What's going on in America right now?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Dagless, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

2. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Awful. And definitely part of the problem.

5. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Rise? You are very naive if you think that racism has risen. Racism has always been here. Of course racism ain't white, it doesn't wear any color or nationality. I had my dose of cracker and heard a good does of n-. I had my dose of "go back to Mexico" etc. (weirdly enough the Italian accent is quite different than the Spanish accent...)
    This week all the various racists, of many races and political creeds, found an excuse to vent their anger.

6. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

Right now... it has always been. There isn't a rise there is just visibility at what has always been.

7. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I should have mentioned I'm also including the UK in this, they saw a rise in hatecrime since the EU vote. I know its always been there but there's certainly more visibility now.

Is there a way of tracking the recorded crime figures for the US like you can in the UK?

8. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

https://ucr.fbi.gov/

I think you want the hate crime link

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

You know what, there are lots of people being beaten in this country for multiple reasons. How about looking at the big picture for a change?

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I've seen a lot of stuff on social media, my guess is the same liberals who were getting paid to incite violence are now bored and manufacturing racism by posting stupid stuff with Trumps name on it.

11. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Maybe stop Liberals and Democrats from social engineering of our society. Obama, as the first black president, was supposed to heal the racial divide in America, instead he's helped widen it until:

Shocking video out of Chicago shows a mob of young black men viciously beating an older white man because he voted for Donald Trump, dragging him through the streets as he hangs out of the back of his car.
    and:

Graffiti that reads "kill white people" and "black lives matter" has angered residents in Florida's Hillsborough County after protesters left the message at two seperate locations. Police were investigating this week the graffiti markings found in Brandon, a small community near Tampa in central Florida, according to media reports.​

And so:

[​IMG]

12. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

13. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

14. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Pools are more dangerous than guns - http://scienceblogs.com/deltoid/2001/07/27/levittpoolsvsguns/
    --- Post Merged, Nov 12, 2016 ---
    Good the police are investigating these things.

16. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

17. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

Here's the thing - racism has existed for a very long time. A part of the problem is the media. They choose to ignore, or not highlight, all the racism that exists, unless it benefits them. There hasn't been a rise in racism since Trump was elected, there has been a rise in the media / social media reporting racism. Why is that? It's hard to say. Trump's campaign is a contributing factor though. However, I don't think it's correct to blame him for this. Racism has existed before Trump's campaign and election.

The problem that I see is that people are going to blame Trump for everything and that's not going to heal the divide. Some dirty white ****ers shouting to a black woman "Grab her by the *****" are of course quoting Trump, but it's not Trump who is saying it or telling them to do it. He's held partly responsible for once saying it, but it's up to the individual to repeat that KNOWING THAT IT IS A DISGUSTING AND RACIST THING TO SAY. Racism doesn't start at the presidential level, it starts at the common level. If the media or the people blame Trump for it, it's a poor call of judgment and you're widening the range of influence.

Racism needs to be attacked back to show how disgusting it is, but racism isn't particularly from the white race to the other races. It exists in every way or form. Every single colored race out there (white is a color, so it's included) has someone that shows disgusting towards another colored race, be it white on black, brown on white, black on brown, brown on black, black on white, etc.

I do support the idea that Trump needs to come out and settle this once and for all, but only because his campaign highlighted these things. The media needs to work together to denounce racism and not push the blame towards any authoritative figure, because the responsibility is strictly upon the individuals.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So you want the media to say "you can't say that" and sneer down at people with different views?

It's difficult. I'm sure I've failed to get the balance right.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 12, 2016 ---
    The guardian was asking on November 9th whether there had been an increase. It was far too soon for it to be meaningful.

19. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Mainstream America now has the mentality of two streets gangs in conflict.

This message was approved by Donald J Trump.

MAKING AMERICA HATE AGAIN.

20. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

I don't think I implied that, but if I did, that was not the intention.

The media's responsibility is to the continuously highlight that racism still exists. We can't fight racism if we think that it's diminishing or slowly dying, nor if we believe that racism exists in one form only (for example solely White on Black racism). It's been very long since I've had anyone come up to me and say something racist, and because of that, a part of me might start thinking that race divide might be slowly healing itself because I haven't experienced it yet. It's not true of course. How they do it is the tricky part, since they would need to balance anything out, without implying that X race is more racist, because that puts a blame on an entire race, when we know that it's only individuals that matter.

Think about it like the flu. Let's say that you have the flu, you recognize the symptoms and begin to take medicine. Let's say the next day you feel a tiny bit better, so you think the medicine has worked and you stop taking it. Since the virus hasn't been fully removed, it's going to come back. If you continue doing what you've been doing - ie. take medicine until you feel a tiny bit better and then stop taking it - it'll take a long time to heal.

Combating racism is very difficult, and I think the only solution would be for people to accept each other. Peaceful organizations could be a starting point to build awareness. Not something with violent intents or strictly one-sided intents like BLM, though.

21. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Racism has always been around in American society. Führer Donald simply made it fashionable.