Whats chances of stock in US store in Aug?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MrMister111, Apr 13, 2015.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

Im in UK, and going to US in August. What is the chances do you think of walking into a store in Aug and buying a Apple watch? probably the sport type, either the 38 or 42, won't know until I try on.

Its cheaper in US compared to UK by about £50, so if going to get one, unsure still, await user reviews, then I'd like to get in US.

Can I from the UK, reserve at a US store to pickup like you can in UK stores?

thanks

2. Wreckus, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015

Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

Edit. Doh, thought you meant april 24 (need more coffee)

Really hard to tell and it all depends on the supply situation. But, you can always go into an  store in August and hope.

3. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

If they don't manage to have stock in the stores by August then they are in trouble.

I'm betting they will have limited stock on the 24th, and by the end of May you will be able to buy any version in the stores (except the Edition).

4. bgdrew macrumors member

August is probably a realistic expectation. You should be able to pick out one in-store then.

5. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

Probably not, man. Just order it online and send it to where you'll be staying. Whenever you place the order, you'll be at the end of the queue so you're better off getting on it sooner rather than later.

6. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Where is his post is he asking about the 24th? He's talking about August. :)

7. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

Yea, I realized that now...still asleep it seems.

8. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

Nobody here knows for sure, but usually after a few months of a major Apple launch, the product becomes readily available. With iPhones it is sometimes 3 or so months, so the watch I can suspect will be available widely by the summer given that the product is less popular than an iPhone.

9. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Suppose no one knows I understand this, but just wondering whats happened in past for popular Apple stuff, e.g. iPhone 6, how long before you could buy off the shelf?

Apple surely will look at whats been ordered the most of, and then concentrate on building those - Apple sport I presume.

Hopefully I can walk in, can I from UK do a pre-order now for a US store though and buy? can I chose 2 models, i.e. the 38 and 42, and then only actually buy 1?

Do I have to pay now or anything?

10. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

I'd assume nearly 100% in August. That is a long way away and production should have ramped up.

I assume the prices are better for you here in the States than the UK and that is why you want to buy here.

We will certainly know more about inventory in June and you can plan for August. But really I'd not worry about doing anything like pre-ordering until July comes around.

11. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

Apple generally has a ton of iPhone stock on launch day (with a few exceptions), so it's hard to make any predictions based on that.

12. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Works out about £50 cheaper inc tax in U.S. Just thought be better then to get as better supplies and user reviews then, and cheaper! Thought I'd be able to reserve though to ensure got one, but can't see, to from UK

13. Mr.C macrumors 601

First of all you should make sure the warranty is worldwide. It most likely is but it's always best to check. Secondly there os no reservation option anywhere at the moment including the US. This could change in the coming months if supplies get better and are no longer constrained. If you do preorder on the US site you will need to provide a US address. If you preorder now I think the latest dates are June so it wouldn't be possible to preorder for August delivery anyway.

All in all in my opinion it's not worth the hassle to be honest. I did think about preordering it on the US store and having it shipped to a relative in the US but there is no one coming from there or going there from here anytime soon so they would then have to ship it to me anyway which would incur shipping costs and possible customs charges so it really wasn't worth it for me.

14. Wildgift macrumors 6502

With no factual basis for this, I would be shocked if they are not in stores in August...

15. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

So now out a while not looking good? Send still a long lead time and nothing in stores yet. Chances now?

16. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Even now, I would be shocked if they didn't have it in-stock in stores by August. About the only thing that may possibly prevent that from happening is a serious supply-chain issue.

17. madsci954 macrumors 68030

I think the odds are still good. Both SS link bracelet varieties will probably still be in short supply, but the Sport models should be in stock.

18. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hope so, had first quick look in store at W/end, looked decent, only on the table not on wrist though.

If do get one, it's an extravagant purchase really, so would probably go for the lowest price sport one. Probably the black to as other straps are too bright.