What's next for OWS?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Police have been breaking up OWS protests on the west coast...and now it's happening in New York too. No doubt to the delight of the 1%, but it does beg the question, what does this movement do next?

I mean, the encampments are great for drawing attention to the problem. They didn't just start a national movement, they started one that spread worldwide.

But if you notice, nobody on Wall Street is shaking in their boots. Nobody's saying, "Uh-oh. We'd better change how we do business."

Between that, the police sweeps and the encroaching winter weather, it does suggest that there's probably a better way to move forward.

I hate to say it, but I think our "friends" at the tea party have shown us the way. No, not showing up purple with rage, screaming ignorant platitudes and toting guns to town hall meetings. But if a bunch of Fox-watching loons can effect real political change for the worse in this country, we can change it for the better.

That means fewer encampments and more (and I'll bet they'd be bigger) rallies. That probably means moving the focus from Wall Street to Washington (where Wall Street really hurts us). It'll mean OWS getting its act together and having its general assembly start reaching some decisions on what it demands from our politicians.

Your thoughts?

2. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Rioting.

If the protesters really believe and back what they are protesting, they would stop at nothing to get their voice heard.

I think a (non-lethal) riot or two on wall street would be beneficial to America. Might make the toxic companies that should've failed before they got a bailout go away. Plus it will make some people **** bricks and make the news networks have a field day. The Bank bailout completely spat in the face of true capitalism.

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Extreme, and begs abuse by looters.

How about forming a loose 'union', and picketing the banks/businesses fingered as causing the problem?

Unions are allowed to, why not the common man/woman?

4. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Yeah - that would give the Tea Party the high moral ground. I don't think we want that.

(But I do kind of agree. Has there ever been any substantial nationwide social change that wasn't brought about by violence?)

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Honestly I'm generally very much for non violence, but there does eventually come a point where the police respond with force, and no one in authority listens to your peaceful protest. I wouldn't participate in a violent protest, but I wouldn't oppose it either...

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

"It's a great day for America everybody!!!" No, actually, it is not.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The homeless and druggies took over the camps and pretty much doomed them to extinction.

I don't think anything will happen due to OWS. It had promise at first but its just turned for the worse. The campsites are unsanitary and need to be cleared.

8. SuperJudge macrumors 6502

SuperJudge

[Citation Needed]

Seriously. That's been bandied about as a talking point, but I've yet to see compelling evidence that that has actually been the case anywhere.

9. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

What's next for OWS?

Maybe get some jobs? But hey, thats just a suggestion.

11. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

The cops were busing homeless and druggies to the protests and dumping them there!
    source - I saw it on RT news, being reported by protesters.

To the protesters great credit, they were trying to help the homeless and druggies rather than turning them away.

"Breaking it up" this morning was a major mistake for the 1% perpetrators unless they are trying to incite a riot on purpose.
    Which is extremely likely because it's way easier to jail or kill rioters than protesters.

:( :( :mad:

12. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I have to assume you're joking, seeing as the whole point of the protests is that they want jobs. Or are you of the opinion that somehow 9%-10% unemployment is just due to laziness? That the jump in unemployment corresponds to some imagined equal jump in laziness?

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Really? They just want an excuse to kill the protesters?:rolleyes:

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Come on. Its not as if at least some of their gripes aren't legitimate.

15. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

Well, their action this morning only makes sense in one of two ways:

way #1- The Mayor and his 1% crowd are incredibly stupid and think that the protesters will just go home and stop making a fuss. It's not likely that they're this stupid.

way #2- The Mayor and his 1% crowd are trying to incite something more dramatic than a peaceful protest. Why would they want to do that?

Well, they might be trying to promote the protests on purpose which is most unlikely or......

they intend to jail and/or kill the protesters and need a better "reason" to do so. If the reason isn't there, they'll make one!

You're not from a big city are you?

16. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

How? there are very few jobs available in the US, and for the ones that are available, most unemployed people can't afford the school that would be required to retrain in order to be considered for those jobs. That's one of the reasons why they are out there protesting.

17. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Can you provide the Russia Today article link? I can't find it. Thanks.

18. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

but it is already shown that OWS movement has a hire rate of employment than the Tea Partiers who 1/3 of which are retired.

This is about how the massive gap between the 1%. They get taxes cut, while the rest of us suffer with reduces services and in some ways increased taxes in the form of increased fees.

The current system it is near impossible to move out of your current class. The system is screwed up and needs to be fixes. OWS is asking for shared pain.

Compare that to the Tea Partiers that do not want shared pain. The poor suffer and the rich gain.

19. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

9-10%? where did the 99% go? :confused:

If they want jobs, I think Obama is working on it.

20. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I'm not sure that OWS (or anyone) ever claimed that 99% were unemployed...

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

22. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There are at least movements that were largely non-violent. Indian independence is the biggest example, but women's suffrage in the US (not in all places) did not primarily achieve its goals via violence. I think that violence for OWS would end very poorly, since it would come on top of their confused / jumbled message and demands. If they were agitating for something specific and achievable, then I do actually think violence could potentially be an effective tactic (although not the one I would advocate). That's a big difference between OWS and ... women's suffrage, equal rights, independence movements, etc., and it's a danger that OWS would get lumped more with... the LA riots or another event where the rioting was more frustration than violence intended at securing an objective.

Yeah, although I too am not convinced they are accomplishing anything against their goals. I agree that the Tea Party is a wrong-minded but effects-getting process (whereas the OWS movement I think is also largely wrong-minded, but not as bad as TP, and I don't think they're getting results).

It would be great if something like OWS led to the creation of the kind of radical center party that Thomas Friedman calls for, but I don't think that very many people who would make up a radical center would really have much to do with OWS or its more nonsensical aspects.

24. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Full-scale rioting —*which is inherently violent —*will only give cover to police crackdowns, making the use of less-lethal force fully justified and and even giving cover to lethal force. This is the last thing that the Occupy Movement should do.

There are sanitation problems, but cities could deal with this problem. It's really used as an excuse to clear the occupy groups forcefully. In Tucson, the Occupy group moved from one park to another to clear it for previously-scheduled community events.

Thanks Master Po, any other sage advice.

25. SuperJudge macrumors 6502

SuperJudge

Precisely.

To hear Mayors Bloomberg and Quan tell it, there's going to be a massive outbreak of cholera/typhoid/green flu/whatever if the occupiers don't leave OMGRIGHTNOW!!!1!

There was a similar incident here in Chapel Hill where the Occupy folks packed it up for the Halloween festivities and then set up camp again the following day. The cities can work with the Occupiers if they really want to.