

dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Trust me doesn't look as good as an actual matte screen. The glass in between doesn't help as this stuff works best if it is as close to the panel as possible. The reason it doesn't look too bad in the pictures is that these films usually offer better AR (anti reflex) coatings.
    The films do a great job with reflections but the general beauty of the screen suffers. They would work better on something like an Air without that glass in the way. Would be a little more difficult to apply. It is not actually that difficult. These reviewers seem a little dumb that want everything to be idiot proof and it is not but it is doable and one can actually clean such a film under running water and try again and again until one gets it write. Also removing those specks that create the bubbles works with just using a finger and smearing the darn thing out of the way.
    I used such a film on my old Samsung Notebook.

18. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

I'm using an antiglare film on my 13inch MBP and I can confirm that it is not the best solution. I've learned to see thru the grain so to speak but it is always there. If you are a nitpicker I'd imagine the antiglare film would not be ok.

As for me this is still preferable to the glass.

To address the OP's question. This is just a wild guess but since Apple will likely be trying to make a redesigned MBP thin and light like the Airs they might remove the glass. I've heard it adds a significant amount of weight to the machine. I don't know about you but I'd be happy with a glossy screen sans glass like the current MBAs

(I know some people like the black border but I think it looks cheap. Much prefer the silver but to each their own I guess)

19. swedefish thread starter macrumors 6502

Good to know that I'm not the only one concerned about this.

Unlike you I am so invested in Mac OS that I simply wouldn't be able to switch to a Windows machine at this point.

I liked the black border when it was new, but now I think the glass looks a bit cheesy. I do love the all-alu look but then I again, I am a huge fan of the PowerBook G4's which were some of the most beautiful pieces of hardware ever. I love how the matte MBPs invoke that PowerBook look lol.

I used to own a first gen MBA and I agree that the glare was much less obtrusive on the MBA screen compared to my current MBP.