What's the advantage for getting a OWC/Crucial memory over Kingston/Corsair etc?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by riggidy, Apr 30, 2013.

1. riggidy macrumors newbie

I've seen many people praising to go with OWC/Crucial etc as far as memory sticks for macbooks.
    I wanted to know what's wrong with simple laptop memory sticks such as kingston/corsair and other brands?
    Are there any compatibility issues?
    If they're compatible as well then why should I wait 2 weeks for a memory stick from the OWC website (I don't live in the US) when I just can go to my local computer's store and get me a simple corsair/kingston stick and get it over with?

Am I right or wrong here?
    Thanks

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Plenty of stories here on Corsair not working correctly, you can search this forum with this nice tool, you'll find plenty.

Mroogle

3. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I live in europe and ordered several times from the crucial website, Usually I have to wait no longer than two days.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've used OWC and crucial memory and found both to be top notch. I can't speak for the other two since I have no personal experience.

5. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Crucial also has an European site, so they might even send it from their European warehouse even if you order from the US.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You are not incorrect. Memory is a commodity. If it meets the specs, it will work. Just get whatever meets the specs from a vendor that will back up the warranty. There is no reason to overpay for OWC's memory.

7. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

8. negativzero macrumors 6502a

It isn't just about meeting specs. MacBooks are known to be finicky with ram and not all of the shelf ram modules will work with the MacBook.

That said, I'm using Crucial myself and never have a problem with them.

Also Crucial/Micron manufacture their own SDRAM chips so you know exactly where they come from. Other brands like Corsair, Kingston don't manufacture their SDRAM chips and get them from many sources so you might see them branded differently all the time and may have inconsistent QC issues.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I disagree. If it meets the specs it will work, unless of course the RAM is defective, which can happen with any brand.

10. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I will have to disagree with that. I've helped my MBP and my family's MBP to change to Kingston's RAM cause they have the best deal. As a matter of fact, I got the ones that aren't "Mac certified". I'd say the general rules are to get the big brand and the best deals.

11. Joseph Farrugia macrumors regular

answer: I use Crucial for Lifetime Warranty, excellent customer care, & impressive turnaround time for replacing a defective 8GB SODIMM module.

they have excellently maintained forums that not only contain a ton of info, but are also a time-saving resource for general troubleshooting should the need arise.