Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
Even BMW's implementation is useless as it only allows you to unlock the car, but you still need the physical key to start it, therefore you still need to carry your physical key, so what the hell is the point of the whole feature anyway. It just blows my mind.
You just need to leave the physical key in the car, maybe in the open on the driver seat. The problem will solve itself depending on where you park...

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
Gas stations gas stations gas stations!!!! In the past year I have come across ONE gas station that accepts Apple Pay. I don’t get it. Even GetGo, which is Giant Eagle (western PA) brand of gas station doesn’t accept it, despite the fact that Giant Eagle itself does.

And don’t get me started on Lowe’s and Home Depot. Seriously, WTF?
GetGo accepts it, just not currently at the pump. They are in the process of retrofitting all their pumps with new displays and credit readers, including an NFC pad. It is irritating that its not yet functional, but you can use it if you pay inside.

demodave

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Dallas, TX

Apple in iOS 15 is taking another step toward replacing the traditional wallet, adding several new features to its digital Wallet app that will allow people to leave their physical cards and keys behind.

This guide highlights all of the new features that are coming to the Wallet app in iOS 15, but it's worth noting that many of them rely on third-party companies and services adopting Wallet support.

Digital IDs

In the United States, Apple is working with state authorities to allow iPhone users to add their driver's license or state ID card to the Wallet app, which would allow digital IDs to be used in lieu of a physical ID card.
Please, Apple, bring Digital IDs to Texas to support all your employees in Austin. I will appreciate it from Dallas. :)

I also really like the expanding key capabilities. I;lol be retrofitting my house with HomeKit keys shortly.

All these advances taken together make carrying an iPhone Mini while traveling light *very compelling* to me. I don’t get all the whining that Apple Pay doesn’t work. It’s not Apple’s fault that other businesses are troglodytes. It doesn’t work everywhere, but it works a whole lot for me.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
Even BMW's implementation is useless as it only allows you to unlock the car, but you still need the physical key to start it, therefore you still need to carry your physical key, so what the hell is the point of the whole feature anyway. It just blows my mind.
Facts. It's totally useless in that scenario because your car key is a smart key that auto unlocks the door when you approach the car anyway. Maybe if you needed something in your car and didn't have your car keys on you.... but that doesn't happen that often.

Reactions: DblHelix

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
I am actually in the market for a Homekit door lock. What I have found so far is that they all look like smart locks. I just want a lock that no one notices that I can remotely activate and verify its status. Nor, for what it's worth, can I find a homekit peephole camera.

That's the pain of Homekit man. It a third party development graveyard. A couple hundred options (most sensors and not actual devices) compared to thousands and thousands using more open standards. The only peephole camera I've seen has been the Ring peephole doorbell.

MacMikePro

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2009
Orlando, FL
I am actually in the market for a Homekit door lock. What I have found so far is that they all look like smart locks. I just want a lock that no one notices that I can remotely activate and verify its status. Nor, for what it's worth, can I find a homekit peephole camera.
The Level Lock is exactly what you're describing that you want. I have it and love it, I use to own the August Smart Lock and replaced it with the Level one. I don't have to change the battery nearly as often as I did with the 4 AA's in the August one.

nardobenz

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2019
The Level Lock is exactly what you're describing that you want. I have it and love it, I use to own the August Smart Lock and replaced it with the Level one. I don't have to change the battery nearly as often as I did with the 4 AA's in the August one.
My august one is horrible it dies so fast and takes forever to connect. I will check into this also.

Devin Breeding

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2020
Conway SC
Gas stations gas stations gas stations!!!! In the past year I have come across ONE gas station that accepts Apple Pay. I don’t get it. Even GetGo, which is Giant Eagle (western PA) brand of gas station doesn’t accept it, despite the fact that Giant Eagle itself does.

Agreed! Costco supports it at their pumps though.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
How about the ability to add loyalty cards.
Yeah, it's weird how that's not an inbuilt feature.

I've had a bit of luck with Wallet Creator, an app that lets you create cards with custom icons and barcode that you can send to the Wallet app. You can even set them to appear on your lock screen when you're in a certain location.

No idea how secure it is, but it seems well reviewed and the privacy policy says its collects no info.

Scotticus

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2021
I'm eagerly awaiting next year, when Apple announces that they'll be on-device scanning your IDs against government databases for warrants and unpaid fines.

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
I'm eagerly awaiting next year, when Apple announces that they'll be on-device scanning your IDs against government databases for warrants and unpaid fines.
Government-issued IDs might be known to the government, whoa!

Next you'll tell me the bank who issued my credit card knows my credit card number!

PSeg90

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2020
St Petersburg, FL
FWI you should never use a debit card for a purchase…

Anyone can link a site with whatever info they want:

gr8whtd0pe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
Dallas, NC

Sheetz supports it.

lionsy

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2010
The car key implementation perplexes me, who is it aimed at?

If you have a modern vehicle that would support this, you already have keyless entry and keyless start... so again, who is this aimed at? Anyone with a modern car puts their keys in/on something they take with them each day and then never touch their keys again all week. I put mine in my work bag on monday, chuck the bag into the car each day, the car unlocks and starts because of the proximity to the bag and I don't touch the keys again until Saturday.

It's a problem that doesn't need solving and people will use it as a gimmick for a week.

• Haha

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Wales
Keyless entry is something I want removed from my car but the manufacturer says no, not on my model. Don't intend to use it on the next car whatever make it is.

macgabe

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2012
Replace? That's a strong statement. Perhaps just offer an alternative to? Another option?
Where I live there's one company that seems to have an effective monopoly on all the key entry systems - I'd guess maybe half or more of all buildings use it for street level entry. It's just a bluetooth fob, so would be very easy for Watch or iPhone to do same job, but not obvious they would want Apple intruding on their business - those plastic fobs are expensive to replace and must be a nice little earner. Presumably the bulk of their business though is a subscription model with the property managers, so maybe it wouldn't be so bad for them, with lower overheads. Also as soon as there is competition everyone will have to adopt phone-based entry as it's a big plus for the consumer. I'd much prefer to open the door with my watch than carry a bunch of these fobs around on my key ring.

macgabe

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2012
Where I live there's one company that seems to have an effective monopoly on all the key entry systems - I'd guess maybe half or more of all buildings use it for street level entry. It's just a bluetooth fob, so would be very easy for Watch or iPhone to do same job, but not obvious they would want Apple intruding on their business - those plastic fobs are expensive to replace and must be a nice little earner. Presumably the bulk of their business though is a subscription model with the property managers, so maybe it wouldn't be so bad for them, with lower overheads. Also as soon as there is competition everyone will have to adopt phone-based entry as it's a big plus for the consumer. I'd much prefer to open the door with my watch than carry a bunch of these fobs around on my key ring.
If anyone is wondering what you do in the unlikely event of a power cut - you wait for someone to leave the building then jam the door open with some cardboard or the hall carpet :)

macgabe

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2012
What I find really exciting about digital ID is the prospect that we can eventually have an ID unrelated to nationality and further down the line have an e-nationality separate from physical location.

Step 1 passports, driver's licences, social security numbers, electricity bills etc on phone and producable
Step 2 these bodies make a separate ID document (blockchain QR?) simply for the purpose of identifying users to 3rd parties
Step 3 3rd parties start making their own IDs which become accepted forms of ID for opening bank account etc
Step 4 countries compete to issue nationality to non-residents
Step 5 Enlightenment. Nationality, residency and identity are no longer connected

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
What I find really exciting about digital ID is the prospect that we can eventually have an ID unrelated to nationality and further down the line have an e-nationality separate from physical location.

Step 1 passports, driver's licences, social security numbers, electricity bills etc on phone and producable
Step 2 these bodies make a separate ID document (blockchain QR?) simply for the purpose of identifying users to 3rd parties
Step 3 3rd parties start making their own IDs which become accepted forms of ID for opening bank account etc
Step 4 countries compete to issue nationality to non-residents
Step 5 Enlightenment. Nationality, residency and identity are no longer connected
Your nationality, physical location and residence should be connected. It would prevent human trafficking and modern slavery. Many trafficked people work in the shadow economy, exploited, beaten and sometimes killed. By know their nationality and legal residence we can stop trafficking and help those who have been trafficked to become legal and protected citizens.

• Haha

DblHelix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2009
Hardly any gas station pump readers even support chips on cards. I usually just go inside and pay with Apple Pay, if it's available then it's inside and not usually at the pump in my experience.
I have 2 within a 1/4 mile of my house that I use. One going away and one coming back and try to hit them if I need gas.

DblHelix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2009
You are looking for level. It installs inside of your existing deadbolt replacing the lock mechanism. To anyone you can’t tell it is a smart lock.

DblHelix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2009
The car key implementation perplexes me, who is it aimed at?

If you have a modern vehicle that would support this, you already have keyless entry and keyless start... so again, who is this aimed at? Anyone with a modern car puts their keys in/on something they take with them each day and then never touch their keys again all week. I put mine in my work bag on monday, chuck the bag into the car each day, the car unlocks and starts because of the proximity to the bag and I don't touch the keys again until Saturday.

It's a problem that doesn't need solving and people will use it as a gimmick for a week.
Me. I have a vw. The key fob is massive. Plus I have a key for a gate, front door, guesthouse, office. If I could get into all with my phone I wouldn’t have a big lump of metal and plastic in my pocket.

lionsy

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2010
Me. I have a vw. The key fob is massive. Plus I have a key for a gate, front door, guesthouse, office. If I could get into all with my phone I wouldn’t have a big lump of metal and plastic in my pocket.

This isn't aimed at you then, because using this implementation also requires you to take your big massive key fob with you! Still required to be in proximity of the car to work.

Maybe in a lovely future where the manufacturer of your house locks, your car, your uh, guesthouse and your office all agree to a standard and are happy to share data with Apple and they drop the requirement to also have the keys with you too - then yes, in this unlikely future, it is for you.

• Disagree

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I am most interested in the office key integration. I would love to not have to carry my work badge around, since we aren't required to wear it or anything, just be able to open the front door.

DblHelix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2009
This isn't aimed at you then, because using this implementation also requires you to take your big massive key fob with you! Still required to be in proximity of the car to work.

Maybe in a lovely future where the manufacturer of your house locks, your car, your uh, guesthouse and your office all agree to a standard and are happy to share data with Apple and they drop the requirement to also have the keys with you too - then yes, in this unlikely future, it is for you.
It is aimed directly at me. I love these add ins on cars and seriously considered an m2. As this rolls out more cars will integrate and by the time I am ready for my next car in 2-3 years hopefully more options than bmw. Also, assuming the use of the U1 will allow for proximity detection to allow starting when key is inside the car similar to how the vw fob works. Next car will be in the m3 price range so hopefully Audi picks this up and I can decide between the rs or a bmw m

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.