Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

What’s on your mind?

Clix Pix

macrumors demi-goddess
Hey! A new car isn't boring!!! Or at least mine isn't to me, and after a few weeks I'm still delighted with my first new car in fifteen years! I think I've admired her and fussed over her more than I've actually driven her at this point, though! LOL! Went out this afternoon and vacuumed her and then we ran a quick errand..... I still need to take her out on a nice long ride somewhere on an expressway where she can really let her horses loose (well, within speed limits, of course!).

Comment

MacBH928

Contributor
May 17, 2008
Macworld 1994
I love the reaction of the guy in the green hat trying to absorb the prices of these new devices called computers with his doubtful smirk. Little did he know those speeds they are selling him will be obsolete in 2-3 years time🤣

The old lady describes the Mac as "most user friendly". I guess somethings never change.

Reactions: Huntn
Comment

Clix Pix

macrumors demi-goddess
Mmmmmm......Lobster!!!! In the US, nothing better than a lovely fresh-caught lobster right from Maine or one of the other New England states! Best lobster I ever had was in a restaurant near the "rockbound coast of Maine." It can be messy to eat, though, if one gets a whole lobster rather than just the meat.... That's why they always provide the hungry diner with a bib! Cracking the claws can sometimes send little bits of shell flying, and of course dipping the wonderful meat into drawn butter can get messy and drippy, too, Ah....but there's nothing quite like it!

Comment

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Mmmmmm......Lobster!!!! In the US, nothing better than a lovely fresh-caught lobster right from Maine or one of the other New England states! Best lobster I ever had was in a restaurant near the "rockbound coast of Maine." It can be messy to eat, though, if one gets a whole lobster rather than just the meat.... That's why they always provide the hungry diner with a bib! Cracking the claws can sometimes send little bits of shell flying, and of course dipping the wonderful meat into drawn butter can get messy and drippy, too, Ah....but there's nothing quite like it!

Agree.

Yes, I know those bibs; very necessary.

While I like all crustaceans - crab and prawn and shrimp will always receive a very warm welcome on my plate - I absolutely love lobster.

The first time I ever had it was in France, as a teenager.

The family I stayed with had kept an eye on the elderly grandmother of friends, while the friends were on holidays, and, on their return, the friends showed up for dinner with lots of lobster as a (most impressive) thank you gift.

We dined al fresco, candles on the table, (plus a table cloth), that butter, a garlicky sauce, bread, salad, white wine......the meal was delicious, actually superb, but I do recall that all of us (that is, the children present, those of us who were teenagers, and the two mothers) after a struggle (in vain), despatched their lobsters to the top table where the father of the family (and you could tell that he also had to exert himself considerably) applied himself to cracking the things open with the tools of the trade.

But, well worth waiting for.

Comment

dmr727

macrumors G3
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I’m a sucker for a good lobster roll. But here’s the question - New England (Maine) or Connecticut style???

I prefer Connecticut, but either way....mmmmmmmmmm!

Reactions: Scepticalscribe
Comment

dmr727

macrumors G3
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
What is the difference between them?

I'm originally from California so I'm about as welcome out here as a fart in church, but in my five or so years in the NE I've learned that people can get a little tribal about their lobster rolls. Here's a site that does a good job of explaining the differences:

Both are fantastic. But I kind of prefer the Connecticut method, which is essentially "let's pack as much friggin' lobster onto this toasted bun as physically possible, and don't confuse the issue with anything other than butter." :)

• Love
Comment

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
I'm originally from California so I'm about as welcome out here as a fart in church, but in my five or so years in the NE I've learned that people can get a little tribal about their lobster rolls. Here's a site that does a good job of explaining the differences:

Both are fantastic. But I kind of prefer the Connecticut method, which is essentially "let's pack as much friggin' lobster onto this toasted bun as physically possible, and don't confuse the issue with anything other than butter." :)
Thanks a million; both sound delicious (and I have small doubt that I would love both, as I adore lobster).

I'm from Across The Pond, and thus, while I already knew that New England was (and is) well regarded for its shellfish and lobster, I had no idea that there were (and are) such differences and distinctions between precise renditions of lobster roll dishes.
Mmmmmmmm......mmmmm!!!!!! I've had the Maine Lobster Roll but never a Connecticut Lobster Roll. I think I actually would prefer the latter, especially in colder weather! Next time I visit a friend who lives in CT, I'll have to suggest we go somewhere that offers CT Lobster Roll on the menu!

A treat to look forward to, and I almost any you.

The last few times I have had crab meat (bought from the fishmonger's stall in the farmers' market) I have prepared homemade aioli (garlic mayonnaise), - prepared with minced garlic (most recipes suggest one clove, I will put in at least four or five), egg yolk (organic, free range, and this is a dish where the quality of the egg used does matter as it makes a significant difference to the appearance, and taste and texture of the final dish), and olive oil - to serve with it, and it is an excellent accompaniment.

Comment

Clix Pix

macrumors demi-goddess
Ooh, AIOLI!!!!! I love Aioli!! Actually, right now in the fridge I have a commercially-purchased jar of it, partly consumed.....should finish it up soon, it doesn't keep forever! I keep forgetting it's in there. I like it with potatoes, as well as with seafood. Tartar sauce is favored by a lot of people when they eat seafood, but I'm more partial to Aioli, actually.

• Love
Comment

scubachap

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2016
UK
Ah, shellfish...

Bit of a lobster fan here too. Never actually bought one but the user name should give the game away in terms of how I get hold of them. Theoretically I get them free but if you do actually factor in all the incidental costs (boat charter, gear, gas etc etc) then I often think that mine are some of the most expensive on the planet. Staying at home and getting them delivered cooked from Fortnum and Mason would probably be cheaper.

In terms of prep - I don't think I've ever really done anything more elaborate than use a normal hammer and some mayonnaise.

I'm also a great fan of scallops - probably more so than lobsters. (But less of a fan of scallop dredging when you see the damage they cause first hand).

Edible Crab I can take or leave - although I had more than my fair share I tend to find they're a bit of faff to cook and sort out but I know some people rate them over lobsters. I think in the States you tend to eat what we'd call Dungeness crabs and Stone crabs so things are a bit different.

One thing we had recently which were surprisingly good were American Signal Crayfish. A lake where we train is overrun with them and they're an invasive species so they're trying to get rid of them. They're quite small so you need a lot but that didn't turn out to be an issue ;-). If you get the chance they're worth trying.

Comment

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Ooh, AIOLI!!!!! I love Aioli!! Actually, right now in the fridge I have a commercially-purchased jar of it, partly consumed.....should finish it up soon, it doesn't keep forever! I keep forgetting it's in there. I like it with potatoes, as well as with seafood. Tartar sauce is favored by a lot of people when they eat seafood, but I'm more partial to Aioli, actually.

Agreed.

Not just agreed, but agreed completely. Tartare sauce is fine for battered fish, but I prefer aioli for almost everything else to do with fish.

Actually, I love it with roast potatoes, as well.

Whenever I have crab, and shrimps, (prawns), I will serve them with a green salad (or, perhaps, a tomato salad), and roast potatoes.

And aioli.

It took me a while to master aioli -it was something that I heard, initially, as I had made of mess of it when I first attested to prepare it over twenty years ago; the secret is a fork (or a cappuccino whisk) for the first part of the whisking, or drizzling, and a generous whisk (a manual one) for the rest.

Now, it is a doddle, and I love my own homamde aioli, and have no trouble whatsoever demolishing a bowl of it.

But, yes, you ar absolutely right; it is perfect with potatoes, especially roast potatoes; and goes well with fillet steak, roast potatoes, and a salad, (or steamed spinach) as well. It is also good with lamb cutlets, as lamb loves garlic.

Actually, now that I come to think of it, there is not much that is not improved by aioli.

Comment

Septembersrain

Contributor
Dec 14, 2013
Texas
Ah, shellfish...

Bit of a lobster fan here too. Never actually bought one but the user name should give the game away in terms of how I get hold of them. Theoretically I get them free but if you do actually factor in all the incidental costs (boat charter, gear, gas etc etc) then I often think that mine are some of the most expensive on the planet. Staying at home and getting them delivered cooked from Fortnum and Mason would probably be cheaper.

In terms of prep - I don't think I've ever really done anything more elaborate than use a normal hammer and some mayonnaise.

I'm also a great fan of scallops - probably more so than lobsters. (But less of a fan of scallop dredging when you see the damage they cause first hand).

Edible Crab I can take or leave - although I had more than my fair share I tend to find they're a bit of faff to cook and sort out but I know some people rate them over lobsters. I think in the States you tend to eat what we'd call Dungeness crabs and Stone crabs so things are a bit different.

One thing we had recently which were surprisingly good were American Signal Crayfish. A lake where we train is overrun with them and they're an invasive species so they're trying to get rid of them. They're quite small so you need a lot but that didn't turn out to be an issue ;-). If you get the chance they're worth trying.

I oddly have only had king crab and snow crab. I definitely like scallops, especially in a seafood fettuccine alfredo. My biggest seafood favorite is mussels, boiled in garlic and white wine.

I'm undeniably the least sophisticated person on this thread when it comes to the variety of cuisine I'd wager. My husband even less than myself as he's got Crohn's disease unfortunately.

I'm still not well today, I'm going to need to go back to the doctor. Everything I'm eating is making me ill. I'm down to 118lbs (53.52kg).

Comment

Apple fanboy

macrumors Westmere
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I oddly have only had king crab and snow crab. I definitely like scallops, especially in a seafood fettuccine alfredo. My biggest seafood favorite is mussels, boiled in garlic and white wine.

I'm undeniably the least sophisticated person on this thread when it comes to the variety of cuisine I'd wager. My husband even less than myself as he's got Crohn's disease unfortunately.

I'm still not well today, I'm going to need to go back to the doctor. Everything I'm eating is making me ill. I'm down to 118lbs (53.52kg).
I think Mrs AFB is similar. She’s having another bad evening in the bathroom. She can’t even maintain 44kg’s at the moment.
Chicken breast, rice and steamed vegetables most evenings. No sauce or any seasoning for her. It’s pretty miserable.

Reactions: Septembersrain
Comment

Clix Pix

macrumors demi-goddess
Septembersrain: I love mussels in garlic and white wine, too! Also with other interesting sauces, too. There is a wonderful bar/grill in Baltimore, MD, that serves the most delicious mussels -- they steam them and then bring them to the table in a huge bowl, along with smaller bowls filled with the different dipping sauces, and another bowl for the emptied shells -- and the diner has a delicious meal experience!

I like most seafood -- my motto is, "if it swims, I eat it!" However, oddly enough there is one thing I don't like, and that is scallops. I'm not sure why, whether it is the texture of them, or the relative blandness of them, or something else, but I definitely always pass on them when offered them or when I see them on a restaurant menu.

AFB, I know I've said this before, but I'll repeat it again anyway: Mrs AFB really needs to see a doctor! It sounds as though things have been getting worse with her digestive system (although I do realize that right now she's probably feeling stressed due to the time of year, which can also exacerbate digestive issues). I know she thinks that nothing can be done, that she just has to live with this, etc., etc., but seriously, IMHO she really should have a thorough physical and checkup......

Comment

Apple fanboy

macrumors Westmere
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Septembersrain: I love mussels in garlic and white wine, too! Also with other interesting sauces, too. There is a wonderful bar/grill in Baltimore, MD, that serves the most delicious mussels -- they steam them and then bring them to the table in a huge bowl, along with smaller bowls filled with the different dipping sauces, and another bowl for the emptied shells -- and the diner has a delicious meal experience!

I like most seafood -- my motto is, "if it swims, I eat it!" However, oddly enough there is one thing I don't like, and that is scallops. I'm not sure why, whether it is the texture of them, or the relative blandness of them, or something else, but I definitely always pass on them when offered them or when I see them on a restaurant menu.

AFB, I know I've said this before, but I'll repeat it again anyway: Mrs AFB really needs to see a doctor! It sounds as though things have been getting worse with her digestive system (although I do realize that right now she's probably feeling stressed due to the time of year, which can also exacerbate digestive issues). I know she thinks that nothing can be done, that she just has to live with this, etc., etc., but seriously, IMHO she really should have a thorough physical and checkup......
Not a chance she’ll do that I’m afraid.

• Sad
Reactions: Clix Pix
Comment

Septembersrain

Contributor
Dec 14, 2013
Texas
I think Mrs AFB is similar. She’s having another bad evening in the bathroom. She can’t even maintain 44kg’s at the moment.
Chicken breast, rice and steamed vegetables most evenings. No sauce or any seasoning for her. It’s pretty miserable.

I've been this way since Thursday pretty much. That's terrible! I'm only experiencing a portion of what Mrs AFB goes through and I'm just a complete wreck. It's been years since even crackers do this. I'm pretty sure my doctor will want to do another COVID-19 test. Still waiting for the culture results.

Comment

Apple fanboy

macrumors Westmere
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I've been this way since Thursday pretty much. That's terrible! I'm only experiencing a portion of what Mrs AFB goes through and I'm just a complete wreck. It's been years since even crackers do this. I'm pretty sure my doctor will want to do another COVID-19 test. Still waiting for the culture results.
Hope it’s not COVID. But I know that’s not Mrs AFB’s issue. Just her faulty body.

Comment

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
@Clix Pix: Agree with you that steam mussels (with garlic and butter) are delicious.

And, yes, I quite like scallops, too, but there are other fish (many other fish and crustaceans) that I prefer.

@Apple fanboy: I am in complete agreement with @Clix Pix that Mrs AFB should consult somebody medically qualified - someone recommended and that she can trust - and have a physical check up; 44kg is not remotely a healthy weight, even if you could maintain it, while anything less should be a cause for concern.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.