What's better: Olympus XZ-1 or the Canon PowerShot S95?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by majordude, Feb 16, 2011.

1. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

I want to replace my $#@*& Panasonic Lumix point and shoot and I think I have narrowed it down to the Olympus XZ-1 and the Canon PowerShot S95... do you have any experience or insight with either?

2. snberk103 macrumors 603

To answer your Subject Line.... depends on your needs.

That is all.... :D

3. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

It's a toss up really. Probably comes down to personal preference. I've been looking at both recently. S95 has been out on the market longer and is a proven winner. The XZ-1 is getting great reviews and has a faster lens. I find the S95 just a bit on the smallish side for me but there are add on grips for it. S95 is $100 bucks cheaper on Amazon but I would lean towards the Oly if I were buying right now (I'm not. I decided to buy a lens instead). Tough choice, good luck :)

4. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

It really depends on the size/handling/interface that suits you; however, basically, if you need it to be more compact, the S95 is the way to go. Otherwise, the XZ-1 is a clear winner, imo.

5. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

I have never used any of those cameras, but if you want a rough comparison on them, I would recommend you checking this review. Good luck with whichever one you choose!

6. a1rflow macrumors member

I've had my S95 since Christmas and I've loved every bit of it. Highly recommend it!

7. dubels macrumors 6502

When is the XZ-1 going to be released? I am looking into both cameras as I don't want to lug my DSLR with me while backpacking through Europe. I am leaning towards the S95 because hopefully I will be able to find one used and it is more pocketable.