Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone 12 Pro What's involved in activating a phone?

Gator5000e

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2018
I ordered a T-Mobile iPhone 12 Pro that I am picking up at 6PM tonight. I usually just get an unlocked phone and swap out the SIM cards. But the Apple rep I spoke to said it would be a good idea to get the T-Mo phone as if will come with an up to date SIM as opposed to using the SIM from my X.

So what is involved in activating the new phone? Is this something i can do myself or will it be easier/faster for the Apple store rep to do it for me? I know how to set up a phone but not sure on activation.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

s2mike

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2015
I’ve got the same question.

I’ve been on T-Mobile for several years now, and have been on the Apple Upgrade Program from day one.

However, last two iPhones that I ordered from Apple (through T-Mobile with the Upgrade Program) required me to take the SIM card from my old iPhone and place it into the new iPhone in order to get service.

When I pick up my iPhone 12 mini this Friday, I want to use the SIM card that comes with the iPhone 12 and not worry about removing the SIM from my old phone.

How is the activation process supposed to work? Does my new iPhone automatically activate the SIM card that it comes with once I boot up the phone and login to my iCloud account?

Comment

Joho2078

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2019
I’ve got the same question.

I’ve been on T-Mobile for several years now, and have been on the Apple Upgrade Program from day one.

However, last two iPhones that I ordered from Apple (through T-Mobile with the Upgrade Program) required me to take the SIM card from my old iPhone and place it into the new iPhone in order to get service.

When I pick up my iPhone 12 mini this Friday, I want to use the SIM card that comes with the iPhone 12 and not worry about removing the SIM from my old phone.

How is the activation process supposed to work? Does my new iPhone automatically activate the SIM card that it comes with once I boot up the phone and login to my iCloud account?
Why not use the old sim? I also think if you put your iphones close to each other during the whole process it will transfer etc everything over. I may be wrong

Comment

s2mike

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2015
Why not use the old sim? I also think if you put your iphones close to each other during the whole process it will transfer etc everything over. I may be wrong
I don’t want to use my old SIM because, at this point, it’s the SIM card that came with my iPhone X or XS. I want to use the SIM that comes with my iPhone 12 to ensure that it’s optimized for 5G and whatnot.

I will not be transferring any data from my old phone to my new one. I’ll be picking up my 12 mini, in person, at an Apple store and leaving my iPhone 11 Pro there as part of the trade-in. I’ll then set up my iPhone 12 mini as a brand new phone once I get home.

Comment

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach
I don’t want to use my old SIM because, at this point, it’s the SIM card that came with my iPhone X or XS. I want to use the SIM that comes with my iPhone 12 to ensure that it’s optimized for 5G and whatnot.

I will not be transferring any data from my old phone to my new one. I’ll be picking up my 12 mini, in person, at an Apple store and leaving my iPhone 11 Pro there as part of the trade-in. I’ll then set up my iPhone 12 mini as a brand new phone once I get home.

Have a look here to start: Setup a new T-Mobile phone

Comment

lordhamster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
The Sim that came with your X may not support 5G so it is a good idea to use the new one. It has been a long time since I bought a "carrier" phone vs sim free, but if I recall, it will come with instructions. I think as soon as you go through the setup, they'll deactivate your old sim and activate the new one automatically. Don't worry about it, it should go very smooth. Worst case scenario, run to a T-Mo store if activation fails and have them just give you a new sim.

Reactions: s2mike
Comment

majus

Contributor
Mar 25, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
AT&T process was simple. After I transferred data, I went to the order page link provided in the original email, clicked on the Activate link and that was basically it. Very efficient, IMO. All that remains is to turn in my old phone.

Comment

Supermallet

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2014
IIRC the phone activation is part of the setup when you set the phone up with a new SIM card inserted.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.