What's in a name… UK's naughtiest names.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by arkitect, Sep 8, 2009.

1. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Chardonnay? Who the hell calls their child Chardonnay?
    :confused: I can only imagine how disruptive I'd be if my parents named me Cabernet or Zinfandel… :p

Link

2. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Oh, naughty as in mischevious. Gotcha.

Anyways, Collum sounds like the kid would be a trouble maker; Jack too.

Casey? Hmm...doesnt sound like a trouble maker.

3. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

How many chardonnay's could there be? I've never heard that name in my life?

That list is so true, any of my friends with the names on the list are pretty bad. But then again I don't hang out with the best kids in the world, haha

4. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

With a name like Crystal, it's not hard to see through them.

5. Vogue Harper macrumors 6502

Vogue Harper

Chardonnay is probably after the fictional character in a UK TV series called 'Footballers' Wives' played by Susie Amy (one of the eponymous footballers' wives who was a glamour model). By way of example of how sophisticated the show was, the storyline for Chardonnay's character had a jealous love rival set fire to Chardonnay's breasts in one episode.

I saw this list too and I cannot help but think it is a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy. The only people likely to even think it sensible to let alone actually naming their off-spring 'Chardonnay' are the brain dead teenage parent chav cretins which that show largely appealed to. Said brain dead teenage parent chav cretins are probably less likely to care or be able to do anything about Chardonnay being tearaways (as they are probably drunk, incarcerated or both). And then there's the perception issue - teachers will probably recall the character from the show and associate Chardonnay with bad behaviour in light of the lack of good women called Chardonnay to otherwise associate with.

And as little Chardonnay gets older, I can picture it now... "My name is Chardonnay and I am an alcoholic..."

Of course, no offence to anyone who has called their children Chardonnay, as with all generalisations, there are bound to be exceptions that prove the rule and I look forward to a day when Chardonnays will be amongst our leaders and captains of industry.

6. Love macrumors 68000

Love

I laughed. Hard.

7. ozziememz macrumors newbie

8. Queso macrumors G4

I'm not sure why Jack is in there. Aren't half the male under-10s in Britain called Jack these days?

9. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

A part of the self fulfilling prophecy is that children will behave as people expect them to. If a teacher expects children with certain names to behave and perform in certain ways, the child will respond accordingly. This isn't applicable to just children, but throughout life.

10. Vogue Harper macrumors 6502

Vogue Harper

Indeed. All that list really succeeds in highlighting is a class issue. The middle and upper classes will always go for conservative 'posh' names like Christopher, Simon, David, Phillip, Jeremy, Sophie, Charlotte, Susan, Katherine etc. Why? Because in the same way that the brain dead teenage parent chav cretins I referred to in my earlier post are singularly lacking the intelligence required to understand the 'name politics' you illustrate, the middle and upper classes are intelligent enough to completely understand it and name their off-spring accordingly.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Usually, children named Bubba are large and white. Otherwise, I'm skeptical about this whole idea. :p

12. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

:rolleyes:What about Bubba in Forrest Gump, he was neither white nor large...:rolleyes:

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

But that was the whole joke! :D