what's coming up to heat the massiv hype for 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by g8bo, May 27, 2008.

1. g8bo macrumors member

g8bo

the title says it. how might apple achieve this goal? i just think something is missing at that moment, just a piece that would brew up the media and potential buyers!

what do you think about that?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Well if they have directional GPS, a slightly thinner enclosure, a front facing camera, a better back camera, a slightly better battery and 3G, I think there will be few complaints.

3. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

What's to hype, really? The iPhone going 3G means little to Americans, since US carriers employ antiquated 2.5G technology, and for Europeans and others it simply means that they're getting the iPhone, period. The iPhone supporting 3G is nothing to hype in countries where 3G has been the standard for ages, it simply means that the iPhone is a normal phone now. To advertise "iPhone - now with 3G" would be kinda like "Ford cars - now with seat belts!". It's assumed that cars have seat belts and rather embarrassing that this is a new "feature". Hopefully the iP2 has some other cool stuff that will be the main selling point.

4. neven macrumors 6502a

You might want to read through the archives for news on AT&T rolling out an impressive 3G network in June. Current coverage isn't exactly embarrassing either.

One stunning feature will be, "now available in your country."

5. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Sold! Not. :D

It appears (from this side of the pond anyway) that the big challenge for Apple was going up against Blackberry, and the European market is radically different in that very few people give a crap about PDA functionality and practically nobody's using a Blackberry. Here, it's all about either having the smallest phone imaginable, or the one with the most bells & whistles (good camera, entertainment stuff, a billion ringtones etc... not push email or calendar or maps or any of the old geezer stuff). If they try to push it from the PDA angle, it won't work...

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

Verizon and Sprint have had EVDO deployed in the US for ages now. :confused:

If you haven't already seen how they pushed it in the US:
    http://www.apple.com/iphone/ads

Although with hundreds of thousands of them being purchased per quarter in the US for re-sale (on the gray market) on your side of the pond, I'm wondering the iPhone needs any pushing at all? :D

7. neven macrumors 6502a

I think BlackBerry is still a future target for Apple. Current iPhone demographic in the US seems like a perfect crossover of the Mac and iPod markets - tech-savvy young people and status-gadget-seeking kids.

8. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Well, then it's even more puzzling that Apple didn't just go ahead and make the iPhone 3G compatible right from the beginning, with the added bonus of being able to sell it around the globe. Maybe they were just hell bent on forcing Americans to pay twice for an iPhone, while the rest of us get away with a single purchase?
    Yeah, I've seen quite a few of them here in Sweden. Some are probably from the UK, while others have been picked up on vacations and business trips to the US. The US was never a common vacation spot before, but now that the USD is in the Peso ballpark it's gotten quite popular.

9. neven macrumors 6502a

You might want to tone down your attitude since you're playing catch-up regarding actual facts.

Apple's official explanation is that given the current iPhone design, the 3G chip was too big a drain on the battery. AT&T's 3G network was also not ideal at the time iPhone was launched. They've boosted their EDGE and 3G coverage since last June.

10. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Can we get rid of this condescending European idiot?

11. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

And you buy that?

If a component that's been commonplace for several years in phones from every other manufacturer on the market is too big a power drain, then either the product has a very weak battery, or you're being fed a really poor excuse.

I first heard of 3G back in 1999 when I was doing Flash presentations for Ericsson to be used at trade shows. A couple of years later it was rolled out in Japan, and by 2003 a good number of European countries had 3G networks. After 2005, virtually all phones sold here (Nokia, SonyEricsson, Motorola and what have you) have been 3G phones. It's a tried and true technology. It's not some horrible battery gobbler, you gain maybe 2-3 hours of standby time if you disable it. I recharge my SonyEricsson P1i approx. once every 3 days, just like I did other non-3G phones before it, and the battery in the P1i is about the same size as the iPhone battery. If marginally higher power drain had been a valid reason to omit a feature, Apple has bigger fish to fry, seeing as video playback or high backlight settings kills the iPhone dead 10 times faster than 3G does.

12. g8bo thread starter macrumors member

g8bo

because we're less worth than you? :rolleyes: don't forget the one who's paying billions for your credit crisis...

and how do you even know my IQ that you can put me down as an idiot?

13. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Tell me about it. People would've been wildly complaining about dead batteries after an hour or whatever had 3G been added initially. Other countries didn't get iPhones until months later, so 3G to begin with would've been stupid.

Anuba may want to get his head out of his bum considering Apple is an American company and made the phone primarily for an American audience. Whoopty doo, Europe has 3G. It's a little easier when you aren't trying to cover as much territory. Drop the attitude since there were a few iPhones sold in many countries despite no 3G connection. If you really know as much as you think you do, go get a job in the communications industry.

14. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Can we get rid of everyone who takes any mention of nationality personally? I'm talking about the fact that American carriers are lazy when it comes to rolling out new technology. This has nothing to do with you or any other American private citizen. You, AT&T and Dubya are not a singular entity.

15. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

I second that motion. AT&T has massive plans to extend its 3G network further across America. But other phones have been 3G for awhile now. Dunno why it wasnt included originally, but it certainly seemed to be missed.

16. mrJnC macrumors regular

Actually, AT&T used to be a Cingular entity.

(I'll get my coat now.)

17. neven macrumors 6502a

Video playback and a bright screen were seen as necessities. Indeed, they would've sold few iPhones if they didn't play video or had dull screens.

Lack of 3G has not been a major concern for most users. Everything we've read so far indicates that enabling 3G and using it would reduce battery charge by a few hours. Your example makes no sense - of course it won't affect the battery if you keep the phone on standby and don't actually transfer anything over 3G.

Your attitude is profoundly annoying, and you're not contributing anything other than cheap shots and ignore-the-facts speculation.

18. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

*walks JNC out of the thread*

Also, Anuba, you're neglecting to take into account that the heavy, heavy internet usage of the average iPhone user vs. regular phone/smartphone users means that 3G would, indeed, pose a significant increase battery drain compared to lower-powered EDGE. Just having 3G doesn't make much of a difference, but web surfing and YouTubing on 3G for extended periods could very well slaughter battery life.

19. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

Let's not nation bash here. Back to the argument

Yes, 3G chips have been around. Yes, they do require more power. The real drain on the iPhone is its LCD screen (actually the backlight). Remember few phones have such a large touch sensitive screen and are as think as the iPhone.

For the phone to have such a large screen and small form factor, Apple had to make consession to not include the 3G chip in this go round to help conserve battery power. Of course it made the decision easier since ATT didn't have a large 3G network at the time.

20. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

International sales account for 45% of Apple's revenue. MacOS supports 50 languages. All Apple products except the iPhone have been made available on the same day in the US and the rest of the world. You may not give a crap about the rest of the world, but Apple does -- never more so than now, when overseas revenue is worth more $$$ than ever.

It's easier to cover 3,930,000 square miles (Europe) than 3,794,066 square miles (USA)? If you say so. Personally I think it has more to do with the fact that 712 million people have more cash burning in their pocket than 304 million do.

I've had a job in the communications industry for 12 years now. I could get a second one, but then I'd have way too little spare time and way too much money.

Yes, that's true. I just resent the notion that 3G is a problem and the battery isn't. There's something very off about Apple's approach to problem solving sometimes.

I have this wireless gaming mouse, a Logitech G7. This was the challenge for Logitech: Gamers want extreme precision and no pesky pitstops such as recharging batteries. We have to give them a wireless mouse with all the advantages of a wired mouse. But extreme precision (more data sent from the mouse at tighter intervals) means more power drainage, which means more downtime for recharging which is exactly what we don't want.

Solution: Ship the mouse with two batteries and make the receiver a recharging dock. When the mouse is running out of power, grab the fully recharged battery from the dock. Hit the eject button on the mouse and the drained battery comes flying out. Pop the fresh one in. This procedure takes about 3 seconds and there is no downtime... ever.

Apple could've done exactly the same thing, while including 3G, and there'd never be any downtime so you could watch video on your iPhone 24 hrs a day with max brightness if that's your thing. But no, a flush surface on the back of the phone is way more important. Also it would be 2 mm thicker and that make Steve a saaad Panda because it would deprive him of his quarterly thinness speech. Does that strike you as a company that has its priorities straight?

21. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

Hahaha! Hahahahahaaa....Ahaha.....hah.....hahah... [sigh].... . . hahahahahaha... Oh man... good one! :D

Wellllllll anyway....

[leaves]

22. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Um, yes. That's exactly the reason why. Not to mention that 3G coverage, though its getting better, sucks in the US. A couple miles out of Ann Arbor, hardly the boonies, even EDGE coverage is pretty sparse.

exactly.

Nailed it.

There has never been a 3G phone with such demands on the battery. My iPhone now, granted I'm a heavy user, barely makes it through the day. 3G without dramatic increases in battery capacity will straight kill my iPhone. I'm going to have to travel with an adapter all the time just to make it through work.

23. aristobrat macrumors G4

Wait, what? That sounds completely different from what you said a few days ago. :confused:

24. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

No, it's all the same thing. Apple wants that international cash badly -- hence they make feeble attempts at localizations, they put up iTunes stores in various countries and generally try to convey the notion that they care and that these markets are soooo important. But they secretly wish they could just stuff a big rancid dookie in the international market's fat face, and sometimes it shows, like when they scoffed at 3G and decided that the iPhone would be for American eyes only.

(And let me add that I feel the same about European companies who do the same, such as German car companies who let the Americans drive the old crappy model for 3 years, like when Volkswagen waited until 2006 to introduce the Golf/Rabbit that Europeans had been enjoying since 2003. Show other markets the same respect you show the domestic one).

25. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    Who INVENTED phones(and cars, airplanes, computers...ELECTRICITY)?? Americans ALL....

So could we keep the discussion OFF Race, National Heritage, Religion, or Politics on which nobody agrees anyways?

I think that the old one won't be available anymore (already), and THAT will fuel the 3G unit sales as the App store opens up for the best UI out there!