Whats Faster? iMac 2.0 ghz or Blackbook Refurb 2.2 ghz....Help !!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ipodtouchy333, Apr 5, 2008.

1. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

Hello, I really want to make the switch to mac. I am wondering which is faster...the iMac 2.0ghz or the black macbook refurb 2.2ghz. They both would be about the same price. I don't NEED a laptop right now as I am in high school and will definately get one for college. Most of the stuff I do is just the basics but I do encode DVD's to put on my ipod and then download some movies/stuff. I really appreciate your help in helping me get my first mac. O, and I would probably upgrade the RAM in either one to at least 2gb (not from Apple, don't worry) Thanks again !!!

2. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

The Blackbook.

Both are running Merom, so you can do a direct clock speed comparison. The only thing that may make a difference is the speed of the HDD in the iMac.

But definitely bump up the RAM.

3. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

The difference in processor speed is negligible. You will not notice the difference. I'd recommend you go with the iMac. The faster, larger HD will help a lot, as well, the dedicated graphics card wouldn't be bad either. To tell the truth, you could go with either one and be happy. If you want to win the hearts of the females, you should get a white one, they love them. It all really boils down to which one you want, seeing as they are more or less equally matched.

4. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

As the owner of both a MacBook and an iMac, I would say go for the MacBook. The portability is really awesome, and the speed difference is barely noticeable. It really comes down to what matters most: do you want a extremely portable machine, or would you prefer a large screen? If I could go back to November, I would have purchased a MacBook a long time ago.

5. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

You say you encode DVDs, but do you ever burn them? I have an iMac and Blackbook with the same processor speed and amount of RAM and my iMac rips and burns DVDs quite a bit faster than my Blackbook. I can rip a DVD on my iMac in about half an hour to forty minutes and it takes at least an hour on my Blackbook.