What's my new 27" monitor?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by reardoma, Sep 26, 2013.

1. reardoma, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013

reardoma macrumors member

Hi all, just thought i'd come to the community for some buying advice, I apologize if this isn't the most appropriate forum for this question but.....

I currently have an 2012 27" iMac at work and a 2012 13" MBA as my portable.... my typical scenario is working on the MBA at home, either taking it to work or using cloud services to sync across my devices.

So I'm looking for a 27" monitor to put on my desk at home, and would like to use it with my 2012 13" MBA.

Here are the requirements i'd like the 27" monitor to have....
    - 27" inches
    - 2560 x 1440 resolution
    - Glossy Screen
    - HDMI + DVI
    - Use the monitor for xbox gaming - COD perhaps...
    - use the monitor for work hooked up to my 2012 13" MBA

The problem is i'm just coming out of the mindset that i have only a few choices (apple display, dell monitors, etc) and that with all the Korean monitors i see popping up these days I have no idea what my choices are....but i think compared to the $799/$999 price tags of apple/dell monitors i can save a few hundred bucks!!

So what's the best monitor for my needs at the best price possible? I know the "deal" 27" monitors on slickdeals are typically not glossy and do not have HDMI, so those are out but the models from the same brands that retail for $100 more and have those feature are in...so...

what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your kind words, any specs i need to provide or additional questions just post and i'll respond, thanks!!

2. COrocket macrumors 6502

You can find the dell monitors for around $600 on amazon, which is what I would do personally. http://www.amazon.com/Dell-U2713HM-...1380241266&sr=8-3&keywords=dell+27+ultrasharp The only thing missing from your wishlist is a glossy coating. I know some people who have had success with the $400 korean monitors but if it ever breaks the warranty service may be questionable and costly to return.

Also, I'd look for a monitor with Displayport, since the adapters from mini displayport (Thunderbolt) to Dual-Link DVI are around $100. If you find a monitor with displayport input, then a mini displayport to full size display port cables are very cheap.

3. clockdoors macrumors newbie

right,then a mini displayport to full size display port cables are very cheap.
    [​IMG]

4. reardoma thread starter macrumors member

Ok let's throw out anything over $500.

I'm ok with the Korean warranties and dead pixel policies, i'll take my chances that i'm not the 5% that gets an unacceptable monitor.

Now that i make that warranty sacrifice, can we get the price down to something between $400-$500?

If you have any recommendations please provide a link, thanks!!

Cheers and thanks for the help thus far!

5. reardoma thread starter macrumors member

6. reardoma thread starter macrumors member