What's the best MBP I can buy that can run 10.4?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by KidLoco, Oct 17, 2008.

1. KidLoco macrumors newbie

It is my understanding that the new (and last generation) of the Macbook Pro cannot run OS X 10.4

My studio is on an OS lockdown since all of the software we have works the way we need it to in 10.4

What is the best Macbook Pro I can buy used (or in the clearance section??) that can run OS 10.4

Another way to word this could be, which was the last generation of MBPs' that can run 10.4?

And when buying on Craigslist or eBay how do I know how to distinguish it as a possible 10.4 machine?

Thanks for your help! I love this site.

- Jon

2. KidLoco thread starter macrumors newbie

Since I have no responses. Can someone tell me how I could find out ?

3. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

Leopard was released on the 26th October.
    The SR MBP was released on the 5th June 2007 and discontinued on 26th February 2008.

These are the MBPs with clock speeds of 2.2 and 2.4.

We can safely assume that any computer built before October 26th will run Tiger. For a while after that they packaged a 'drop in' copy of Leopard so these will work as well.

I can't be sure about the ones made a lot later than the release of Leopard - the ones with Leopard preinstalled.

4. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

According to the apple specs site, the Mid 2007 model was the last to ship with Tiger.

They had the model numbers of:

MA895LL/A
    MA896LL/A
    MA897LL/A

5. jTreu macrumors 6502

you can't downgrade if you buy the 10.4 disc? That's weird, I never knew that.