What's the absolute cheapest carrier plan that supports GSM iPhones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wlow3, Mar 10, 2016.

1. wlow3 macrumors regular

I'm contemplating giving an old iPhone to my elderly parents who have never had a cell phone before (they do have an iMac and an iPad, so they are in the Apple universe). They would only be in a situation to use the phone for voice a few times a week, but they'd also use iMessage (all of their kids have iPhones) and maybe occasional mapping (but I don't see them using a lot of data otherwise).

I realize that the iPhone may be overkill and they might do ok with a cheaper phone, but I also think they would enjoy the iPhone more even if they would have fewer occasions to use it.

It's an unlocked GSM iPhone 5s. I understand the budget carriers that support GSM are: Cricket Wireless, MetroPCS and Straight Talk. I think their touted plans are even more than my parents would need. Are there any post-paid, pay as you go plans?

2. jetsam macrumors 6502

Might want to look at Consumer Cellular. They are a good choice for light/moderate use. For example, 250 minutes,150MB, and 1500 texts is $20/month. I think there's a 5% discount if your parents are AARP members.

3. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Tracfone is prettygood and cheap. I have a 5 on it right now for a visiting relative and for $20 for 3 months itvis not a bad deal for occasional use. You can also set it ip to auto refill, which makes it easy to ensure your parents always have minutes. Tracfone also runs promos to double or triple nimites for life so check out their website.

4. dubvulture macrumors newbie

dubvulture

Ting. Been with them for a few years now and love it. You only pay for what you use. They are an MVNO affiliated with both Sprint and T-Mobile. My wife is using a 5s CDMA and I'm using a 6S Plus GSM.

5. aneftp macrumors 601

May I ask what plan u are on?

If you are on a family share plan. It's just cheaper to add them to a $15 mobile share plan?

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I use cricket. $35 a month for unlimited talk, text, and 2.5gb data. They use ATT towers

7. jtaylor673 macrumors newbie

I'm on Net10 which is owned by Trackfone.

30-Day Unlimited Talk, Text & Data Plan with the first 5 GB at High Speeds, and then at 2G*

I think it's $50 a month after taxes with auto refill.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I think cricket is going to be their best bet. $35 flat, solid coverage (ATT), and 2.5gb of data sounds like it will be more than enough for their needs. After that is ATT go phone which I THINK starts at $40 for 1gb, unlimited calls and texts.