What's the best method to upgrade to ios 6 beta?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aDRock1154, Jun 10, 2012.

1. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

Title says it all. Do you HAVE to start fresh?

2. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Probably. That was the case with iOS 5. You install fresh but can restore a backup. This can cause issues though...

I would say, lets wait and see!

3. aDRock1154 thread starter macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

That's not the first time I've heard restoring from a backup can cause issues. Anybody know what issues? I have a voicemail and a few game saves I really don't wanna lose.. I know I don't HAVE to get the beta, but I can't find ANY info on this stuff and I've searched and searched.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

How about waiting till the 6.0 beta is out and then asking others how it went with their backup restore?
    You expect an answer to a question that cannot be answered yet.

5. aDRock1154 thread starter macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

Sorry, I figured since people have updated to ios betas before, that there'd be some help. Obviously it isn't released yet. Just wanted some advice in general when updating to a beta...

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Unless you're an actual iOS developer don't do it.

7. Defender2010, Jun 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2012

Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

I am a developer and have put every new iOS beta on my iphone (or ipad after it's release) for the past 3 years...3.0, 4.0, 5.0 (you get the picture)

I have never experienced any issues when "upgrading" to the beta software and then restoring from a backup (so all my info/settings etc is back on my device). I cannot agree with the statement that "it causes issues" as the beta itself could be causing these issues,,,hence the term beta, so it is really not possible to tell unless you set up as a new device and do a comparison.
    Ps. I cannot add you to my dev account. It is full already.

8. aDRock1154 thread starter macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

I'm already a developer and started with ios 5. I started fresh back then as I got my first iPhone a week before the first beta was released. It's as simple as downloading the .ipsw and on my windows machine and holding shift and selecting restore, selecting the proper beta .ipsw and going from there right? Obviously making a backup prior to this and restoring from a back up after ios 6 is on the phone right? I'm a little rusty and just needed some guidance. I'm only a developer for the betas FYI lol

9. DanteMann macrumors 6502

That's a simple one, the easiest way to upgrade to iOS6 is to buy the next iPhone.

10. aDRock1154 thread starter macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

You don't say? I'd rather play with the new OS tomorrow instead of waiting until the fall.