Whats the best carrier for a Miltary Service Member?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RonHC, Sep 12, 2012.

1. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

I'm in the Navy and I'm trying to get orders overseas (Hoping for Japan) but I won't leave until December of this year. One thing I'm worried about is my phone. Seeing as how I will be overseas I know I will have to unlock my phone if I want it to work with other carriers. But the carriers won't do that even if I show my orders in most cases. I know I can put my account on hold and only pay $10 a month for that line.
    Im here in base for the next 3 months (Pensacola, FL) and as of now I am currently with AT&T and I really want to switch to Sprint (Unlimited Plan) but the coverage is the problem but my main focus is the best carrier while overseas

Any advice?

2. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Verizon will do a free unlock for accounts that are in good standing for X amount of months (3 or 6). Though, due to being in the military, maybe they would waive that.

The unlock is ONLY for non-US numbers. So that would work fine for you if you got a Japanese carrier SIM with a Japanese phone number (i.e. non +1 number).

3. RonHC thread starter macrumors 6502a

RonHC

Oh okay, thanks for the clear up

4. lazard macrumors 65816

AT&T unlocking iPhones for free for military personnel.

5. RonHC thread starter macrumors 6502a

RonHC

really? I might just stick with AT&T, I just can't put up with just 2GBs of Data though