What's left to be the big feature in iOS 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JMC08, Nov 6, 2011.

1. JMC08 macrumors regular

The only thing I can think of that would be as big as the notification center and multitasking is background downloading/updating. What else can they do?

2. ap3604, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  3. CaliforniaKing macrumors member

No one cares about that, there's enough free turn by turn apps. Most people don't would rather purchase a standalone gps system. I think the big iOS 6 feature will be Flash, or a innovative new keyboard design.

4. ap3604 macrumors 68000

5. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

Is there a free app that includes maps?

I think it'd be a good feature to include especially now that you have Siri

6. Lone Wolf macrumors member

7. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

What's left?

Someone hasn't been on the web much.

It's the "A6 Project" which includes far more than just a faster more robust chipset. It's the A series chip that is most likely to show up in MBA's and others. There's been a tremendous amount of rumors and stories about it. If you could gain access to the labs at Apple you'll find a lot of activity around this project. It's already in development. One that is going to prove the iPhone 4S was just a bridge to this next major upgrade.

Lately each year there's a lot of buzz around some gimmick that Apple passes off as "this changes everything".. yeah right.

Last year it was "Face Time", now you don't see hardly anything about it here in the forums. If we aren't using it, the mainstream is not either. It's too complicated for the average iPhone user. That's the arguement used against Android by the fanboys.

This years "Big Deal" is Siri, once the honeymoon is over, there's a great possibility it will be as unimpressive and underused as Face Time.

I will give Apple a lot of credit for coming up with clever attracting names for their tech stuff to make it seem oh so special.

Thunderbolt
    Mission Control
    Launch Pad

Oh please, stop with the cutesy names.

Look at how many years Apple had conned it's customers into thinking that "Airport" was something far more special than plain old WiFi.

Well you see that Apple finally caved in and renamed it WiFi so people would know that at least Apple chooses to use some industry standards instead of hocus pocus.

"Look Ma" my new Apple computer has "Launch Control"... Woooot!

That's what's left :)

8. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

[​IMG]

9. ap3604 macrumors 68000

So I take it your not a fan of "RETINA DISPLAY"? ;)

THIS... Jesus christ what the hell were they thinking taking this out of the Att version? :confused:

10. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

I agree about your other examples, but I think Siri is going to be as big a deal as Ron Burgundy.

[​IMG]

11. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Actually, the 3G switch is gone from all 4S models because the baseband chip doesn't support selectively disabling 3G. It wouldn't provide much benefit towards power saving with the new chip.

12. Beauborg macrumors newbie

How about widgets?

13. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

It'd be cool if Apps could download updates automatically, But then again that's not a big feature.
    Hmmmm...

14. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

15. ap3604 macrumors 68000

They should have forced the new A5 chip to do this. As new generations of products are released you should only be adding to the already current list of features... not taking away from them.

It would be like if they brought out the 4S and said "Oh hey.... you know what? We took out the ability to copy/paste. Um... the processor couldn't handle it..." ;)

Plus it would DEF save on battery life. 8 hours of talk time on 3G vs 14 hours on 2G/Edge...

16. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

You DO realize that the iPhone is an apple product right? The biggest gap between the android platform and iOS is the lack of turn by turn imo. Show me ONE free turn-by-turn app that's as good as Google Nav, and I'll eat a moldy banana.

FLash? Really?

Keyboard design? If you are talking about an on-screen design, sure, but if you a talking about a physical keyboard... I'm afraid you need to step away form the reefer.

17. cmeisenzahl macrumors 6502

Android emulation in a VM? :D

18. Tulipo macrumors member

Never used google nav but, in my experience, Waze is pretty good on the iPhone. Have you tried it? I've used others with limited success. Mapquest is just ok but voice kind of sucks on it and it is slow to redirect.

19. NoHo macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Everyone cares about that. If you don't drive yet, maybe not, but most people care.

20. julianbdavis macrumors member

julianbdavis

The majority of the people in the world don't own their own cars, especially in the city, and don't do a lot of driving. Lots of people would like it, but far from "everyone".

21. JMC08 thread starter macrumors regular

I was talking more about updates from within the app after it has been downloaded. Like when push notifications are used, the info mentioned is ready to go right away....no waiting a few seconds for your info to load. It seems like a logical extension from the original multitasking, but when I think about it I think they will wait a few more years to implement this. It's too big of a feature.

They could always go the route of the 3.0 iOS update, and throw in 5 or 6 'medium' upgrades. I'm leaning towards this for my prediction.

22. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

-A good YouTube app that actually allows almost full functionality (like the Android YouTube app)

-more than 12 apps in a folder

-3rd party widgets. Either in the notification center, or on the home screen

-quick access to settings (brightness, ect.)

-somewhere to store NORMAL FILES. Android's had this forever. We NEED this in order for this to be a full desktop replacement. This doesn't mean we'd need access to the full file-system, but we atleast need a little area to store files.

-better tab managing on Safari on the iPhone. Either a small tab-bar, or a list view kinda like Android, just more elegantly.

-folders in the Notes application. Or maybe they could take it a step further and allow picture attachments too. They could pretty much relocate Evernote for a lot of people with that.

-the ability to attach stuff to an email while in the Mail app. Sounds like a "no, duh!" feature, right? Apparently not to Apple

-REAL doc syncing with the iCloud. Right now only your iDevices actually "sync" together. What the heck? What's more important is syncing your computer to your iDevices.

23. Sensamic macrumors 68030

Possible new stuff:

- New Maps from Apple itself.
    - New UI with radical changes or little ones.
    - Thunderbolt instead of USB connections.
    - Real multitasking.
    - Better integration with Lion somehow.
    - More social integration in contacts and/or the OS with Facebook and such.
    - Better Siri.

There are already widgets on iOS 5, or at least thats how Apple believes widgets should be on iOS, so dont expect new type of widgets any time soon.

24. JMC08 thread starter macrumors regular

From the responses, it looks like we can only think of two 'big' features to include: Apple Maps and real multitasking/updates in the background. It should be really interesting to see where the operating system is in about 3 more iterations.