What's the best iPhone dock I can get for no more than $200?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by alldat, Nov 20, 2009.

1. alldat macrumors regular

In the market for an iPhone dock, and there are so many I don't know what's good and what's not.

I'm looking to spend no more than $200 (before tax). It would be nice if it had an alarm/radio, but sound quality is more important that the radio/alarm.

Thanks. :eek:

2. ihonda macrumors 68000

sony has a brand new one that has a 7inch picture frame as well. check sonystyle.com

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Get a decent set of speakers and a cable, use the standard wall-charger.

4. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

A huge X2!

5. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

In a Van Down By The River! Metro Detroit!
    x3 you'll be much happier in the end if you're an "audiophile"..... $200 can buy a nice set of speakers for an iPhone/iPod for a room.... docks seem to suck unless you get up to the $500 dollar range, and then you're into pretty decent surround setup for a large room....

6. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

i was reading crunch gear this morning ......

CrunchGear Article Klipsch

i've had this one from altec lansing for about 7months and have had great luck with it, good balance and you can crank it with no distortion (within reason) I think i got it on sale for $95 from amazon....
    Altec Lansing 612
    (i use the aux/in instead of using it as a dock because i like to "play" with the iphone/touch and i think it's a PITA to do in a dock but that is just a preference)

but for the $200 range i would've probably gone with some good speakers....

7. lollicup macrumors regular

x4

what is with people thinking iPhone speaker docks are a good idea in the first place ?

you're just paying an apple tax for a subpar Product

I would recommend the av40 bookshelf speakers ( i've never had them but dozens of people have recommended them as a good bang for the buck)

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Studiophile-AV-Powered-Speakers/dp/B000MUXJCO

8. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

um how about just people wanting something small, and simple that they can plug into without having to place speakers? one shoe does not fit all and not everyone is an audiophile. I don't always want to turn on my 7.1 speaker systems every time I watch TV either :rolleyes:

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

By no means is a 7.1 system the best of solutions, but the OP suggested sound quality, the docks are not going to provide anywhere near the quality you can get from solely speakers.

10. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

sorry but anyone who wants to spend something around 200 for a dock is just silly.

11. gunzmaiet macrumors regular

If you must absolutely get a dock speaker system, get the vestalife mantis for $180 MSRP

12. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

just put this one on my xmas list:
    Altec Lansing iMT800

I have the 612 and that one sounds good for $110 and the reviews on this one look very promissing.... and the reviews kind of rave about volume & balance of audio
    I need a "boombox/portable" one for yardwork, bonfires, boat etc and this one can run on batteries and i've had good luck with AL "bang-4-the-buck"...

edit:
    found a good cnet review: Cnet AL Review

13. alldat thread starter macrumors regular

14. lollicup macrumors regular

I would rather carry two speakers that have superior sound and cost less than "have the convenience" of having an all in one dock with an apple tax

15. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

alldat,

doesn't look like it's setup for the iPHone..... (via there compatibility list, just ipods?) might be the whole "airplane mode" thing....

16. Alan64 macrumors member

I've been very happy with the Logitech Pure-Fi Anywhere 2 that I got at Costco for around $100. Sound is good; not great, but good. It's small & lightweight, and it can be used plugged in or with it's rechargable battery. I've taken it on vacation to play tunes in our hotel. I take it out to the back yard when having BBQ's. It's small & light, and it fits easily in a back-pack or messenger bag. I've got a pair of bitchin' Vienna Acoustic speakers in my living room but find that I use the Logitech Pure-Fi Anywhere 2 in the kitchen more often, because it's very convenient.

Oh, yeah, forgot to mention that it works with my iPhone, Nano and regular iPod 120GB.

17. illibball087 macrumors regular