What's the best/cheapest RAM I can buy to Maximize my MBPs capacity?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DDar, Jan 8, 2009.

1. DDar macrumors 6502

DDar

I have a 2.5 Ghz Core 2 Duo (Penryn?) 17'' MBP. I'm pretty sure it uses DDR2 RAM.
    Now, I want to Maximize my RAM (Not sure whether the maximum is 4 or 6 GB though...) so I was thinking about buying this:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/53C4DDR2P4GB/

Certainly sounds fast... Anybody got any better suggestions? =)

2. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

I've bought RAM for Macs three times from OWC, and their service and products have been first class.

3. Elbert C macrumors 6502

I just installed the same RAM your looking at on my 15" 2.5 Penryn MBP and have no problems with them. Just run Memtest after installing any RAM to your Mac to test them out. It took about 4-5 hours to run three consecutive tests on my new RAM.
    According to OWC our MBPs can use up to 6 GB RAM but I'm not about to fork over $450 for 2 additional GBs of RAM.

4. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

Yeah, but is it really the best/cheapest solution out there for RAM? I wouldn't mind paying a bit more if the RAM's better... But if it's the same, then I wouldn't mind paying a little less, if you know what I mean. :p

5. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Some people swear up and down that differences exist in different RAM, and I can't attest to the validity of those claims. However, in 20 years, I've never noticed any difference in RAM performance from expensive RAM to inexpensive RAM, unless a module failed.

Other places with excellent prices include TransIntl and NewEgg on certain items. The OWC RAM is fine.

6. jason.bourne macrumors newbie

GSkill Ram from newegg

Look up the G-Skill ram on newegg. It was recommended in the post concerning pushing the macbook pro up to 6 or 8 gigs of RAM.

I bought the 4 gig stick and the 2 gig stick and pushed my early 08 model to 6 gigs of RAM flawlessly.

Just make sure that you get the came sticks...I got CL4 and CL5 the first go round and the 4 and 5 didn't play together and caused kernel panics.

So make sure you get 2 sticks of each (in my case 5).

7. Elbert C macrumors 6502

There are cheaper brands out there but I don't know if they are the best or better. The couple times I used OWC brand chips they worked without any problems and they are highly recommended next to Crucial, Kingston (not the value line) and Samsung chips to name a few.

If you find a better deal just make sure the RAM has warranty and the dealer has a good return service. That and make sure the RAM is specifically made to be used on your model MBP. I've read that Macs are pretty picky about RAM.