Whats the benefit of jailbreaking the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 55test55, Jul 3, 2009.

1. 55test55 macrumors 6502

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    It would be nice if it voided the contract. I'm sure a lot of people don't want to pay the etf. ;) But I'm sure that you meant "warranty" it technically voids the warranty, but if you do a restore in iTunes first then they will never know.

3. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I had my old 3G JB'd for a little while.

it slowed the phone down.

tether (my only reason for JB) wasn't important enough so I did a clean restore to get my speed back.

many people love it for the control it provides over everything

I fell into that control factor when I first got into Palm Pliots so I'm sure to avoid getting myself bogged down with that these days [​IMG]

4. xsecretfiles macrumors 6502

There are a couple of things that I liked back when I had my 2g phone

1. Customization by winterboard themes and all that
    2. I was able to do MMS since pretty much the first year the iphone came out
    3. email/sms/mms notifications on the screen without unlocking phone
    4. I was able to do do video ....again that was back during the first year
    5. Tethering for free

5. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I suppose the main benefit is the ability to put in other SIM cards from other carriers if you travel. Or if you are a T-Mobile customer/fan and would like to switch to T-Mobile, though you'd have to pay the ETF first.

Plus, I think you can install some other apps that are not available normally and things like that.

If all you do is use the regular apps and features and don't plan on using anything but AT&T, then I jailbreaking is not useful to you.

I personally might end up doing it to my phone if I travel outside the country within the next year or two, but the chances of me doing that are slim (plus I have unlocked GSM phones, crappy ones but still, laying around the house so I would probably just end up taking one of them for phone purposes and bringing my iPhone purely as a camera/ipod/GPS).

Edit: Just read the tethering thing. I think I would definitely unlock my phone for that if it was free versus having to pay AT&T an extra $30 a month, if I had a laptop.

6. bigmouth macrumors 6502

As I've said before, it's a simple cost-benefit analysis for me. Let's say the probability of catastrophic failure (i.e., your phone is bricked and Apple won't replace it) is 1%. The cost of a replacement 16GB phone is $299. That means the expected cost of jailbreaking is $2.99 (.01 x 299) for me. I get way more than $2.99 in value from background processes, SBS Settings, notification icons, etc.. So jailbreaking is a no-brainer for me.

7. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

but what if your phone is bricked before you reap any benefit?

that would be 100% x $299 = $299.:p

and really...do you think you'll be thinking that way if it actually bricks? as you're laying down $299+ to replace the phone, are you really going to be thinking..."oh well, I got more than $2.99 worth of free apps and themes"?

8. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

If you feel that is a significant risk, don't do it.

9. bigmouth macrumors 6502

You...don't understand the concept of expected value and loss, do you? The loss associated with bricking has to be discounted by the probability of occurrence. Since I conservatively estimate the probability of bricking to be 1% (it's probably much lower in reality) the expected cost of that outcome is only $2.99.

10. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

It's damn near impossible to brick an iPhone these days. You would have to REALLY screw up your firmware