What's like to work in these Cities/Areas in the USA?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MorphingDragon, Jan 15, 2014.

1. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

I've been looking for software engineering jobs in the USA and noticed that most places available to overseas applicants seem to fall into a handful of areas. I'm just wondering what it's actually like to live and work in these areas? I've been to some as part of a holiday but that doesn't really give a proper impression.

The places I'm wondering about are:
    Chicago, IL
    Silicon Valley
    Westford/Lowell/This General Area, MA
    Seattle, WA
    Raleigh, NC
    Manhattan, NY (All I know is that its reaaaally expensive to live here. )

I'm not too worried about the sizes of the cities, coming from NZ any city will be a massive change from even just Auckland.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

All of those cities are going to be expensive to live in, perhaps with the exception of Raleigh.

3. MorphingDragon thread starter macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Everywhere is becoming expensive to live in.

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I am surprised you didn't list Los Angeles?

Manhattan is going to be very expensive to live in, however if you can live outside of it and always take the train. The public system that is in NY is outstanding. So there is no need for a car or car insurance etc.

5. snberk103 macrumors 603

Don't forget to look a little north to Canada too. Ottawa is also a high-tech city, as it Waterloo. Both in Ontario. Calgary is a boom city right now with oil money, and Toronto is not doing badly at all. While I have a huge soft spot for Vancouver (one of the most livable cities in the world) you are coming from a place not too different than the BC west coast, so not much of a change. If you are in Ontario most of the US cities on the east coast are close by.

6. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

If you're looking at Manhattan, look at rents in Jersey City and Hoboken...much cheaper.

7. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Chicago is an absolute blast to live in (city proper, anyway). It is known somewhat for violence, but the violence is localized in areas I wouldn't suggest you live. The north side is fantastic.

----------

Same for Chicago. However, it depends where you intend on working. If you work in the city and live in the city, Chicago would be amazing, but if you work in the suburbs and want to live in the city, Chicago is quite a chore.

8. jdechko macrumors 68040

Hope you don't mind rainy days. ;)

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Silicon Valley has much better weather but good luck paying thru the nose to live in a crappy condo.

10. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

If I were you I'd take a look at a city-data.com forums. They have forum sections specific to all of these cities and you can do some major research there.

I've lived relatively near Westford/Lowell areas in MA. Both of these are a complete hell hole, especially Lowell. They're about an hour drive from Boston and I never ever want to live in that area again. If you have to live in MA try Waltham. It's in the center of everything - not far away from Boston proper, right on the I-95 tech corridor and most I-495 jobs are a drive away. Some of its parts are relatively inexpensive too. I have a bunch of friends that lived or still live there and if I was to ever move to that God-forsaken state (I hate MA with a passion) I'd pick either Waltham, Watertown (that's right next to it) or Somerville (whole 'nother story).

As for Silicon Valley - good place to be at but extremely expensive. Certain parts make Manhattan look tame, especially Palo Alto and parts of San Francisco proper.

11. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

I live within an hour from NYC, and used to work down in Manhattan, NYC is a total blast to live in, tons of culture, great food, the people are rather nice, and housing is cheap if your willing to take the train for a little bit every day. However living IN downtown NYC is totally insane expensive, but worth it. I actually plan on eventually getting a 2nd place close to the city, would save me lots of traffic every time I have to go down to NYC.

As far as Chicago goes, Chicago is the same way. I've never lived in it for more than a few months at a time, but its just like NYC, expensive to live in. But totally worth it.

12. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

It rains less in Seattle than a lot of other cities actually. Summers there are beautiful..

Traffic is bad. The COL is high but so is the pay. It's a great city. I grew up there.

Very liberal city so if you're of the staunch conservative line it might not be a great place to live and work.

13. MorphingDragon thread starter macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Not a lot of places listing in LA that don't already require you to have a visa.

It's a pain in most places. I can't work for Intel/AMD as they already want you to have a visa for the US.

14. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

You would be better off living in the west parts of Queens and Brooklyn. I live in the west part of Queens and it's only a 10 to 20 minute drive to Midtown and Lower Manhattan. Takes me the same time to drive to most of west parts of Brooklyn. Tons of people are relocating from Manhattan into west Brooklyn and west Queens. Basically anywhere that's not too far from the east river. By Subway(train) travel would be around 30min to get to Midtown and Lower Manhattan. If you live right off the river the ride would be even shorter, but places right off the river are just as expensive as Manhattan. Sometimes even more cause of the views.

Personally, I could never live in Manhattan. It's just too damn busy, bright, and full of taxis 24/7. Great place to shop, go out with friends, on a date, and etc: but it's too non stop for my taste.

Weather is unpredictable in NYC. You can have a mild winter (40s and up) one year, then the next year have a freezing blizzard prone winter. Same thing with summer, one year it might rain the majority of the summer, the next year it might barely rain at all.

15. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Drive?

DRIVE?!?!

:eek:

Why would you do that to yourself?:p

16. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Ride the Subways for a couple of months, then ask me that. :p

If I lived in Manhattan, I would probably just keep my motorbike and sell my car. Maybe just rent a car when I need. But for all the other boros, driving beats any public transportation.

17. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Far cleaner than BART ;)

18. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I only took the BART several times so I really can't judge it much. But it did seem much cleaner than NY subways. It also depends what lines you take on both.

19. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Feces, urine, lice...

Anyway, ummm, to the OP, out here you'll find earthquakes, merriment, utterly bat **** insane cost of living, superlative weather, stunning landscapes, exquisite wine, food, produce, coffee, traffic.

20. MorphingDragon thread starter macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

I became an aggressive driver just by looking at people in CA drive.

21. CEmajr macrumors 601

Raleigh is probably the most affordable area to live in from that list. Also the smallest. Metro area is around 1.5 million I believe.

22. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Good. You want to keep some of your money. That won't happen in LA. I love Raleigh. It's like little Austin.

23. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

How about "Hope you don't mind cloudy days" instead? ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle

Granted, summers are beautiful, as they are in Vancouver, BC.