What's going on with Rupert Murdoch?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Tomorrow, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

First, I came across this story yesterday:

Now today I saw this one:

Is News Corp. really that hurting for cash right now? The way I see it, this is going to alienate a lot of customers.

2. Surely Guest

Surely

Good. Then maybe more people will turn to proper sources for their news, instead of Fox's hatred/fear inciting crap.

3. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

I couldn't be happier that News Corp is doing this. They can't paint themselves into a corner of irrelevancy fast enough, as far as I'm concerned.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Lisa Simpsons explaining the relationship between Fox News and Fox Broadcasting is one of the best scenes of the Simpsons ever.

This netbook keyboard is not easy to type on...argh

5. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I suppose "sudden obsession with tapdancing on the freeway" was too much to hope for, but putting foxnews.com behind a paywall is not an entirely bad consolation gift.

6. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

There is so much more to News Corporation than Fox (News).

They operate the biggest subscription TV network in the UK (and virtually have a monopoly on satellite TV), have a variety of websites which already charge subscription fees (IGN.com and Gamespy.com being the two that immediately spring to mind) and also have a dominant position in the UK newspaper market.

In fact, their tabloid The Sun is the most popular English language daily newspaper in the world and their broadsheet The Times is very well respected in the UK and around the world.

7. Surely Guest

Surely

^^^^^ I know that. What's your point?

That doesn't make Fox "News" any less dangerous.

8. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The topic is about News Corporation, your post mentioned only FOX.

And on a personal note, I quite enjoy watching Fox News. Their shows are entertaining and they are presented in a unique way. I don't think they'd get anywhere close to the viewers they do now if they just kept it like the rest of the liberal media in the USA - where's the fun in that?

9. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

This may alienate a few people, but Fox News is still leading in the cable news segment by what 2 million viewers? This isn't going to make people go watch trash TV like CNN or MSNBC.

As for the DVD's I have no problem with that. They have a right to fight rental companies, IMO.

Newscorp is not dangerous at all. The likes of NBC Universal and the Turner Broadcasting System are dangerous.

Don

10. Surely Guest

Surely

^^^^ Dmac77, the reason for that is that there are a lot of ignorant people in America. Fox "News" is great on manipulating people using fear and hatred.

News isn't supposed to be entertaining. It's supposed to inform the viewer in an unbiased way. If they want to give their opinion that's fine, but they should at least state that it's opinion. They don't- they pretend it's fact.

11. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Right, and MSNBC and CNN are unbiased. Everyone on those networks practically got down to kiss Obama's shoes during the campaign.

Don

12. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

In the UK we have a state broadcaster and there are countless standards they have to abide by when broadcasting news to make sure it is fair and balanced and all the rest. As far as I'm aware though, there isn't anything like this in the USA - Fox News can present the news in whatever way it likes because it is a commercial enterprise.

No one is forcing you to watch it but likewise, no one is forcing anyone else to watch it either. They have the numbers they do because they are doing something right.

13. Surely Guest

Surely

^^^^ Agreed. There should be standards set in the US. Yes, they are doing something right- they are entertaining and they are controversial. So people watch. Doesn't make it right.

Oh, and the best part is that their catch-phrase is "Fair and Balanced." Just because you say that you are something doesn't mean it's true.

Where did I mention CNN or MSNBC exactly?

14. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Then where exactly do you get your news? Please don't say the Huffington Post or something like that.

I trust Fox, and there aren't many other news outlets that I do trust.

Don

15. Surely Guest

Surely

I've never read the Huffington Post.

Just because I think that Fox News is disgusting (and is extreme right) doesn't mean I'm some an extremist on the left.

I live in this magical place called the Center, where logic and reason exist.

I get my news from all over the place. Different sources. I don't trust any one source, so I read everything and cut through the BS.

I think it's sad that you put your trust into one source- especially with so many options available. What makes you trust them so much? They are such fear-mongers and are so clearly biased to the right. How can you trust something that is so obvious in its agenda?

16. MTI macrumors 65816

I suppose there's at least one page of "News of the World" that some might pay for? ;)

Since there are scant details about the "pay for play" access to Murdoch's information domain . . . it's difficult to say if it's a good or bad thing. There's certainly speculation that it won't be 100% a subscription service and that some content will remain gratis . . . like a brief or summary page, with the deeper content, particularly for the WSJ articles, as part of the pay for view.

More interesting will be the reaction of the advertisers on the sites when the count of the number of web eyeballs drops.

17. szark macrumors 68030

szark

And now we have this story:

Murdoch's ultimatum to Amazon: Give us Kindle subscriber names or else

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

They say fair and balanced because they allow both sides to talk on the issues during the shows, they have democrat congressmen on all the time. If you paid attention to any of the actual newscasts besides bill o'reilly or beck you would know that.

I also believe they were rated the least biased during the campaign out of the popular news stations.

19. Tomorrow thread starter macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Really? Coz I don't feel hatred or fear from getting my news from them. Although I'll probably stick to getting it from TV, since they won't charge me for that.

20. Shivetya macrumors 65816

After all they got tired of CNN's hatred/fear crap ... so why not Fox next.

21. MTI macrumors 65816

What major news organizatons, network or cable, doesn't do that?

I recall seeing the reports making those claims, however I do recall noting that the impression of whether one network was positive or negative for a particular candidate also included the campaign situations where McCain/Palin started going "negative" . . . which was covered by the so-called "liberal" media at CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC . . . but wasn't covered as such at FNC.

None of the networks (or other media outlets) have ever been "fair & balanced" since they have to pander to a commercial driven audience. Perhaps that's the only truth we should be aware of.

22. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

23. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Just so we are aware why they say "fair and balanced", they even bring it up when they bring democrats on the show. Not everyone on fox news is a crazy bastard like Beck.

24. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Politics aside I'll be curious to see how this unfolds. Between the overall world economy, slumping 'old media' ad sales, sucktacular 'new media' ad sales and the current resistance for consumers to pay for media/information on the internet the though times are only beginning for content creators.

Lethal

25. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Poor ol' Rupert is just p*ssed that Google is getting rich from his content.

It's a classic case of cutting off ones noise to spite ones face. (Not that I'll shed too many tears for Murdoch and sh*tty little empire.)