Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
I have a first generation iPad Air running iOS 9, and it runs perfectly fine. It's fast, it has no bugs, and no problems whatsoever. I want to keep it that way.

Should I install iOS 10, or should I stay clear of it if I want to keep enjoying the good performance and responsiveness of my iPad? If iOS 10 is any slower than iOS 9, then I definitely don't want to upgrade.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
iOS 10 (and its technically only beta still and also only 10.0) from my own experience and from what I've read of others is at the very least on par with iOS 9.3.5 performance, but in many cases actually better on a lot of devices. (Personally tested on iPhone 6, 12.9" iPad Pro and iPad 4)

LolTakeri

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2016
It is generally in par with 9.3.4(last I had). There is some lag with the home button,but it generally is great. I recommend you upgrade

JaJaWa

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2013
Hong Kong | London
The newest iOS 10 betas have got Spotlight search working properly on my iPad Air 1 and iPhone 6 Plus for the first time in their lives.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
Thanks everyone for the replies, so it doesn't seem that iOS 10 is slower than iOS 9, that's good news!

Here's a video that tests exactly that:

That's quite impressive, thanks for the video!

Der Keyser

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2016
I'm probably just an old grumpy man, but the speed differences has the biggest impact within critical apps like safari and email. The app launch/home button time - however annoying - does not impact nearly as hard as a 10% increase in webpage loadtime / reply to email and such.
The video does seem to suggest IOS 9 does still hold a small performance advantage within safari/email and other apps.
It's not much, but it's there, so please make sure it's within acceptable limits as there will be no going back.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
I'm probably just an old grumpy man, but the speed differences has the biggest impact within critical apps like safari and email. The app launch/home button time - however annoying - does not impact nearly as hard as a 10% increase in webpage loadtime / reply to email and such.
The video does seem to suggest IOS 9 does still hold a small performance advantage within safari/email and other apps.
It's not much, but it's there, so please make sure it's within acceptable limits as there will be no going back.

Good point, the vast majority of the time I'm browsing web pages, so it sure would suck if it got any slower!

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
I mean you can try iOS 10 now and you're pretty much guaranteed like a 2-3 week window in which you can downgrade back to 9.3.5 at any time. They won't stop signing 9.3.5 until past the public iOS 10 launch.

Reactions: BulkSlash
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.