whats going to happen to the people that jailbroke the iphone when 2.1 comes out?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vegan TJ, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Vegan TJ macrumors regular

Vegan TJ

including me i just jailbroke my iphone yesterday and am wondering whats going to happen when the new firmware comes out ?

2. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

They will wait until 2.1 is jailbroken, which I doubt would take long.

3. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

You should wait until the pwnage tool or ziphone or what ever you used is updated to handle the 2.1 jailbreak and then do the upgrade and jailbreak again.

4. Vegan TJ thread starter macrumors regular

Vegan TJ

5. poolish macrumors regular

well here you can see the 1g iphone is fine on the 2.1 beta software, so im guessing by the time 2.1 is out, the 3g will be fine too if it isnt already

or the jailbreak works for 2.1 already.. is that what theyr saying, duno

6. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

cant you just restore to official 2.0 then go on to 2.1?????

7. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

LOL@you I'm stayingofficial so all I have to do is click update!!

8. mappyman macrumors regular

Yep simple two clicks!

9. spinstorm macrumors 68000

Good news and bad news!

Good news is that 2.1 and all future updates to the iPhone are jailbreakable (and unlockable on the original iPhone) unless Apple changes the hardware.

They didn't on the iPhone 3G and so that is jailbreaked with the same method.

As the previous poster said 2.1 beta is already jailbreaked by the devteam.

Obviously you do have to wait for an update to pwnagetool to be released before you can update if you want to stay jailbreaked...although there is no reason why you can't update officially then just jailbreak afterwards.

Now the bad news!

If you decide to jailbreak 2.1 you will have to RESTORE in order to make sure everything is working perfectly.

There is nothing stopping you clicking on update and selecting the custom firmware 2.1 but the jailbreaked settings in previous jailbreaks and updates have caused issues as they conflicted - likewise you can't restore from backup as you will likely get random problems with the iPhone.

By that I mean it may lock up it may crash - jailbreaked apps may not work properly - etc. It can be fixed by a restore and setting up the phone as new.

It is not a big deal except you will lose all your data.. and have to resync music etc.

Let me be clear here - you can update and restore from backup - but the chances are it will NOT work properly.

It may be fine for some but if you decide to restore from backup or update direct to 2.1 custom remember that you will almost certainly get problems and have to do a fresh restore.

It has been like that with every jailbreak and firmware update!

10. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Your iPhone will implode.

11. Vegan TJ thread starter macrumors regular

Vegan TJ

so are you suggesting that i update to apples 2.1 then jailbreak would that be more safe?

12. Vegan TJ thread starter macrumors regular

Vegan TJ

oh and i have mobile me. soo all my contacts sync and email and book marks so thats nice

13. jt2ga65 macrumors regular

Not sure what you are basing this on... I haven't bothered to jailbreak my 2.0 firmware, but for the past year, I've been running on a jailbroken iPhone without any problems at all. I stopped updating at 1.2, as I saw no reason to update after that, until 2.0 came out. Each version was jailbroken, and had custom apps, some of which I miss now.

Worse case, if everything goes bad, you just restore to factory code, and you have a fresh phone. Only data you are likely to loose is teh data from jailbroken applications. Your email, contacts, bookmarks, photos, text messages, etc are all backed up to iTunes, and will be restored.

-jt2