What's the Best Apple related deal you've gotten?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SamIchi, Feb 27, 2008.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Someone give you a Mac for free or an iPod? Found a great deal in the Marketplace Forum? Great Deal on Craigslist? eBay? Please tell, cause I'm interested.

I've just been looking through the Marketplace forum and craigslist a lot, although I haven't gotten one yet, I think I'll come across something good soon :D

2. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I got a CD Macbook on Craigslist back in October for $600. The guy said it was 1.83 Ghz and had a Combo drive, but when I took it home and checked out the specs more closely it turned out it was 2.0Ghz and had a Superdrive.

3. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

£225 for an 800MHz eMac. It was just after the G5 PowerMac came out, they we're going for about £400 at the time and they guy needed to get rid because of his new purchase. It even came in the PowerMac G5 box, shipping was £50. :eek:

4. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

a tangerine g3 iBook for $25 I bought from a friend... not too shabby there.

5. gonyr macrumors 6502

craigslist - an ibook g4 1.07ghz for $180, about 6 months ago

6. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Uh.. not really applicable to people looking to buy but I've had 4 Macs in my lifetime, 3 of them brand new, and only spent around $1200 total.

iBook G3- used, $500 at a pawn shop.
    PowerBook G4- New, Won via scratch off card at Tiger night. $0
    Mac Mini- New, $700. Bought it for my family.
    MacBook Pro- New, AppleCare replacement to my PowerBook. $0

I have weird luck. Heh.

7. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

Got a 30gb ipod for free from a website. And then an ipod shuffle :cool:

8. shecky Guest

shecky

like new, open box Powerbook G3 "Lombard" from CUSA for $250.

9. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

wow, that's awesome, I hope in two years I can get a free new MBP of the current time

anyway, my ipod photo broke 5 times so I called up applecare and they gave me a 5.5gen ipod, I was so happy! :D

10. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Bought a refurb isight at the apple store for $70

sold it 2-3 months later for

$230.00 on ebay

11. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Ehh! My Photo broke twice and was replaced by AppleCare. Then it broke a third time 2 months outside of AppleCare. :rolleyes:

12. Merf macrumors regular

I was with a friend at his friends house and the guy had a dead 12" powerbook 1.33ghz super drive. I asked him about it and he told me its just dead. I offered him 100 bucks for it and he accepted the offer. I figured it was the logic board and I could just buy one off ebay for 3 or 400. I took it home and booted it and it chimed I think 3 times maybe 4. I took out the 512 stick of ram and it has worked perfectly ever since. I gave it to my dad and he loves it.

:apple:

13. klymr macrumors 65816

A guy at school got a 15" 2.2ghz SR MBP for $200. He said it was owned by a business I think and they found out they couldn't use it and were just wanting it gone. His brother actually bought it and gave it to him for Christmas. It was only a couple months old.

14. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

I thought I got a good deal getting my MBP and an iPod nano for $1700 no tax :(

Guess I was wrong. Sigh.

15. klymr macrumors 65816

Hey, I paid $3003 for mine, excluding my iPod, so I'd say you got a great deal. ;)

16. pianoman181 macrumors regular

I got my macbook pro for the education discount + an additional $130 off due to a bug in the online apple store. When the SR MBPs first came out (and the store came back online), if you configured a MBP with a Glossy display, it lowered the price by $130, so I got the middle configuration for like $2160 i believe.

17. slybeans macrumors member

18. MST macrumors 6502

MST

I recently ordered a refurb'd iMac from the the Apple UK refurb store and after using it for a day or so I noticed that it had an intermittent video fault, I'll cut a long story short by saying that after much cajoling with Apple I ended up getting a brand new iMac for the same price and a set of Harman Kardon Soundsticks II for free as a gesture of goodwill for all the inconvenience it had caused me :D

19. bamaworks macrumors 6502

20. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

Last week or the week before at the Apple Store online, they had a few black or white 1Gb first generation nanos, refurbs, for 59 bucks a pop.

I got one of each for gifts, I always thought their simple lines were so cool looking in the small, shiny black or white plastic form.

But those models do scratch easily if you're not careful, so I also got a pack of nano tubes for them. I liked those for their pale translucent colors, they look quite different depending on whether you put them on the black or the white nano.

21. c073186 macrumors 6502a

22. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

23. gothiquegirrl macrumors regular

gothiquegirrl

I bought a refurb iMac this last week... Apple lowered the price the day before it arrived so they agreed to refund me the difference ($54)... BUT who ever issued the refund messed up and it didn't go through.. SO I called them again. They looked over my account and voluntarily gave me another $50 back for the inconvenience. So ,basically, I got my 20" Alu iMac 2.0 for about $899 (before tax). I think it's a pretty good deal, anyway. Especially since I'm a recent ( last 2 years) switcher.

Ang

24. sonictruth macrumors member

I won a free 5G iPod, 30 GB... from Microsoft! (Office 2004 for Mac sweepstakes) I believe it's a refurb, but I've never had a problem with it.

25. marco114 macrumors 6502

marco114

Always getting deals..

A few years back, a "Blue colored Mac with monitor $500". This was when the G4s had just come out, the Blue & White Power Macs were still very decent machines. I called the guy and he said the monitor was "Flat" but I figured he meant like a Sony Flat Faced Tube monitor.

When I arrived, it was a Blue & White G3 Tower, with matchine 15" LCD. At the time, the LCDs still cost $999.

I used the computer for 8 months, and sold it for $1200 total. Net Profit: $700.

---

I bought at the time a current Mac Pro with dual processor. Got home, unpacked it and it was a Quad. The computer was less than 2 months old. I paid $1000 less than the Apple Store price. Got that one off of CraigsList. (Locally). The Guy got it for XMas from his parents, and he wanted a PC.

---

Most of my other mac's I've bought new and sold within a year so they don't lose too much value and then I upgrade. Generally, it's not such a bad deal if you do it just before the cycle is about to switch.