Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

What's New in iOS 14 Beta 7: Dark Mode Rainbow Wallpapers, App Library Tweaks

jakeniemeyer

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2019
Of course you know Apple has not used that color scheme in their logo for 30 years.

You would just think that for the richest company in the world, with thousands of employees, they could come it with more variety and innovative wall paper. The rainbow ones all pretty much look alike, not much diversity there.

How about some that support cancer, or alzheimers... could be some cool image of brain cells. It just feels that Apple supports one thing. I could think of a bunch of marginalized groups or causes, or just interesting designs. Lets face it, what we think or may not think the rainbow wall paper stands for, it's kind of a boring design.

I don’t think a hardware company needs to spend too much time making wallpapers. I feel like everyone is spending way too much time complaining about a design that has the dual significance of company history and representation for a marginalised group.

Why do they need to show visual support for diseases to support people who were born the way they were born? Are you suggesting LGBTQ+ people are diseased? Do you have other requirements before Apple dares show more support for the LGBTQ+ community? What is the full list of things they should have to do before you stop taking issue with a quick rainbow graphic that they don’t force you to use?

Comment

Smigit

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2011
it's imperative to have the ability to hide an app from view. For anyone who had a separate page or folder, with apps hidden in it, now a person can just flick for the app library and see a full list. Very counter intuitive for privacy.
That’s why your phone has a lock screen and pin or biometrics to unlock it. Nesting apps into a folder isn’t a privacy measure, it’s just for sorting things. Might be a nice thing to have, but far from being imperative.

Comment

NJFP

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2009
Rainbows, app library, dark mode......BAH!! I'm just happy that I can make a blank home screen again!!!!
For me, B6 seemed to be a battery suck. Lets see how B7 does. Of course I'm on an 8+ and the battery life indicator says it's operating at 83% capacity, soooo................

Comment

Unregistered 4U

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2002
That’s why your phone has a lock screen and pin or biometrics to unlock it. Nesting apps into a folder isn’t a privacy measure, it’s just for sorting things. Might be a nice thing to have, but far from being imperative.
I think I can KINDA follow this? You’re a person that has private (or embarrassing?) stuff on your phone, buuut, perhaps someone that others don’t EXPECT to have private stuff on their phone. Such that, in a group of friends, say, everyone knows YOU’RE the one everyone can count on letting folks use your phone. BUT, you DO actually have stuff that you rather not let other folks see on your phone. So, you want to maintain the illusion of being “that person with no private stuff” while still having “private stuff”? Maybe?

But, I agree, the best way for folks to NOT see what’s on your phone is to NOT let them see what’s on your phone.

Comment

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Rainbows, app library, dark mode......BAH!! I'm just happy that I can make a blank home screen again!!!!
For me, B6 seemed to be a battery suck. Lets see how B7 does. Of course I'm on an 8+ and the battery life indicator says it's operating at 83% capacity, soooo................
I don’t believe you can have a blank home screen anymore.

Comment

PrecisionGem

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2019
Maryland
I don’t think a hardware company needs to spend too much time making wallpapers. I feel like everyone is spending way too much time complaining about a design that has the dual significance of company history and representation for a marginalised group.

Why do they need to show visual support for diseases to support people who were born the way they were born? Are you suggesting LGBTQ+ people are diseased? Do you have other requirements before Apple dares show more support for the LGBTQ+ community? What is the full list of things they should have to do before you stop taking issue with a quick rainbow graphic that they don’t force you to use?

It seems you would be against support for anything other than gay support. Maybe Apple shouldn’t show support for any one group, and just make hardware and software that works well.

Comment

Unregistered 4U

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2002
The rainbow colors match Apple’s coloring, not the colors for the LGBTQ movement. It’s likely that no other company can copy that color progression without running afoul of trade dress issues. I’d imagine that in order to keep the progression protected, they actually have to continue to utilize the colors every so often.

The “Pride” defined watch face and bands, though, are a different matter altogether. :)

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps
Comment

SubzeroWx

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2020
Is hard press on phone icon to reach 3 first contact favorites gone? It’s still left on Messages icon.

Comment

Smigit

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2011
I think I can KINDA follow this? You’re a person that has private (or embarrassing?) stuff on your phone, buuut, perhaps someone that others don’t EXPECT to have private stuff on their phone. Such that, in a group of friends, say, everyone knows YOU’RE the one everyone can count on letting folks use your phone. BUT, you DO actually have stuff that you rather not let other folks see on your phone. So, you want to maintain the illusion of being “that person with no private stuff” while still having “private stuff”? Maybe?

But, I agree, the best way for folks to NOT see what’s on your phone is to NOT let them see what’s on your phone.
i guess but a folder puts those apps one tap away where the App Library puts it one swipe away. Instead of not navigating to a folder, I guess you can not navigate to the App Library. Search is still there if you need to open a specific app that’s not pinned to one of the home screens. Either way, neither solution makes apps particularly hard to find so hiding apps but having them in a folder on the home screen doesn’t change a lot.

If you’re that paranoid you’re probably better off deleting the app between uses, or just ensure no ones looking over your shoulder when you use a particular app.

Last edited:
Reactions: Unregistered 4U
Comment

kuwxman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Olathe, KS
They do stay pinned, I've been using this feature since one of the first early betas and it has worked flawlessly for me. I have 3 pinned threads and they have remained pinned to the top throughout the betas.
Yeah, I’m on the public beta and my pinned conversations have stayed pinned.

Now, the assigned photo for group threads hasn’t always stayed put... but that’s less an issue of functionality than a little design bug.
There were various people that have had pins disappear or not work properly in some earlier betas.
Same no unpinning or hiding messages so far in 7 for me either
The main conversation I've had a problem with has been a group message. The conversation with my wife has stayed pinned for 99.9% of the time, but I have to re-pin that group conversation 1-2x/day.

Comment

itsNobi

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2020
I don’t know if this happened earlier, but I can tell you about a change I noticed: I cannot easily create a blank home screen . Before, I could clear all the apps on the screen by deselecting every home screen with icons except for the one blank one I kept as page one (so I can see my wallpaper).

What I learned was I could add bookmarks to my homepage, fill up the page with like pages (that will appear in the app list) and then deselect that home screen , and voilà—blank home screen.

no longer works.

Update: I managed to get the same effect, by moving all icons to a page two. The system then allowed my to uncheck the page with icons. Looks like it’s the long way, from now on as the aforementioned method still does not work for me.

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.