what's the best mobile company in Ireland?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zefff, Oct 23, 2015.

1. zefff macrumors newbie

Moving from Canada to Ireland next week with unlocked iPhones. We're used to the typical Canadian $100/month unlimited voice/text, 2gb data sort of plans. Which company's the best?

2. deadsoul, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015

deadsoul macrumors regular

I had the chance to live in Ireland for a few years, Three is the best option now they have merged with O2, for only 20 euros on prepaid you have "All you can eat data" completely awesome. Also there's very good plans depending on your needs.

3. zefff thread starter macrumors newbie

My brief search lead me to the same answer. Thanks for the confirmation!

4. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Take me with you!! ;)

I have used O2 in the past and they are now Three, which I really like. I second @deadsoul's advice if you're in Dublin. Unsure what some of the more rural parts of the country are like w/ signal though. Where are you moving to?

5. zefff thread starter macrumors newbie

Good point. Thinking of Cork city but will moving around a bit, so signal is important.

6. mcdj, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015

mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I just returned from 2 weeks traveling throughout Ireland; Dublin, Cork, Dingle, Limerick, Roscommon, Connemara, Donegal, the Antrim coast, and Belfast. I had a Three sim on the 20 Euro plan (which is a great deal, unless you have no signal). When I had a signal, in the larger towns, it was fine, but there were vast rural areas with no signal whatsoever. I don't know if it was an issue with Three, or poor mobile service in general, but that was my experience.

7. deadsoul macrumors regular

I used Three in Cork using 4g and i was able to reach speeds around 30 - 50mbps :D

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

FWIW, I drove all around Ireland with a Vodafone prepaid SIM and had excellent coverage everywhere, even in the most rural parts. A person I was with had a Tesco SIM (not sure whose network they piggyback on) and occasionally had coverage issues.

9. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

What's great about EU pre-paid SIMs is that it's very easy to switch carriers for a relatively low price when you're comparing, especially if you're coming from the Canadian price tiers. If you have a secondary phone (a back up), maybe get 2 SIMs and see which is better as your more permanent provider. Or just swap SIM cards while testing them out.