What's the best method to upgrade to ios 6 beta?

petvas

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2006
Mannheim, Germany
Probably. That was the case with iOS 5. You install fresh but can restore a backup. This can cause issues though...

I would say, lets wait and see!

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
That's not the first time I've heard restoring from a backup can cause issues. Anybody know what issues? I have a voicemail and a few game saves I really don't wanna lose.. I know I don't HAVE to get the beta, but I can't find ANY info on this stuff and I've searched and searched.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
How about waiting till the 6.0 beta is out and then asking others how it went with their backup restore?
You expect an answer to a question that cannot be answered yet.
Sorry, I figured since people have updated to ios betas before, that there'd be some help. Obviously it isn't released yet. Just wanted some advice in general when updating to a beta...

Defender2010

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2010
England
Sorry, I figured since people have updated to ios betas before, that there'd be some help. Obviously it isn't released yet. Just wanted some advice in general when updating to a beta...
I am a developer and have put every new iOS beta on my iphone (or ipad after it's release) for the past 3 years...3.0, 4.0, 5.0 (you get the picture)

I have never experienced any issues when "upgrading" to the beta software and then restoring from a backup (so all my info/settings etc is back on my device). I cannot agree with the statement that "it causes issues" as the beta itself could be causing these issues,,,hence the term beta, so it is really not possible to tell unless you set up as a new device and do a comparison.
Ps. I cannot add you to my dev account. It is full already.

Last edited:

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
I'm already a developer and started with ios 5. I started fresh back then as I got my first iPhone a week before the first beta was released. It's as simple as downloading the .ipsw and on my windows machine and holding shift and selecting restore, selecting the proper beta .ipsw and going from there right? Obviously making a backup prior to this and restoring from a back up after ios 6 is on the phone right? I'm a little rusty and just needed some guidance. I'm only a developer for the betas FYI lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.