Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Tracking exercise is easy with Apple Watch, but what about tracking nutrition and calories and daily fat/cholesterol intake?

I would imagine many of us have different recommended apps, and although I’m not oppose to hearing them (in fact, I’m encouraged to hear your recommendations), I feel I must be missing the best/easiest solution to tracking daily nutrition.

a total guess, but I hope an accurate one would be either to speak what I just ate directly with Siri, or quickly tapping food items (maybe a widget on iPhone?)

BOTTOM LINE IS:

having to open an app like MyPlate after every meal gets tiresome real fast and eventually discouraging. I’m simply looking for the easiest way to keep tracking calories.

My HealthKit enables bathroom scale tracks my weight into my phone and I only need to step on the scale, while my blood pressure monitor saves all readings directly onto my phone without my having to do anything. Apple Watch tracks exercise without me having to do anything. I just want something easier in tracking my calories which ha to be done 3 times a day, 365 days a year.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I've yet to find a quick and easy way to track calories.

What would be nice is if someone was able to make an app that you could copy and paste recipes into (in any format) and it would calculate the nutrition facts of your recipe.

As it is now, the best way is to use an app with a large library like myfitnesspal and customize it based on your common recipes and common foods.

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box
I know if you download MyFitnessPal and have the app installed on your Apple Watch theres a setting on your watch that lets you input specific calories with a Numeric increase and decrease tap thats the easiest for me but you would have to know the specific amount of calories that you are eating.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I know if you download MyFitnessPal and have the app installed on your Apple Watch theres a setting on your watch that lets you input specific calories with a Numeric increase and decrease tap thats the easiest for me but you would have to know the specific amount of calories that you are eating.

this seems like an alright solution but lately I’ve Been ordering food for pick up from so many different restaurants that i can’t know their caloric and nutritional info right off the bat.

I do believe the solution to this problem will be solved with the Apple Watch. I’d love it if I could just speak into the watch what I just ate and it catalogs it.

I currently have LoseIt, MyFitnessPal and MyPlate on my iPhone to test out in the coming weeks. I’m not a fan that you gotta pay extra to unlock the macro nutrients info in the LoseIt app.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
I do believe the solution to this problem will be solved with the Apple Watch. I’d love it if I could just speak into the watch what I just ate and it catalogs it.

Are you expecting the watch (or any device, for what it matters) to be able to guess the calories of an item you have been eating just by you saying its name?
If you have done any calorie counting, you know very well that food items with the same name (1 Margherita pizza, 1 muffin, etc...) can have wildly different calories count depending on how they have been cooked, the variation of ingredients, their overall size and weight, etc...

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Are you expecting the watch (or any device, for what it matters) to be able to guess the calories of an item you have been eating just by you saying its name?
If you have done any calorie counting, you know very well that food items with the same name (1 Margherita pizza, 1 muffin, etc...) can have wildly different calories count depending on how they have been cooked, the variation of ingredients, their overall size and weight, etc...

no of course not, but I am hoping that if I eat a bacon western cheeseburger twice a week that it’ll at least recognize that I’ve eating a bacon western cheeseburger in the past.

I also do not mind at all if I have to add each item individually. For example, if I use white wonder bread (2 slices), Kraft olive oil mayonnaise, Oscar Meyer bologna, Kraft American cheese slice, Frenchs mustard 1tbsp and 1 can of coca-cola. I don’t mind having to add that one by one if need be.

but admittedly hate having to type that in to the MyPlate app, as I’ve done before.

im hoping that I could just either use Siri, or speak it into my Apple Watch or iPhone or maybe even better yet, see a list of recently eaten items/ingredients and justadd them by tapping them on my Apple Watch.

Perhaps All in all what I’m Really hoping for Is being able to tell Siri just what I ate as I’m finishing up eating and I can continue to go on about my day, instead of taking up 8 minutes after each meal manually typing every ingredient. I know that’s a first world problem but considering other aspects in life have gotten easier with iPhones and Apple watches, I’m sincerely hoping there’san easier solution.

ripsaw650

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2015
Utah
MyFitnessPay works pretty good. Has an awesome database of foods, but still requires a lot of input on your end.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
MyFitnessPay works pretty good. Has an awesome database of foods, but still requires a lot of input on your end.

that sounds similar to MyPlate, a lot of info in the food database but I gotta add a lot on my end.

It provides good insight (I’ll attach some photos)

would you suggest my fitness pal being better? I wouldn’t mind trying it out for the next two weeks.

Attachments

• E030A44D-A257-4165-9AA1-1DD06A617B95.png
    E030A44D-A257-4165-9AA1-1DD06A617B95.png
    826.7 KB · Views: 49
  • E7F4003C-99D2-4F52-A134-DC6EE373AECE.png
    E7F4003C-99D2-4F52-A134-DC6EE373AECE.png
    792.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 8C6993E6-407C-4650-9230-B60DEF0AB6A8.png
    8C6993E6-407C-4650-9230-B60DEF0AB6A8.png
    662.8 KB · Views: 57

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
no of course not, but I am hoping that if I eat a bacon western cheeseburger twice a week that it’ll at least recognize that I’ve eating a bacon western cheeseburger in the past.

I also do not mind at all if I have to add each item individually. For example, if I use white wonder bread (2 slices), Kraft olive oil mayonnaise, Oscar Meyer bologna, Kraft American cheese slice, Frenchs mustard 1tbsp and 1 can of coca-cola. I don’t mind having to add that one by one if need be.

but admittedly hate having to type that in to the MyPlate app, as I’ve done before.

im hoping that I could just either use Siri, or speak it into my Apple Watch or iPhone or maybe even better yet, see a list of recently eaten items/ingredients and justadd them by tapping them on my Apple Watch.

Perhaps All in all what I’m Really hoping for Is being able to tell Siri just what I ate as I’m finishing up eating and I can continue to go on about my day, instead of taking up 8 minutes after each meal manually typing every ingredient. I know that’s a first world problem but considering other aspects in life have gotten easier with iPhones and Apple watches, I’m sincerely hoping there’san easier solution.

Myfitnesspal is probably the closest you are going to get to what you want right now. It is going to have a bigger catalog of food than myplate. However, myplate looks like it has a cleaner interface. myfitnesspal is kind of messy.

Myfitnesspal could probably implement the Siri control you want at some point with shortcuts. However, I don't believe they have it yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.